BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
gmn314

Model: 8700
Carrier: Verizon
Default Protecting the screen?

Please Login to Remove!

I really like the small size of my curve and hate the idea of making it bulkier by wrapping it in a leather case. I also feel like paying $24 for a screen protector is a bit of a waste, I can't imagine how it can stay on securely, a few times of putting it in my pocket is sure to peel it off!

How about this, don't they sell the OEM shell itself? I'm sure they can be found on EBay, if not now, in the near future. If I get a whole shell (front cover and battery door), then if the curve gets too scratched up, I can just replace the shell...right?
Old 06-22-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Right! Look at the cost of older model shells (8700 and 8100) and you'll think your $24 is a steal.

And, I don't know who is charging you $24 for a screen protector--but ScreenPatronus about as good as any out there (I think the best) and cost about $6-7 for 3.
eBay: 3 Screen Protector RIM Blackberry Curve 8300 7210 7230 (item 110141216340 end time Jun-23-07 18:06:35 PDT)
Old 06-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
ToddziLLa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

I use this. I love it!

BlackBerry Curve 8300 Screen Protector Shield
Old 06-22-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
King-B
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
PIN: 23F8E72F
Carrier: SunCom

From what I hear, "Best Skins Ever" is the same quality as sheildzone for much cheaper.

Best Skins Ever RIM Blackberry 8300 Curve Total Body Skin
Old 06-22-2007, 01:02 PM   #5
Brad00111

Model: 8300C
Carrier: ATT

I like my Screen Patronus, its $8.50 for 2 and I almost never have to change them, no bubbles ever to worry about and you do not have to use water to put them on. best bet in my book, I use them on my iPod, Digital Camera and for the last3 BB's I have had.

ScreenPatronus, Screen protector - the difference is amazing.

RIM 950 > Nextel 6510 > Nextel 7520 > Cingular 7100 > Cingular 8700 > Cingular 8800 > Cingular 8300
Old 06-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
vandal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad00111 View Post
I like my Screen Patronus, its $8.50 for 2 and I almost never have to change them, no bubbles ever to worry about and you do not have to use water to put them on. best bet in my book, I use them on my iPod, Digital Camera and for the last3 BB's I have had.

i dont like skins because they catch in your pocket, im going for the hardcase, anyone have any recommendations on hardcases?
Old 06-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
sdetweil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad00111 View Post

thanks.. 6.50 for 3 via ebay!..

Sam
Old 06-22-2007, 01:44 PM   #8
jgoldenb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: rogers

Screen patronus protectors are the best. i use them and have them in my pocket and they never peel off. you hardly even know theyre there
Old 06-22-2007, 01:55 PM   #9
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal View Post
i dont like skins because they catch in your pocket, im going for the hardcase, anyone have any recommendations on hardcases?
Therefore... don't put the phone in your pocket! My ScreenPatronus don't "catch" and peel off without a dang good reason to--like my fingernail.

A good hardcase? Get this, a good price and the owner of this site is a respected member of this Forum.
eSHOPlimited.com - Your one place to buy authentic BRAND NEW OEM accessories
Look at the leather holster without clip.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:58 PM   #10
PabloTX

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I'm a big fan of the Shieldzone stuff. Have it on my iPod, Motorola Q, and have two waiting for the two Curves I'll be picking up later today. Basically anything that doesn't have a touchscreen.

Shieldzone also has a great warranty, and even offered to send me a free one when I thought I had to swap my Q out with Verizon because it was giving me trouble. I ended up fixing the problem, but it was nice to know I wouldn't have to buy a new one.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:07 PM   #11
vandal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Therefore... don't put the phone in your pocket! My ScreenPatronus don't "catch" and peel off without a dang good reason to--like my fingernail.

A good hardcase? Get this, a good price and the owner of this site is a respected member of this Forum.
eSHOPlimited.com - Your one place to buy authentic BRAND NEW OEM accessories
Look at the leather holster without clip.
i like to put the curve in my pocket because its so small. I think after business hours, putting my blackberry on my belt is a bit nerdy. A thin hardcase is good for me i think.

