Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers
Default [User] Use BlackBerry As Modem For Laptop! [NEW VERSION 2.0]

Please Login to Remove!

HOWTO: BlackBerry As Modem For Laptop
  1. Introduction
    Did you know that BlackBerry can now be used just like an external modem for a laptop computer, so that a laptop can have full Internet access? This is useful when you need to do certain things that a BlackBerry cannot yet do. Increasing numbers of success reports have caused me to post this message. (Note: Mark Rejhon has not himself yet successfully used a BlackBerry as a modem; I am aggregating information). Sometimes, it is still tricky to set up a BlackBerry as a modem for a laptop, but this feature is becoming more and more common in cellphones, and BlackBerry models are following suit.
  2. Credits
    Credit goes to Scoobydoo, bfrye, bollar, VitaminB, jmounts, webtoker, dozment and countless others for their contributions.
  3. Supported BlackBerry Models
    Model 710X: Success (Rogers, T-Mobile)
    Model 7290: Success (Rogers, AT&T, Cingular, T-Mobile)
    Model 7250: Success (Verizon)
    Model 8100: Success (T-Mobile)
    Model 8700: Success (Rogers, Cingular)
    Model 7130e: Success (Verizon, Bell Mobility)
    Model 7510/7520/7230/7280/7730/7780/7100i: Use www.mobishark.com

All Older Models: Use www.mobishark.com

IMPORTANT:
    Other Models Than Listed Above: There is no modem built in. However, you can use third-party modem software called Shark Modem at MobiShark Online Blackberry Store: Home of Shark Modem
  4. Supported Carriers
    Carrier AT&T: Success!
    Carrier Rogers: Success!
    Carrier Vodafone: Success!
    Carrier T-Mobile: Success!
    Carrier Verizon: Sometimes Successful
    Carrier Cingular: Sometimes Successful
    Carrier Nextel/Telus: May need to use www.mobishark.com
    Carrier Sprint: May need to use www.mobishark.com
    Carrier Bell Mobility: 7130e Confirmed, Must use www.mobishark.com otherwise
    Currently, Rogers, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Vodafone UK are reported to work. Sometimes and Cingular works, but is much harder to setup. No confirmations for other carriers yet.
    Important: If you are using a BES 4.0 server, your BES 4.0 server, you should not use the "Disable IPmodem" setting. BES hosting providers such as eOutlook/Mailstreet/BES4U/MyBlueberry must avoid setting the "Disable IPmodem" setting.
  5. Connect Your BlackBerry
    Make sure your BlackBerry is connected by USB cable, and your BlackBerry Handheld Manager is running (just launch BlackBerry Desktop to run it.) This is necessary for using the BlackBerry as an external modem. You cannot use BlackBerry as a modem unless you have BlackBerry Handheld Manager running in the background!
  6. Modem Driver Install
    If you installed a recent version of BlackBerry Desktop that came with a 7100t, 7290, 7250, or 7520, it should include modem drivers and already be automatically installed. In the event you need to manually install them, the modem drivers should be located in this directory:
    C:\program files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Modem Drivers
    However, if you are having problems with these drivers, uninstall, delete all leftover RIM files, and then reinstall the latest version of BlackBerry Desktop.
  7. Verify The Modem Driver Exists
    Go to Control Panel -> Phone & Modem Options. In the Modems tab, you should see a new "Standard Modem" on a new port (such as COM6 or COM11). If you do, jump to the next step.
    However, if your modem is missing:
    If this modem entry is missing and cannot be found using Plug n Play, you may have to manually add it. Verify you have "RIM Virtual Serial Port" drivers installed. Find out which COM ports the RIM Virtual Serial Ports are, go to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Ports (COM & LPT) ... This will tell you which COM ports your BlackBerry Modem is on. Next, go to Control Panel -> Phone and Modem and Remove the modem. Re-add the modem by clicking on Add. You MUST select the "Standard 33600 bps Modem" (correct) INSTEAD OF "Standard 56000 bps Modem" (wrong). Click Next. You will be asked for the ports to add this modem to. Add this modem to all COM ports that the RIM Virtual Serial Port is on. You must choose the "Standard 33600 bps Modem" because of incompatible AT commands that result in an Error 628. Don't worry, the speed won't be slower.
  8. Verify The Modem Driver Is Functioning
    Go to Control Panel -> Phone & Modem Options. In the Modems tab, you should see a new Standard Modem on a new port (such as COM6 or COM11). Click Properties -> Diagnostics -> Query Modem. You should see the following:
    Quote:
    ATQ0V1E0 - OK
    AT+GMM - BlackBerry IPmodem
    AT+FCLASS=? - OK
    AT#CLS=? - OK
    AT+GCI? - OK
    AT+GCI=? - OK
    ATI1 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    ATI2 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    ATI3 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    ATI4 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    ATI5 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    ATI6 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    ATI7 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    Note: This may look different on Nextel 7520, or Sprint/Verizon/Bell Mobility 7250. This is normal. Just make sure there is a response at all, rather than no response.
  9. IMPORTANT SPECIAL CONFIGURATION STEP
    Click Properties -> Advanced and add only ONE of the following Extra initialization commands with the appropriate carrier-specific APN Setting:

