Old 05-25-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her
Default Worse than waiting for a Curve

Please Login to Remove!

So what's worse than waiting for the Curve to be released?

Getting one on O2 and not being able to use it cause you're waiting for an unlock code?!

I got mine today from scancom. Excellent transaction by the way. However, can't use it till I get it unlocked.

So far, I love the form factor much better than the 8800. What's interesting is that the box is not branded O2 and inside, there's no docs with O2 branding. At first glance, it looks like it's a phone straight from RIM.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Congrats on your almost working Curve!!! Two questions I got for ya.
1- How much did it cost you after all the shipping and what not?
2- After you unlock it, is there any specific software that is going to have to be loaded into the device so that you can access Media and the Web?

Best of luck with your new Berry!
Old 05-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Once he gets it unlocked all he needs to do is insert his sim card and all required service books will get pushed to his device and he will be able to access the web.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
FarSeide
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkomatic View Post

Getting one on O2 and not being able to use it cause you're waiting for an unlock code?!

I got mine today from scancom. Excellent transaction by the way. However, can't use it till I get it unlocked.

So far, I love the form factor much better than the 8800. What's interesting is that the box is not branded O2 and inside, there's no docs with O2 branding. At first glance, it looks like it's a phone straight from RIM.
with envy....
Old 05-25-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
cliffr39
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8130
PIN: ask
Carrier: vzw

Quote:
Reading about other people getting them...

lol good luck with unlock
Old 05-25-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffr39 View Post
Reading about other people getting them...

lol good luck with unlock
LOL... I think it's still worse having one here and not getting email on it. Although it is nice to play around with it a little.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:16 PM   #7
gambino
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMOBILE

I havent still recieved my unlock code. O2 is now saying it will take 7-10days for this to happen.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:24 PM   #8
BB8100
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

I have ordered unlock code from three vendors. I have had it since Tuesday. I ordered the unlock code Friday (one week ago). All say they will have it shortly. This is not a shortly wait. For those vendors I have ordered from the first one to get it to me will get the extra benefit of being announced here. This is torture.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #9
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Once he gets it unlocked all he needs to do is insert his sim card and all required service books will get pushed to his device and he will be able to access the web.
That's it huh, Thank You John! The reason I ask is because I had found a place in NYC that had an unopened Voda version, but told me if I open it I own it. And he thought there was more to it then just slippin in the sim card, Kind of scarred me off. Anyway, wasn't meant to be . I'll just wait for the AT&T version, especially seeing that the codes are not yet available to unlock it anyway.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:42 PM   #10
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

It's interesting... if I go to Mobile Services under Options, I see it picking up AT&T as the carrier but still invalid SIM... :(
Old 05-25-2007, 06:05 PM   #11
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile
Default Unlocking a BB newb.

I know slim to little about unlocking phones. But I'm planning on getting one here in the states. But I still use at&t wirless sim card, before it merged with cingular. How hard and how $ does it run to unlock a BB? Will I still be able to use my original at&t wireless sim card(one of the earliest GSM models I'm guessing ...I've heard its one of the 32k ones) on the new blackberry or will I need to sign my life away with another contract?
Old 05-25-2007, 06:12 PM   #12
markhutchison
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Wink

Quote:
It's interesting... if I go to Mobile Services under Options, I see it picking up AT&T as the carrier but still invalid SIM... :(
What you're seeing is the device recongnizing that the visible network is owned by AT&T. While the device is locked, however, you would need an O2 SIM that is active and eligible for roaming on AT&T's network.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:10 PM   #13
jaronbrass
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: 241BE401
Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm in the same boat. I ordered my 8300 from Scancom today, and it should be delivered (according to FedEx) on Tuesday. They provided me with a company that would be able to unlock it, and said that several previous US customers for the 8300 were able to use this company.

The company they listed was MrUnlock(.com). When I first contacted them, they said the handset was new and they didn't have the service... About 10 minutes later, their rep e-mailed me back to state their supplier COULD in fact unlock it. I bit, and PayPal'd over the £60 for the service. The turnaround time is approximately 2 to 3 days. Fortunately, the person at Scancom e-mailed me the handset's IMEI so I don't have to wait until it is delivered.

Has anybody else had success with it yet? I have a few mates and friends back in the UK who use O2, so if worse comes to worse, I can more than likely have them ring customer services and get the unblock code.

The handset was expensive, and since they offer no returns, I hope this isn't going to end up being an overpriced paperweight.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:20 PM   #14
BB8100
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

I have had a handset from scancom since tuesday and I have been trying to get unlocked since the Friday before (one week ago) No luck thus far. If someone can unlock they should pm me.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:56 AM   #15
kasperapd
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: AT&T

Have you tried GSM Phone Source? They state on their website they can unlock the Curve from any carrier.

Please try a Search
Old 05-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #16
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

GSMphonesource can unlock, only problem is they won't supply you with the unlocking code until June 5th.
Closed Thread