BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 03-27-2006, 04:40 PM   #561
nesbbj
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: BOLD
Carrier: AT&T
Default How to Hook up a 7290 to your laptop and use as a wireless modem

Please Login to Remove!

Cingular now has a good support site that actually walks you through setting up your blackberry as a wireless modem. Here are the steps from their web site.

Cingular Setup of RIM Blackberry 7290 to Windows XP using Blackberry USB Cable for GPRS

Prerequisite

RIM BlackBerry 7290 handset purchased from Cingular.

PC with an available USB port.

BlackBerry Desktop Manager software installed from accompanying CD. If the CD unavailable to to cingulars site and download the BlackBerryDesktop Software v3.6 - Service Pack 3a and unzip the files into a recognizable folder.

You should be logged in as Administrator or have administrator privileges in your profile to modify system files.

Setting up the handset

On the handset, scroll to Options and press the thumbwheel in.
Scroll to TCP and press the thumbwheel in.
Type proxy in the APN: field and press the thumbwheel in twice.
Press the back button to return to the main screen.

Setting up the modem

On the PC ensure that the USB cable is securely fastened to both the handset and the USB port.
Double click on the Desktop Manager icon.
Click on Options and then Connection Settings.
Click on Detect.
When the Warning dialog box appears, click OK.
The dialog box should display: USB handheld found, then click on OK.
Ensure that the Connection: field displays USB-PIN: XXXX and click OK again.
Click on Start, Settings, Control Panel and then double click on the System icon.
Click on the Hardware tab and then click on the Device Manager button.
Click the + next to Ports (COM & LPT) and make a note of which COM port is assigned to the RIM Virtual Serial Port .
Return to the Control Panel and double click on the Phone and Modem Options icon.
Click on the Modems tab and click on Add....
Check Don't detect my modem; and click on Next.
Click to select Standard Modem Types from the Manufacturer list and then click to select Standard 19200bps Modem from the Models list. Click on Next.
Click to select the COM port assigned to the RIM Virtual Serial Port and click on Next.
Click on Finish.
On the Modems tab of Phone and Modem Options, highlight the Standard 19200bps Modem and click on Properties.
Click on the Advanced tab and enterAT+cgdcont=1,"IP","proxy" into the Extra initialization commands: field. Click OK.

Setting up the connection

On the PC, click on Start, Settings, Control Panel, and then double click on Network Connections.
Click on Create a new connection.
The New Connection Wizard window will appear, click on Next to begin the setup.
Tick to select Connect to the Internet and click on Next.
Tick to select Set up my connection manually and click on Next .
Tick to select Connect using a dial-up modem and click on Next.
Check Standard 19200bps Modem. Ensure it is the only modem checked and click on Next.
Type CNG GPRS for the ISP Name and click on Next .
Type *99# for the Phone number and click on Next.
Ensure the Username and Password fields are left blank. Check to select from the available options below and click on Next .
Click on Finish to complete the setup.

Making the connection

On the PC, return to the Network Connections folder, and double click on the CNG GPRS icon.
Ensure that the Username and Password fields are blank and the phone number is *99#, then click on Dial .
You will now be connected to the Cingular GPRS service.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:44 PM   #562
PopeXXIII

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Blackberry 7250 on Verizon working as modem!

I am using my 7250 on Verizon as a modem here in Grand Rapids, MI. It works quite well. Too bad Verizon hasn't rolled out "Broadband Access/EVDO" here yet, otherwise this might be even more overwhelming!

Details:
Blackberry 7250
Running OS v4.1.0.268 (nabbed Telstra's 7250 update and applied it )
PC running XP SP1

I originally was getting Error 691: Access was denied because the username and/or password was invalid on the domain. I found a post about how to check what your handset wanted for user/pass. The "dialup password" on my 7250 was originally blank, so I used the ##000000 service thingy and added the password vzw to my handset. (I believe this little trick could be dangerous, be careful when modifying stuff in that screen!) That was the only issue I had, but it was easily resolved.

