BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 05:50 AM   #1
mianesva

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Poll: Which 'kind' of trackwheel did you get and do you like it?

Please Login to Remove!

First some background. I have been a Pearl user and know well the nuances of the trackball. That is, sometimes when you click to select something, it moves a little and you end up selecting something else which on a menu could mean "Delete" or "Yes" vs "No".

Just got an 8320 yesterday.

Was at the TMo store and played with the two models on display. The first thing I noticed was that the trackball was, in my opinion, much improved. It felt more solid and with some type of click/coarseness. Somewhere else in this forum described as if it had 'sand'. I figured RIM did this based on complains similar to what I described above. I liked the new design.

I decided to buy the phone ($450). When I opened the box and started to use it I was dismayed to notice that the trackball was nothing like what was on the two display models. It was similar, but not exactly the same as my Pearl (likely due to the Pearl's usage). At first I thought that my phone was defective. Decided to go to a different TMo store to increase the sample count to 5. It turned out that one of the display models at the new store had the grany feel and the other one didn't.

I am assuming that RIM has a batch of phones with one trackball design and one with another.

I went back to the original store where I bought to phone to get it exchanged for one with the same design as what they had on displayed. What followed is subject for a different thread on customer support, but I put it here for context. Firstly, they were adamantly saying that both trackballs (mine and their display models) were exactly the same. I could clearly feel the difference (it is a pronounced tactile vs auditive difference)
and try to explain the significance of it (see nuance comment above). Secondly, they refused to exchange it as they indicated I had to have reason. Same for accepting it as a return even though I have 30 days (not a new line and paid retail) and I bought it that morning.

At this point, I would like to hear from other 83x0 users about their trackball design/experience. Not sure if this is only the 8320 or if it is also the 8300.

I am thinking about contacting the TMo mgr and likely regional mgr about the customer service experience. BTW.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:53 AM   #2
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

The track BALL is much improved on my 8820. It is much better than my first Blacklberry's trackBALL. I still do not like as much as the wheel but the BALL is getting better
Old 09-28-2007, 06:00 AM   #3
mianesva

Default Thanks! could you elaborate on 'improvement'

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
The track BALL is much improved on my 8820. It is much better than my first Blacklberry's trackBALL. I still do not like as much as the wheel but the BALL is getting better
In what way do you feel it is improved?
More solid?
Tactile feel? Does it feel grany like it has tiny clicks or is it smooth?

Thanks
Old 09-28-2007, 06:01 AM   #4
mianesva

Default And you meant 8820 and not 8320?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
And you meant 8820 and not 8320?

Thanks
Old 09-28-2007, 07:32 AM   #5
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I have never experienced the trackball moving enough to change my selection when clicking. That would surely be a defective unit.

As for the 'rough' feel all my trackballs have started out with it and then, with use, become more smooth without losing their accuracy. This is on a 8100, 8800g, 8300c and 8310r (still in the rough stage as its new).
Old 09-28-2007, 08:08 AM   #6
neuor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: By Request
Carrier: Sprint

I've got a Sprint BlackBerry 8830 from work that has the improved tactile feel that you speak of. I've had a 8100 since the day they were released on TMO and purchased a TMO 8320 on Monday. I was disappointed that the trackball on the 8320 felt very similar to my 8100. I was hoping to have this new improved trackball on the 8320 that the 8830 seems to be sporting.
http://garrettkelley.com
Old 09-28-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
1baker2g
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

wow
yeah i use the alarm on my 8300 to get me up in the morning, i hated hitting dismiss instead of snooze. i went ahead and changed the sensitivity to 70 on the trackball instead of my previous 80, i love it now for the first 3 or so hours i thought it was too slow but i got used to it. on the subject of the different trackballs i feel i got lucky on my 8300 over my wifes 8100.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #8
jaronbrass
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 241BE401

It actually comes down to the Line # on which the phone was manufactured. I've been through a few Curve 8320 exchanges so far, and they've run the gamut with differences. I've exchanged it at several stores (since they keep running out...) Here's a quick breakdown of what I noticed. (All are made in Mexico)

First Curve
Line 23, Build Date 140907, Pin Range 2422
Soggy Trackball (no 'click' feedback on push), WiFi Logo on top of case, screen perfectly aligned

Second Curve
Line 22, Build Date 130907, Pin Range 2421
Firm Trackball, NO WiFi Logo on top of case, screen slightly misaligned

Third Curve -- My Current Curve
Line 22, Build Date 190907, Pin Range 2422
Firm Trackball, NO WiFi Logo, screen misaligned (crooked by about .5mm)

It's somewhat strange that there are such differences in the devices. The display units at some stores had the WiFi logo on the top, others did not. The trackballs on some were firm, others weren't. I didn't examine the screens closely enough.