TMOBILE USA Users (Success!)
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

Rogers Users (Success!)
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","internet.com"

Cingular Blue/AT&T Users (Success!)
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","proxy"

Cingular Orange Users (Success!)
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","ISP.CINGULAR"

UK Vodafone Users (Success!)
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","internet"

Verizon Users (Success!) - Keep blank
    Nextel/Telus iDEN Users (untested) - Keep blank
    Sprint/Bell Mobility CDMA Users (untested) - Keep blank
  10. Add A New Internet Connection
    Close the Phone and Modem Options and the Control Panel. Create a new connection with Start -> Connect To -> Show all connections -> Create a new connection.
    Quote:
    1. Click Next

2. Select "Connect To The Internet" then Next

3. Select "Set up my connection manually" then Next

4. Select "Connect using a dial-up modem" then Next.

5. Check only the Standard Modem (if prompted).

6. Give the connection a name such as "BlackBerry Modem", then Next.

7. On the next screen, pick one of the following phone numbers, depending on your carrier:
    ....If you use GSM/Cingular/AT&T/TMobile: Enter phone number *99#
    ....If you use iDEN/Nextel/Telus: Enter phone number S=2
    ....If you use CDMA/Verizon/Sprint/Bell Canada: Enter phone number #777

8. Click Next.

9. On the next screen, pick one of the following, depending on your carrier:

....If you use Cingular Blue, AT&T or Nextel:
    .........Username: (blank)
    .........Password: (blank)

....If you use Rogers Canada:
    .........Username: wapuser1
    .........Password: wap

....If you use Cingular Orange:
    .........Username: [email address]
    .........Password: CINGULAR1

....If you use T-Mobile:
    .........Username: (Your existing TMobile.com Username)
    .........Password: (Your existing TMobile.com Password)

....If you use Verizon, replace 8005551212 with your phone number:
    .........Password: 8005551212

....If you use Sprint:
    .........Username: (Your existing Sprint PCS Username)
    .........Password: (Your existing Sprint PCS Password)

....If you use Bell Mobility, replace 8005551212 with your phone number:
    .........Password: (Your Bell Mobility Voicemail PIN)