W00t!
Old 03-29-2006, 10:21 AM   #563
SloppyMcNubble

Model: 7130e
Default EVDO disconnecting

Hello all,
Ive got a 7130e, subscribed to Verizon. I love the phone, and most of all the broadbandaccess laptop tether functionality. I regularly get 700k download speeds which isnt like cable at home but is more than enough for remote work. The problem is that for some reason I keep getting disconnected while using it. When it happens, the phone drops from "1XEV" to "1X", and shortly after that my connection on the laptop drops. The phone eventually resets itself, and the connection comes back. I cant stay online for more than an hour or so before the connection is dropped.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas for a fix? Ive tried the *22899 thing, and it dosent help.

Thanks,
SloppyMcNubble
Old 03-29-2006, 11:48 AM   #564
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

I would say that if this is happening from the same location all the time then that you are probably in a fringe area and that coverage fluctuates. If on the other hand this is happening to you from all and any locations that you try to tether then I would definitely talk to Verizon about that problem.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 03-29-2006, 05:19 PM   #565
dtota

Model: 8700r

I tryed these steps and it works great on a 7100r and 7290r. I can not get it to work with my 8700r. Keep get error message "TCP/IP CP reported error 736". Any help would be great.
Thanks
Old 03-29-2006, 11:18 PM   #566
amnon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by vifa84
Are you going through an enterprise server.

I get an internal ip address for the server ip like 10.0.0.8 and a normal client ip address. I wonder if this thing is trying to relay through our bes?
Yes, I think so.
Are there any settings I should check? Where is that internal IP address that you talk about? Where should I look at that?

Thanks,
Amnon
Old 03-31-2006, 01:08 PM   #567
eppey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentarus
Mark,

I have successfully used Bell Canada's 7130e as a modem using their Voyageur software.... follow this link.

http://www.businessonthego.ca/defaul...ath=/voyageur/

Worked like a charm... Nothing to do on the actual Blackberry!
Did you notice any speed differences using the Voyageur as compared to DUN? Just curious.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:04 PM   #568
Milton Johnson

Model: 7100I
Default VPN using Nortel Contivity Client

I have the following set-up and want to establish a VPN connection using Nortel Contivity Client.

BlackBerry: 7100I
Provider: Nextel
Modem: SharkModem
VPN Client: Nortel Contivity Client

I have installed SharkModem and can use IE on the laptop. I emailed SharkModem and was told
"Shark Modem supports sockets so if your VPN client supports proxy mode it will work". I don't
see anyplace in Nortel Contivity Client for a proxy configuration.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2006, 02:43 PM   #569
alucard76

Model: 8830
Carrier: Telus
Default Help please, a little confused

Thanks to all of you, I can now use my 7103e as a modem and surf like mad. I have a limit of 25mb per month, which includes my email. I'm curious, if I use my blackberry to surf only (not download files) will I be over the limit really quickly? Is there any way to monitor this stuff. I want to use it as a modem, but I'm afraid to incurr extra costs to my company.
Responses would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #570
aphex

Model: 8800
Carrier: at&t

I have a Cingular 7290 running 4.0.2.49 w/ my laptop running 3.6.3.11 of Desktop Manager and have done everything by the book. When I try to connect it gets to "Verifying Username and Password" and then "Error 718: The connection was terminated because the remote computer did not respond......"
Old 04-13-2006, 02:12 PM   #571
JamesAvery22

Model: 8700

I have a 7100g on cingular. I can connect fine but with full bars my browsing is still very very slow. Much slower than 1k/s. Takes forever to browse. Can I have full bars but still be in a crappy service area? I have yet to try it in other spots.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:16 PM   #572
llckll
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve

I get error 633.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
CK
Old 04-14-2006, 12:59 AM   #573
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t
Default HOWTO: BlackBerry As Modem For Laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon

Supported BlackBerry Models
Model 710X: Success (Rogers, T-Mobile)
Does this include a 7105t?
Old 04-17-2006, 08:16 PM   #574
SkipB

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Laptop settings for TMO tether using a laptop and a 8700g

Hi folks,

I been monitoring this great board for a few weeks now in anticipation of the 8700g roll out, which thanks to this board I found out went on sale today... and I got one!!! Now comes the fun of getting it set up!

