BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 08:01 AM   #1
deezy23

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular - AT&T
Lightbulb IM applications on EDGE...to block or not to block?

Please Login to Remove!

After reading over the forums I'm more confused and just wanted to try a new thread. From what I understand, only 3G connections can handle voice&data at the same time...so what I'm wanting to do: Have my gtalk/aim/etc open 24/7 on my phone and be able to receive calls. I'm now puzzled b/c when I was online browsing around the other day, I had an incoming call and it prompted me...when I accepted the call my Browser connection was "put on hold" or just turned off. As soon as the call ended I could click and reconnect. Basically I'm wondering if I'm correct by thinking IM apps, and web browsing handle the connections different? I just don't want to miss out on calls, being a support person for my dept.

Thanks,

-D
Old 04-06-2007, 09:26 AM   #2
tprime
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Tmobile

I don't think you will miss calls or messages while web browsing. If your talking on the phone typically you'll receive data messages once you hang up. Really you only have internet data transfer only while a page is being loaded. Once the page is fully loaded your phone is open to receive IMs and phone calls. In fact it seems typically the phone call will take precedent over other connections. However I have experienced an occasional call go to voicemail will websurfing. But rarely.
On the other hand while on the phone the other data will 'wait on cue' until your call is done kinda like when your phone is off or out of range.

That's just my experience. But I don't think you'll have a problem.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
deezy23

Carrier: Cingular - AT&T

So for IM applications, if it's just sitting there and messages aren't being sent/recieved technically I should receive calls?
Old 04-06-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
elcivic
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: tmobile

I am on Tmo and have an 8100, My calls will always come in, no matter what I am doing on phone. Browse, chat, email, ect.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
Mandizzle
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9800
PIN: 2322E11D
Carrier: Rogers

I do a lot of texting and IM at the same time. Have no problems switching back and forth between the apps. sending/receiving messages. As stated above i'm quite sure calls take precedent. Have yet to miss a call due to browsing, IM, or texting.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:43 AM   #6
Willie115

Carrier: mEowmIx

I've made a thread about this and a poll and most of the times peole do get their calls and rarely miss it, even though this has been talked about many many times. What I think is that when you are using the browser that the calls will come through because there is a refresh rate on data, you notice that there are arrows showing the data connection and that it is not always on, maybe it is purposely done like that just for opportunities of calls to come in. I believe that once your call comes in the data connection is put on hold til you hang up. I use Jivetalk as an instant messenger and I believe that there is a refresh rate amount of time where it would update your buddylist and stuff just in case that you do have a call coming in, that leaving the Jivetalk on wouldn't keep you from having incoming calls.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
sickchilly
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: 20CFA98A
Carrier: AT&T

Edge devices are much better about delegating voice vs. data than older GPRS only devices.

My old SMT5600 (a WM-SP) device, would always dump people to voicemail when I was surfing and such. It had GPRS only for data.

My Treo 650 and now BB Pearl are very good at letting voice calls through. On my Pearl, I have IM+ and ShapeServices new Skype Beta running in the background 24/7. I have not had one person dumped to voicemail that I know about. Calls always come through. At least no one has left me a VM yet to say "WTF dude?"

Now 3G is the one thing I miss from my HTC TyTN. I wish there was a 3G BB device. On my TyTN, I could be on the phone with a client and looking up directions on the internet to his/her place at the same time. And of course, using a 3G device as a modem is awesome. I never paid for broadband in hotels because I could get 1.2 Mbit/sec on my TyTN!

Of course the major downside to 3G is that it sucks batteries dry in no time. The battery on my TyTN was lucky to last a full day with average use. And part of that was MS's sorry excuse for "push" email.

I can't wait for a BB in a Pearl size/form with 3G, but only if the 3G bandwidth can be reserved for web browsing and tethering. Nothing else really needs it on a mobile device. Edge is sufficient for everything else.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #8
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-mobile

When you use the Internet or the IM on your phone, you will not receive any phone calls while it is transferring data. But if there's a break in transferring data, you will receive a phone call.

You shouldn't have to much problems if you use the Internet and the IM. But if you really can not miss a phone call than I recommend not using the Internet and the IM.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #9
Willie115

Carrier: mEowmIx

If you look at the data transfer arrows though there are always a break in the data giving it a chance for the calls to come through.
Closed Thread