BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 05:28 PM   #1
rudyo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Default Can Outlook handle both pop mail & BES?

Please Login to Remove!

I am trying to figure out how to use Outlook 2003 for both pop mail & also a BES hosted account.
Currently my company runs our own pop email server. My outlook is setup to receive several email accounts from that server - actually about 7 or 8. I receive my main email account and also several other pop accounts for the postmaster, admin account and several specific accounts for technical areas of our company. Currently I recieve my main email into one .pst file and the others into another .pst

I have a new 7250 on verizon and I want to migrate or move only my main email to a BES hosted account, leaving the others as is. I do not want to sync or recieve all the other accounts on my BB, only my main account. I also want to sync my calendar, contacts etc.

I was planning on forwarding my main email account to my new BES account right at our pop email server, and continue to recieve the other pop accounts as is.
Can outlook 2003 handle both pop mail & exchange mail?
If not, is it possible to open another instance of outlook for my pop mail?

Currently I am forwarding only my main account to BWC, but want to change because the limitations.

Any ideas on how to handle this?
Old 05-01-2005, 06:06 PM   #2
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

It's easy... setup you BES account... then add another email account of the POP3 type from Tools -> Accounts.

cd.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:09 PM   #3
corey@12mile

Maybe I should elaborate...

Setup your BES account, which is going to be a typical Exchange Server connection. You may have to configure RPC over HTTP if you are using a third party BES hosting service.

Once that is setup, you can setup your pop3 account from the Accounts option under the tools menu... what to watch out for, as I mentioned in another post is... Unless you leave you Outlook on all the time, you will only get pop3 mail to your handheld when it's checked via Outlook. If you forward your pop3 to a BWC account, you will get pop3 mail almost instantly, but as soon as your Outlook checks the pop3 and throw it into your mailbox in Outlook, which hits the Exchange server, you will get a second copy of that mail on your handheld.

cd.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:33 PM   #4
rudyo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the info. Ok lets see if I understand:

For my main current pop3 email account (the only one I want on my BB) I set a forward option right at my pop server. It forwards right to my new BES exchange account. This mail will get sent to my BB and to my newly configured outlook whenever it is open.

I quit using my BWC account. ( I was forwarding pop mail to it to be sent to my BB)

I start with a fresh profile in Outlook and add an exchange server account. I configure it properly to use my new BES account.

I then add my other pop3 accounts that will pull from my existing pop server.

This all seems pretty simple and correct. I have never worked with exchange so the only thing I'm a little unlcear on is what happens when my outlook receives all those other pop3 mail into the inbox. Will it get sent to the exchange server and ultimately to my BB? I don't really want that to happen. What if I receive that other pop mail to a subfolder or even to another pst file? Right now they are mostly filed when received into subfolders using rules.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2005, 07:33 AM   #5
corey@12mile

Does the Exchange server also handle smtp mail? If it handles smtp mail (ie. [email address] is received by the exchange server) then you're laughing... forward all your pop3 accounts to you Exchange/BES account and in minutes you're set.

cd.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:18 PM   #6
rudyo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Don't they have to act as an smtp server? I can't move my domain to them, I have 150 other mail users on the mail server.

While I suppose I could forward everything to the BES server, I'm not sure I want to. Doesn't exchange keep everything on the server rather than the desktop? The volume is quite high on some of those other accounts and I would have to purchase more storage on the exchange server.

With the number of users we have, we should probably be on exchange anyway, but just haven't allocated the resources to move over to exchange.

I'm going to just sign up to one of them today and see what happens.
Closed Thread