BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
Rendition

Model: 8700
Carrier: Tmobile
Default How Scaleable is Blackberry in Number of Contacts?

Please Login to Remove!

I've used Palm PDAs/Treos for over 10 years and have THOUSANDS of contacts and calendar entries. I've reached the end point where my Treo starts crashing because I have too many contacts. So I literally have to delete old calendar entries and contacts every couple months to keep it from crashing as I enter new data.

How scaleable is the Blackberry OS? Has anyone had any issue with thousands of contacts? Thanks.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
jtdarden
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8xxx
PIN: member2393
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

Wirelessly posted (8703e Sprint: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I have had up to 3000 contacts in my BB with over 3 years of appointments in the calendar. Never had it crash due to this, except when I had an older BB with only 8MB of memory. The memory capacity is now 64MB, and the newer models have memory card slots.

That being said, I would have to say that I realized one day that I really only used 1/3rd of the contacts in my BB on a semi regular basis, and have since scaled down to only about 1300.

Keep in mind that the memory capacity will be different for each user. A contact that you have only an email address for takes up less space (fewer MBs) than a contact that you have 2 email addresses, home phone, mobile phone, fax number, notes and a category assigned. And, the number of contacts you can hold is also dependent on the number of other applications you have loaded. It is not an exact science.

My advice would be to get one of the newer Blackberries with a memory card, and take some time to clean up your database. Spring Cleaning ehh? You can create a back-up file of all your data on the Blackberry on a periodic basis. This way, if you need to go back to a previous date you can just refer to the backup file.

Overall, the benefits of having a BB versus the Treo are absolutely worth making the switch. I used a Treo 700wx for about 2 weeks before switching back to a Blackberry. It is just a much smarter, more intuitive device than the Treo, unless you want to surf the web and play games. If you're email intesive and/or you make a lot of calls from your contacts/calendar/any application, the Treo is no match for the Blackberry.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:45 PM   #3
giff74
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250
Carrier: Sprint

I have to agree, the BB is just so much more stable than the Treo. I used a 650 for several years and when I started getting up around 2000 contacts and LOTS of appointments, I had tons of issues. I had to do restarts all the time just to keep the thing running. I am a little over 2000 contacts with my old school BB 7250 and have virtually no problems.

I use my BB for lots of email, many many phone calls every day, and keeping up with my calender when I am away from ACT! on my computer, I check the internet a few times a day and play a little Brick Breaker, all these things work very very well on the BB. If you dont mind not having TV, playing lots of games and having silly ring tones (I guess you can get more than what I have) you just cant do any better for a communications device.

Giff
Old 04-21-2007, 11:06 PM   #4
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendition View Post
How scaleable is the Blackberry OS? Has anyone had any issue with thousands of contacts? Thanks.
One of my users has 25,000+ calendar entries and 3,000+ contacts on his BlackBerry 7130e. I thought something was wrong because his Enterprise Activation took over 4 hours. It all made sense when I took a peek at his Lotus Notes account and sure enough he have the most heavily used calendar I have seen to date. He happened to be a corporate lawyer.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-22-2007, 05:55 AM   #5
donthateme13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: curve
Carrier: tmo

Point is if you're worried about a blackberry crashing because of too many contacts or too many appointments then you worrying for nothing.

Ive beenw ith blackberry for a lil over 3 years now through 5 handsets and have yet to delete any contacts or calander entries and keep in mind on m calender i have EVERY single day ive had to work over the last three years and numerous tasks, reminders, and party schedules ;)

I should probably clear some of my data up because i just dont need it but the beautiful thing is i always have my back up so if i need a contact or calender entry from three years ago i can just restore it to my current model and have it show up.
Closed Thread