10. Clear all checkboxes ("Use...when anyone..." and "Make this the default...")

11. Click Finish
  11. Disable IP Header Compression
    Make sure TCP/IP Properties (Advanced) "Use IP Header Compression" checkbox is NOT checked. To verify this, do these steps:
    Quote:
    1. Start Menu->Network Connections->"BlackBerry Modem"
    2. Click Properties Button
    3. Click Networking Tab
    4. Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"
    5. Click Properties Button
    6. Click Advanced... Button
    7. Disable "Use IP header compression" checkbox
    8. Click all OK buttons to close all dialogs
    Also make sure you clear all these checkboxes, if you see any of these checked:
    Turn off "Enable Hardware Flow Control"
    Turn off "Enable Modem Error Control"
    Turn off "Enable Modem Compression"
  12. BES Configuration
    Skip this step if you are not on BES. You only need to follow this step if your company gave the BlackBerry to you. If you are at a company and you are on a BES 4.0, your Administrator must enable the "BlackBerry IPModem" setting on the BES. This is a new setting in the Version 4.0 of BES.
  13. Surf On The Laptop!
    Connect to the Internet on the laptop by clicking the "BlackBerry Modem" icon via Start Menu->Network Connections. No username or password is needed.
Quote:
This is a "Mark Rejhon BlackBerry FAQ" article.
Copyright (C) 2005 by Mark Rejhon, All Rights Reserved. Some portions may be Copyright (C) by respective forum members.
Mark Rejhon grants permission to use this article only for private use. For all other uses, please ask Mark Rejhon at Mark Rejhon - aka Marky - Home Page of Mark D. Rejhon to ask for permission to use this article. If any content of this article also contains content by other forum members, please ask them for permission too as well. This includes commercial use, public use, reposting in full/part anywhere on the Internet, publication in magazine/book or any other media, or any other use than private use. This copyright notice may not be edited or removed in any manner. Mark Rejhon reserves exclusive right to edit, remove, or restore this article, and this article may not be edited, removed, or restored by any other individual or organizations.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 06-12-2007 at 01:49 PM..
Old 01-03-2005, 07:48 AM   #2
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Can I Dial My ISP?
A: No, you cannot and you should not. You should use the existing Internet connection that is built into the BlackBerry, which is accessed by simply dialing *99# .... You can probably access your ISP email normally, regardless, though.

Q: Will It Cost Money To Stay Connected?
A: You can stay connected 24/7 without any airtime charges. It's the amount of data you download that matters. BlackBerry is always-on and it costs nothing to simply idle in a connected manner, if you're not running any software. Make sure Windows Updates are disabled for dialup connections, as you don't want Windows to gobble up bandwidth.

Q: What Data Download Charges Will I Incur?
For some carriers such as Rogers, the data charges will come out of the same existing BlackBerry plan that is used for email and web browsing. If you are on an unlimited data plan, be very careful! For example, Rogers Unlimited has a hidden 25 megabyte softcap on the Unlimited plan. AT&T charges separately for data. Some carriers are very generous with their unlimited plans; so you may never run into trouble. T-Mobile charges $29.99 extra for truly unlimited data. Other carriers may charge more (up to $150 for unlimited data). Other carriers will hit you with extra charges even on an unlimited plan. Surfing through the laptop will no doubt consume data more quickly. Instant message chats do not take much bandwidth, while heavy web surfing will gobble a lot of your data.

Q: I have BES. Can I use data over my BES connection instead of carrier data?
A: You can do this by using Shark Modem instead, at MobiShark Online Blackberry Store: Blackberry as a modem. This is third party modem software that can bypass several limitations of the modem software built into the BlackBerry.

Q: Why Use A Laptop?
A: A laptop is still useful for occasional untethered use for things BlackBerry cannot easily do inexpensively for the average user, such as grabbing a forgotten PowerPoint presentation from your home desktop computer via remote control, or running a proprietary application. Chatting via instant messaging is a lot more fun on a regular laptop keyboard if you're parked at a Starbucks or sitting on a 3-hour train trip. You can also write your occasional 2-hour-long supersized email reply by laptop keyboard instead of BlackBerry thumb keyboard. You can easily send Microsoft Office attachments directly from your laptop. Even from hotel while travelling. Some web pages will not load on the BlackBerry itself. Online banking. Etc.

Q: I use Cingular. It doesn't work!
A: It works now, but it is tricky to set up at first. You have to telephone Cingular and ask for these line items to be added to your Cingular bill, if it does not already show up on your Cingular bill, called "Wireless Internet Express" and "Wireless Internet Express Data Connect":
Quote:
WIX EXTENDED INTERNET $0.00
WIX DATA CONNECT $0.00
WRLSS INTRNT XPRS PAY PER USE $0.00
Next, you need to use the proper APN username and APN password as follows, in all uppercase, when you start the "BlackBerry Modem" connection when using Cingular:
Quote:
Username: [email address]
Password: CINGULAR1
It is very important to make sure that all the WIX lineitems are already on your bill, including "Wireless Internet Express DATA CONNECT". This is required for tethered modem operation with Cingular. Once this is done, then there is no more port blocking anymore! Sometimes these items are removed from your account occasionally (such as on January 1st start of year), so you may have to call them to get them re-added. Occasionally, you may need to override the nameservers and specify your own DNS nameservers. Please see the below for more information. As an alternative, if you use BES, you can use modem over MDS instead by using Shark Modem.