That link doesnt have any hardcases, but i'll keep looking, thanks!
Old 06-22-2007, 02:10 PM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

lol, you just want to impress the chics "after hours" with how happy you are to see them.

You want a "hard" case, not leather? Look at the sponsors on this Forum, as well as this.. first choice from a simple Google search:
Cases - Hard Cases - CrackBerry.com - Software and Accessories
Old 06-22-2007, 02:29 PM   #13
vandal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
lol, you just want to impress the chics "after hours" with how happy you are to see them.

You want a "hard" case, not leather? Look at the sponsors on this Forum, as well as this.. first choice from a simple Google search:
Cases - Hard Cases - CrackBerry.com - Software and Accessories
hahah more like "im not attached to work...sorta..still"
Old 06-22-2007, 02:37 PM   #14
PabloTX

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I've also never had an issue with the Invisible Shield on my Q while in my pocket.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:11 PM   #15
BoxWave
Platinum Sponsor

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cingular

After getting numerous requests, we finally got our ClearTouch Crystal screen protectors for the BlackBerry Curve! Check it out at BoxWave.

Chris-
BoxWave Accessories
Old 06-22-2007, 07:22 PM   #16
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

I highly recommend getting a screen protector and a skin case for the phone. If you decided to sell it on Ebay in the future, you actually increase the value of the phone.

I recommend getting Best Skins Ever which someone already mention. If you install it correctly, you don't have to worry about it coming off.

I will also recommend getting Seidio skin case BUT they don't make one for the 8300 yet. Those are easy to take in and out of your pockets.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:04 AM   #17
mmcapone
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

I just ordered the "total body skin" from Best Skins Ever. I will let you guys know how it is once it arrives.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #18
dcboy78

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcapone View Post
I just ordered the "total body skin" from Best Skins Ever. I will let you guys know how it is once it arrives.
I've installed my BSE full body Curve skin and it's awesome. The sides are difficult to put on, however - but worth the patience.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #19
rdangel

Carrier: cingular
Default Own both the BSE and Sheildzone product

I have both the shieldzone and best skins ever protectors for 2 different devices.

Over time BOTH will peel around the edges depending on your device's curves on the edge.
They seem to be the exact same material, but the Shieldzone site has a better guarantee and is willing to replace the skin for free if you have any problems. (they should for what they are charging)

The material they both use are made by 3M and you can also get these skins for the hood of your car (I have seen them applied on cars at the dealers)

Shieldzone gives you an application solution and a convenient spray bottle as well as a soft plastic squeegee to apply the skin. (I ended up using their squeegee and solution to apply a portion of my BSE skin to my curve.

BestSkins ever gives you just the shield, but, you get what you pay for. I made some solution according to their instructions and am happy so far with the results.
I will note that around the corner of my BSE skin is beginning to lift from the constant rubbing of my 8300 when i put it in and out of the holster.

Hope this helps
Old 07-12-2007, 10:50 PM   #20
BoogerB

Carrier: ATT

I just received my Best Skins Ever skin today. I'm pretty pleased with it, the screen clarity does look a bit worse, but that may just be a tag extra moisture that hasn't evaporated. Application was easy enough, for me at least. I did a piece and waited around and then another... over the course of the evening. This, so that I could still use the device instead of fearing something would slip or move.

The front screen piece went on the best and smoothest, hopefully it will clear up a little. If not, no big deal very few plastics/polymers are near 100% transparent, though close. I'd best the average person wouldn't/couldn't notice it.

Fitment of the pieces is pretty nice, though I could see the bottom pieces being better suited as one piece, instead of two. I am very pleased with the cut of the material. As a graphic designer and print shop manager I deal with plotters/vinyl cutters daily and the shape of the material and strength of it is very nice to work with.

I'll suggest using very little water/solution when applying, as there isn't much needed. Clean the surfaces with a dab of alcohol on a lent free cloth for a nice application.

For 8.99 shipped, I expected a lot less. I liked the idea that it came with the back cover, the side pieces aren't that big of a deal, but I put them on anyway. I'd bet they would be the first to peel, if anything. I'm completely happy with it and hope it lasts a good while, if not, its only a few bucks to help protect a couple hundred dollar item.
Closed Thread