Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 10:47 PM   #1
mariam

Model: 7290
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default How to restore a state db

Please Login to Remove!

I had to delete a user from the BES and delete the state database that went with it in order to resolve a blackberry activation issue (no matter what we tried, activation would not work on new device until we removed and re-added the user).
After doing that, the user's folders on the Blackberry device no longer contain the messages that the user had filed into it before. According to BB support, when the device's backup was restored into the new device, the folders with their content were there. However, once the wireless e-mail reconciliation kicks in, and the server finds that the state db is new, it removes all the content of those folders. I was able to restore the old state db from our backups and I have it in a temporary location right now. Has anyone tried pointing the user's profile database to a different state database than the one it is already looking at? Any thoughts on what this might do? If we go back to the old device which has the folders and their content and put back the old state database that referenced the same messages, etc. wouldn't it work? Need some advice. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2007, 10:49 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Moved dto BES Admin Corner
Old 08-30-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Why go through all the trouble simply to see email that has already been filed...why not go into the user's folder and try to cut the email messages, wait a few seconds and do a paste. Verify if the BES picks up these messages and adds the id to the state db.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
mariam

Default Recreating State Database

As long as I have folder re-direction enabled, I can cut the messages in the folder on Notes and then paste them and they will be picked up by the BB Device. However, they also end up in the device's Inbox. Is there a way to "hide" these redirected messages like we can do with "filed" messages? Seems annoying that they would show up on the Inbox of the device. Help!
Old 08-30-2007, 03:44 PM   #5
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariam View Post
Has anyone tried pointing the user's profile database to a different state database than the one it is already looking at? Any thoughts on what this might do? If we go back to the old device which has the folders and their content and put back the old state database that referenced the same messages, etc. wouldn't it work? Need some advice.
- In theory you can restore the state database.
- Modify the user's profile in the BlackBerry Users Profiles DB to change the StateDBName field using an agent to point to the restore state DB.
- Perform Enterprise Activation

I say in theory cause I don't think anyone would want to do this.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:12 PM   #6
mariam

Default Restoring state database

Thanks for the info. That is just what I was trying to do. The reason why someone would want to do this is if they use their bb like a pc and have "filed" into folders lots of important documents that they want to keep accessing from the bb device. Once I deleted their state database, they lost the content of those folders when wireless reconciliation kicked in. I actually haven't been able to reproduce this - my blackberry has been acting up. Can anyone else confirm this is just what should have happened? Even though I had a backup of the user's device, when I restored the backup, the folders and their content were there, but apparently, when I enabled wireless reconciliation, the contents disappeared. So, back to the discussion of restoring the state db, if I run an agent on the user's profile db so that StateDBName field is now the restored state db, and I activate the old device, would there be a mismatch? The user's old device is in the "old" state where it had all the folders and their content. Do I need to worry about Domino running when I do this? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! I love this forum! I am so glad I found it! THanks again!
Old 08-31-2007, 02:10 AM   #7
boma0021
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Pearl

and why not sync the folder to the mail db?
Old 08-31-2007, 07:38 AM   #8
mariam

Default Restoring State Database

How do I "synch the folder to the mail database"? I am not sure how I would do that. Remember, the user can see her folders and their content from her Notes client. She has an old blackberry that still has her folders and their content. Her new blackberry no longer has the folders and their content. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 08-31-2007, 08:33 AM   #9
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

You have to remember that BES sync mail from the point when the account is enabled and forward. It does not go backward and sync past mail.

The senario of restoring the statedb is for bringing BES account back to a point in time. If the point in time is 2 weeks ago you cannot sync back the last 2 weeks of mail. You can mess around with the prepopulation setting to get the messages back but if the user already filed her messages she would have to put them back into Inbox, perform EA, and re-filed.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:40 AM   #10
mariam

Default Restoring state db

So, technically, if the user wants to revert back to 2 weeks ago, and I restore her state db from 2 weeks ago, and she doesn't care that she is going to miss the last 2 weeks of e-mails that will get wiped out, would there be any mismatch or problem when I do this? I would restore the state db, run an agent on her profiles database so the "StateDbFile" filed points to her restored state db, activate her "old" device that was in synch with the restored db and it would be as if it was 2 weeks ago. Auto-population only occurs if the account is removed and readded (whether state db is removed or not, right?).
Old 08-31-2007, 11:32 AM   #11
mahoward
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900

I have had this issue before from attorneys who expect their BlackBerry to mirror Lotus Notes. I didn't have a solution except to "educate" them that a BlackBerry has it's roots as a pager device and was never meant to be a mirror or replacement for a full desktop client. It is a mobile device for mobile access to current email with limited historical functionality.

If this is not acceptable to your BB user then I feel for you. Other wireless solutions do try to create a full replacement however they have their attendent issues as well.

On a side note the next version of the device software & BES will supposedly allow you to search your entire mailbox and retrieve messages to the device on demand, this may mitigate this issue in the future.

Idokorro Citrix or Mobile Desktop client on BB will also allow full-but-squishy Lotus Notes client access ... that is also an interesting direction for the future when 3G speeds are the norm.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:56 PM   #12
mariam

Default Restoring state database

Let's add more to the maze. If I delete my account from the BES and remove my state database, and later restore a backup I had of my device (which contained the folders with their content), once I activate the device and enable wireless reconciliation, I don't lose the content of the folders (if my "on conflicts" setting on my device options for e-mail reconciliation is set to "handheld wins". What does this mean? It is pushing the information that was on my backup to the new state db and then I don't lose the contents? If I change it to "mailbox wins", then strange things happen - like I lose the content of some of the folders and not all the content in others. I am just more puzzled now than I was when I first started. If anyone has any ideas or ways to clarify this, I would greatly appreciate them!!! THanks!
Closed Thread