Q: I get an Error 692 when I try to connect!
A: This problem is because the BlackBerry is not visible as a modem to the computer. Please make sure that the instructions are followed correctly. If necessary, upgrade your handheld OS to 4.2 and your BlackBerry Desktop to 4.2. This will increase your chances of full modem functionality.

Q: I get an Error 628 when I try to connect!
A: Several causes exist, but the most common cause is when the BlackBerry is manually added as a "Standard 56000 Modem". Re-add it as a "Standard 33600 Modem" instead. For more information, see
Solving Error 628 and 692.

Q: I get an Error 718 when I try to connect!
A: This problem happens most often on Cingular and T-Mobile. It looks like you may have a DNS server issue. You may need to manually configure your DNS servers. To configure, follow these steps:
Quote:
1. Go to Start->Network Connections->Show All Connections
2. Right-click your BlackBerry Internet icon, select Properties.
3. A window will open. Click the Server Types tab.
4. Click TCP/IP Settings.
5. Select "Use the following DNS server addresses:"
6a. If you use Cingular, enter: 66.209.10.201 and 66.209.10.202
6b. If you use T-Mobile, enter: 216.155.175.105 and 216.155.175.106
6c. If you use another carrier, enter: 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 (or recommended DNS)
Further information can also be found in this thread.

Q: I use ACMEMobility Inc. What Special Config String Do I need In Step 8?
A: In order to create a custom initialization string, you need to read this APN Settings link. For Step 8, replace the "XXX" in this string with the APN listed in the APN Settings document.
Quote:
+cgdcont=1,"IP","XXX","",0,0
If an APN username or password is required, you can enter them when you start the "BlackBerry Modem" connection from Start Menu->Network Connections.

Q: I tried that on another carrier. It doesn't work!
Test some non-web Internet applications on your BlackBerry first, such as Verichat. Configure your Options->TCP settings. Your carrier needs to support TCP/IP without need for MDS. If other applications such as Verichat or WebMessenger do not yet work on your BlackBerry, you will have to look at other alternatives such as getting BES hosting.

Q: I use Vodafone, which is supposed to work. It doesn't!
A: Your carrier may have APN disabled for your phone. You may need to give them a phone call and ask them to add the Access Point Name (APN) to your phone number for Internet access on your cellphone. Please look up the APN Settings and then call your carrier and tell them the APN you want added for Internet access on your cellphone. If they don't know what you are talking about, ask to be escalated to Level 2 or ask them to transfer to another customer service representative that knows what the three-letter acronym APN stands for.

Q: Why is web browsing the only thing I can do? Nothing else works, not even MSN, ICQ, telnet, FTP.
A: This is carrier-dependant. Some people can use telnet and FTP over BlackBerryModem just fine. However, you cannot do so with certian carriers. For example, by default T-Mobile and Cingular blocks all ports on their APN except for port 80, which prevents you from doing anything except web browsing. You have to telephone your carrier to add the appropriate data service to your plan (which may cost extra). You may need to manually override your DNS server.

Q: What is the download performance of the BlackBerry modem?
A: For GPRS BlackBerries such as 7290, speeds go up to about 5 to 5.5 kilobytes per second in good coverage areas. Most of the time, downloads range between 1 and 4 kilobytes per second. The experience should be similiar to a 56k dial-up modem. Be noted, pings are fairly high at >500ms, so BlackBerry Modem is not usually suitable for fast-paced online videogames.

Q: I use a BES. Can I use BlackBerryModem through my BES/MDS instead?
A: There is likely a special initialization string needed in order to do this. At this time, this special initialization string is unknown. Please feel free to experiment...