I'm probably going to seek a replacement in a month or so, once they fully stock up on them with newer production runs. I'm hesitant about opening my unit to try and correct the crooked screen. Now that I know it's crooked, I keep noticing it.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:21 PM   #9
anthonyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: tmo

im on my second curve, first one with the wifi logo, trackball was good
the one i have now, no wifi logo, trackball still good, no crooked screen either
Old 09-28-2007, 11:40 PM   #10
Casperr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I guess I have the first line - WiFi logo, mushy (compared to my 8100) trackball that I hate. I'm dealing with it, but I like my Pearl's trackball much better.

At one point I ordered a replacement Pearl to avoid possibly voiding my warranty by fixing it myself, but sent the replacement back as soon as I felt the trackball. The mushy click drove me nuts. I went ahead and fixed it myself.

I'm living with the mushy Curve trackball because its a Curve, so there are many other good things to focus on. And I can do without a crooked screen.

My question: Can you get a replacement trackball assembly that will have a click that is more firm, or does it have to do with the actual button and board that are under it? Does anyone know?

Last edited by Casperr; 09-28-2007 at 11:43 PM..
Old 09-29-2007, 01:50 AM   #11
SiI3nt

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Mine does have the grainy feel you talk about. It was a very noticeable difference when I first fired up my curve. I like it.

Last edited by SiI3nt; 09-29-2007 at 01:57 AM..
Old 09-29-2007, 01:58 AM   #12
zuiko
Thumbs Must Hurt

Mine is grainy and somewhat noisy. I like it 100x better than the wheel on the 8700g. Never did get comfortable with that.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:09 AM   #13
Hemiolia
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've been using the 8100 for months and just got the 8320.

Three observations (that mirrors other users' experience above):

1. The ball on the 8320 DOES indeed have a grainier feel to it.

2. There is more "friction" rolling the ball.

3. Pushing DOWN on the ball [to execute a function] does not give me a confident feel -- i.e., doesn't click or give feedback as to whether I actually did push down on it.

Last edited by Hemiolia; 09-29-2007 at 07:11 AM..
Old 09-29-2007, 08:17 AM   #14
30PSI
Thumbs Must Hurt

They seriously need better quality control. I'm on my second one dued to dust under the screen on my first and this new one got dust under there right out off the box the sides and the bottom plastic piece that has tmo logo on it also feel lose/wobbly I'm going to exchange it again today this time I'll check everything before I take it home. How do you look up the line I took the battery out and can't seem to locate it. BTW mine doesn't have wifi logo on top and trackball feels mushy no feedback when click it.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:29 AM   #15
jaronbrass
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 241BE401

30PSI -- The line # is on the sticker on the exterior of the box that has the IMEI #, PIN #, etc. There's a line number and a build date. Some stores put the insurance promo sticker/replacement cost sticker on top of that area (since they don't need to scan it.)

Whenever I've exchanged my BlackBerries or purchased new ones, I've always pointed that out and asked the salesperson to look for the newest one in their stock.

In this particular experience, it's difficult to say whether the newer ones are actually any better. I honestly don't care that I have no WiFi logo on the case (after all, it's underneath a skin) but the crooked screen is something I keep noticing.

Since I've been through several exchanges, the stores are starting to get annoyed, saying I'm depleting them of new stock. But, given that I spent $450 on this, I don't think there's any reason that I shouldn't expect some level of perfection. I've heard of no build quality issues with the iPhone and other handhelds... and they are cheaper, especially now with the iPhone. (Granted, I'd never switch -- but it is a valid comparison.)

Instead of doing another exchange, I may just return this and buy another one. That way they can't complain that I'm depleting their stock.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:17 AM   #16
mianesva

Default When people indicate "Firm Trackball"... does it mean firm click or firm rolling?

I have a smooth (no grit) trackball with some play in it and kind of mushy click.

I prefer the gritty rolling vs the smooth one as it gives me better sense of control. I obviously prefer a very firm click when pushing it vs the smushy one.

My production line is 10 and the date 100907
Old 09-30-2007, 03:28 PM   #17
flar
Thumbs Must Hurt

I sometimes have the "move the selection while trying to click" problem, but not very often.

One place I do have the problem all the time is when doing a "Crop and Save" to attach a picture to a contact. I swear the trackball is hyper-sensitive in that one app (and I even have one of the "gritty" trackballs that is less prone to sliding around while clicking)...
Closed Thread