One use of the 8700g I wanted to try out was it's ability to use it as a modem, so I did a little searching around and found this great thread. Following Mark Rejhon's FAQ to the tee, I set off configuring my XP (SP2) laptop but with disappointing results. After querring the modem and then looking at it's log, I saw an error line after the AT+ init string. Just on a lark, I deleted the string from the Advanced tab -> extra settings, then tried it the querry again. This time, no errors, so I tried logging on again, it worked! I tried no user name and no password, and I did use the *99# dial string.

Don't know if this helps anyone but I wanted to share my success with ya'll!
Old 04-18-2006, 10:24 AM   #575
ztbalado

Model: 8703e

I have a Blackberry 8700c with Cingular and a Data Only Plan. I called Cingular to have them add the WIX options mentioned and they could not add them because it's only associated with a Voice Plan in addition to the Blackberry Plan. Is there any help you can provide with my situation being that I'm in a Data Only plan?
Old 04-18-2006, 07:51 PM   #576
andreww747

Model: 7290
Carrier: t-mobile

Thanks SkipB.... It work for me !!! Now I need a case.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:15 AM   #577
mediabb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: T-MOBILE
Lightbulb Any Ideas?

Please see thread below.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Johnson
I have the following set-up and want to establish a VPN connection using Nortel Contivity Client.

BlackBerry: 7100I
Provider: Nextel
Modem: SharkModem > www.mobishark.com
VPN Client: Nortel Contivity Client

I have installed SharkModem and can use IE on the laptop. I emailed SharkModem and was told
"Shark Modem supports sockets so if your VPN client supports proxy mode it will work". I don't
see anyplace in Nortel Contivity Client for a proxy configuration.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 04-22-2006, 12:20 PM   #578
cleancut1

Model: 8700g
Default Tether 8700g to laptop: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipB
Hi folks,

I been monitoring this great board for a few weeks now in anticipation of the 8700g roll out, which thanks to this board I found out went on sale today... and I got one!!! Now comes the fun of getting it set up!

One use of the 8700g I wanted to try out was it's ability to use it as a modem, so I did a little searching around and found this great thread. Following Mark Rejhon's FAQ to the tee, I set off configuring my XP (SP2) laptop but with disappointing results. After querring the modem and then looking at it's log, I saw an error line after the AT+ init string. Just on a lark, I deleted the string from the Advanced tab -> extra settings, then tried it the querry again. This time, no errors, so I tried logging on again, it worked! I tried no user name and no password, and I did use the *99# dial string.

Don't know if this helps anyone but I wanted to share my success with ya'll!

Ummm. this post rocks. Thanks for the tip! I'm sure all the excited T-mobile 8700 new purchasers will be glad to find this info.
It worked for me too for the brand new 8700g on T-Mobile. So to all those out there trying to tether your laptop to 8700g, follow Mark Rejhon's FAQ (the first post in this long forum), then follow SkipB's advice above to delete the string from the advanced tab.

The only thing I would add is that when I did this, removing the string from the advanced tab did not clear the error messages when I clicked on querying the modem. But the connection worked flawlessly nonetheless.

My speed was a bit disappointing, at 115kbps shown on the connected icon and about 250 kbps at the speakeasy speedtest (won't let me post the URL), but it's better than no connection at all. I hope there's a separate speed forum somewhere, and I'm sure there is, so that's all I say about that at this point.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:47 PM   #579
neutral
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Cu/Bo
Carrier: Verizon/AT&T

I'm getting an error 718 when I try to connect.

It'll go to connect, and hangs at the verifying username & password screen, eventually timesout and says Error 718.

I've tried adding manual dns entries as suggested in this thread.

carrier: tmobile
phone: 7290

Any other suggestions?
Old 04-26-2006, 10:33 PM   #580
ypvrscr06

Model: 8700c
Default 8700c Cingular/AT&T

Hey Everybody,

I am trying to figure this out but to no avail. I have tried all settings mentioned for Cingular Blue/AT&T and 8700c. I keep getting the error 732 message. If anybody has any help I would really appreciate it.

btw this site rocks.

Dave