Q: I use a BlackBerry 7510 or 7280. Can I use BlackBerryModem?
A: There is no modem built into these devices. To use these devices as a modem for laptop, you have to use third-party software such as Shark Modem.

Q: Who Succeeded With BlackBerry Modem?
A: There is a list of success reports found in this thread, as well as another thread that lists successful system configurations:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=2463

Q: BlackBerry Modem still doesn't work for me!
A: ....Older BlackBerries that were designed before October do not have any handheld-side modem drivers available at this time, are you sure you are using a 7100, 7290, 7520, or newer BlackBerry?
...If you are getting no modem initialization at all, remove your Windows-side modem drivers and let them be detected again.
...Use only the Desktop that came on the CDROM included with a BlackBerry 7100 or 7290. If not, try downloading BlackBerry Desktop 4.0 only if you did not get a disc.
...Also, disable IP header compression in the new Step 10 added to this post.
...Test other software such as Verichat on your BlackBerry to make sure they work, before trying BlackBerry Modem.
...Finally, if your company is using a BES (4.0 or later), make sure they have the "BlackBerry IPModem" setting turned on.
...Try telephoning your carrier to get the Access Point Name added (See this list of APN by carrier), even T-Mobile sometimes forgets to add "wap.voicestream.com" to your BlackBerry. A phone call may be necessary before BlackBerry Modem works!
...If all else fails, try third party modem software, such as Shark Modem.

Q: Can I do Bluetooth tethering?
A: As of BlackBerryOS 4.0 and 4.1, you cannot. However, Shark Modem is mentioned to have the Bluetooth tethering capability, probably by the time you read this.

Q: What is the difference between Shark Modem and this?
A: This FAQ mainly covers the modem capability built into BlackBerry by RIM. However, not all BlackBerry models can be tethered to a laptop, and many carriers disable this modem feature. Most BlackBerries, however, will function with Shark Modem, especially if you are using BES. Also, Shark Modem will support Bluetooth tethering, where BlackBerryOS 4.0 and 4.1 does not. Shark Modem can be found at MobiShark Online Blackberry Store: Blackberry as a modem.

Q: Where Did This Information Come From?
A: This is a listing of all known original posts:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1092
http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=124

Quote:
This is a "Mark Rejhon BlackBerry FAQ" article.
Copyright (C) 2005 by Mark Rejhon, All Rights Reserved. Some portions may be Copyright (C) by respective forum members.
Mark Rejhon grants permission to use this article only for private use. For all other uses, please ask Mark Rejhon at Mark Rejhon - aka Marky - Home Page of Mark D. Rejhon to ask for permission to use this article. If any content of this article also contains content by other forum members, please ask them for permission too as well. This includes commercial use, public use, reposting in full/part anywhere on the Internet, publication in magazine/book or any other media, or any other use than private use. This copyright notice may not be edited or removed in any manner. Mark Rejhon reserves exclusive right to edit, remove, or restore this article, and this article may not be edited, removed, or restored by any other individual or organizations.

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 06-12-2007 at 06:30 PM..
Old 01-04-2005, 05:30 AM   #3
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

Here's what a 7520 looks like.

Code:
ATQ0V1E0 - OK
AT+GMM - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT+FCLASS=? - 0,2,8
AT#CLS=? - xxx40;0,2,8xxx41;
AT+GCI? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT+GCI=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
ATI1 - Motorola iDEN plus series
ATI2 - RAE.00.00
ATI3 - Oct/07/2004 08xxx58;18xxx58;36
ATI4 - Motorola, iDEN
ATI5 - OK
ATI6 - OK
ATI7 - OK
Has anyone tried faxing from their phone yet?

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:09 PM   #4
Sayajin

Hey. When I try to query my blackberry it says that the device is not connected. Any suggestions? Thanks.

-Sayajin
Old 01-04-2005, 03:34 PM   #5
miket
Knows Where the Search Button Is

The desktop software needs to be running with your BB connected. If it stills doesn't see it, you may have to change com ports and find the right one. Thats what I did.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:36 PM   #6
miket

Default 7290 Modem Connect

Well guys,

While I thought this would save me a headache and provide me with a connection option while I travel, I just blew through three Cingular reps and 2 hours on the phone trying to get this setup....only for them to say, "we don't support it".

I have everything done, configured, setup, both on the pc and the BB (as outlined here and other threads) except for, getting WIX Extended Internet added to my account. I verfied with two reps that the following two are added to my bill:

WIX DATA CONNECT $0.00
WRLSS INTRNT XPRS PAY PER USE $0.00

and further that ISP. Cingular and WAP.CINGULAR are both added to my account and provisioned. However noone can find WIX Extended Internet and I keep getting error 734 PPP link control protocol was terminated.

I disabled header compression....I added two DNS server options that were posted here or somewhere else...

What gives? If someone has added the extended internet service and they have their unit working properly, can you call cingular and get their billing code for that option and post it?
Old 01-04-2005, 09:05 PM   #7
AuEngineer

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMOBILE

it's not WIX extended internet on cingular, it's something like wireless extened internet

tell them to look for "extended internet". There's not that much to look through.

Also, I had no luck on my cingular 7290 until I upgraded to OS 4.xxx

Important info on using Cingular 7290 as Modem
http://blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=2066
Old 01-04-2005, 09:08 PM   #8
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

It seems that different parts of the countries have different lineitems for the Internet connectivity on Cingular cellphones. Such as California versus the Northeast. Usually it's called "Wireless Internet Express" (W.I.X. for short)
Old 01-04-2005, 10:40 PM   #9
miket

Where can I get 4.0 for the 7290 Cingualr unit. Please don't refer me to the Blackberry FAQ because while it does say you can use AT&T---if you follow the link it only offers 3.8 for the 7290.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:42 PM   #10
AuEngineer

check out the following thread (contains link)

Important info on using Cingular 7290 as Modem
http://blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=2066
Old 01-04-2005, 10:44 PM   #11
miket

Okay--so you are saying the only 4.0 version is the link to the HK version/download....got it.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:57 PM   #12
AuEngineer

It's the only one out that is semi confirmed to work on the cingular 7290. Cingular still hasn't officially released anything, so this is just what has been used in the meantime.

Nothing seems to be missing (browser, etc.).
Old 01-05-2005, 12:26 AM   #13
miket

Thanks.....I downloaded it, got it installed and tested modem connection. Same problem Error 734. Any other ideas?
Old 01-05-2005, 05:08 AM   #14
AuEngineer

734 is host disconnect. nothing wrong on your end, you need to make sure that all of the required packages have been added to your account
Old 01-05-2005, 05:47 AM   #15
Sayajin

Hey guys. I am trying to install the modem for the blackberry, and when I select the drive under add modem device it tells me that the driver does not contain information about my hardware.

Any ideas so I can get this installed and try to make this work? I would greatly appreciate it guys!

-Sayajin
Old 01-05-2005, 08:09 PM   #16
jpl

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default I've searched high and low

and cannot find the location for this mysterious modem driver for my 7100t. Can anyone advise? I'd like to dump my Aircard 5220 if I can. I have a 7100t, 3.8 on the h/h and 3.6.2.9 on my d/t/m. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:37 PM   #17
bickyb

Default SprintPCS

I am interested in finding out if anyone has had some luck in getting the Sprint PCS 7750 to work as modem. I am really interested in getting this working. Please let me know.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:10 AM   #18
chadnexcom

Model: 8300
Carrier: cingular,sprint,nextel
Default Nextel 7520 Use as Modem

Hey guys I am getting an error 692. any suggestions.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:34 AM   #19
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

bickyb,
The 7750 cannot be used as a modem for laptop.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:37 AM   #20
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

jpl,
The modem driver should be automatically installed already with your 7100t. If not, use the BlackBerry desktop that came with your T-Mobile 7100t (since not all versions of Desktop 4.0 has the BlackBerry modem driver). If you are already using the T-Mobile BlackBerry Desktop, try upgrading to 4.0. Also, T-Mobile port blocking may make this issue somewhat problematic.