BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
blahop

Model: 7130c
Carrier: att
Default Why have a BB without a Data Plan?

Please Login to Remove!

I see all these tool bags these days out and about with BB 8100's. ½ the people I run into that have these things donxxx8217;t even have a data plan hooked up. Help me understand why you would want a BB if you donxxx8217;t use the functionality? To look cool?
Old 04-05-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
cenner
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
PIN: 23E57F7C
Carrier: T-Mobile

The Blackberry does look very cool. I have a buddy who has one and doesn't have a data plan and yes, he has it just for the looks. i also remind him that $19.99/month is well worth the capabilities that you have in the palm of your hand. Specifically Google Maps. =)

I also have another friend who bought the blackjack and refuse to pay extra for the data plan. Needless to say, another r3t@rd. =)

:: Black BlackBerry Pearl on T-Mobile w/ 1GB MicroSD ::
:: BSE Skin - Version 4.2.1.66 BIS ::

Last edited by cenner; 04-05-2007 at 04:44 PM..
Old 04-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
blahop

Model: 7130c
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenner
The Blackberry does look very cool. I have a buddy who has one and doesn't have a data plan and yes, he has it just for the looks. i also remind him that $19.99/month is well worth the capabilities that you have in the palm of your hand. Specifically Google Maps. =)

I also have another friend who bought the blackjack and refuse to pay extra for the data plan. Needless to say, another retard. =)

Im A Hater when it comes to these PEEPS!
Old 04-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

***moving to Rants and Raves***

Guys...your opinions are valid, but clean up the language. If all you're going to do is call people names, this thread goes away quickly.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:03 AM   #5
blakeatl
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-mobile

I would think that without finding a site like this that opens their eyes to the wonders of the blackberry.....they would think what's the big deal. Fortunately for me, I'm a google hound who finds the best info online and this is where I found Blackberry Forums.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:07 PM   #6
onth

Model: 9700
PIN: G PONG
Carrier: AT&T

It is their money, their right, why would we care too much? A lot of people who doesnt speed and race are driving M5 and Porsche, it is because they like it and they can afford it.

A lot of people does buy something just base on its look, not its features. As long as they like the look of the 8100 and they can afford it, and it is a phone that has all the features as their old phones have, why not?
Old 04-06-2007, 12:58 PM   #7
stonent

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF

Because they like the contact management system? I've had a BB for a few years now and when I changed jobs I had to give it back. So I got a used 7230 and put a T-Mobile SIM in it and pulled in all my contacts from my 7290.

It just made things easier I guess.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:47 AM   #8
brooklynyte
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by onth View Post
It is their money, their right, why would we care too much? A lot of people who doesnt speed and race are driving M5 and Porsche, it is because they like it and they can afford it.

A lot of people does buy something just base on its look, not its features. As long as they like the look of the 8100 and they can afford it, and it is a phone that has all the features as their old phones have, why not?
Good point.

I'm going to make a thread soon titled "Why do people care what I do with MY phone?"

Personally I have a data plan, but when I had asked about dropping it I got flamed for being some idiot who got a gimped blackberry. IT'S A PHONE!!! Thats why people buy it!! If I couldn't afford the 19.99 a month then I would still keep my phone, I love all the features even if you were to take away my data plan. It is MY phone, MY money, MY choice and I refuse to be bullied or made to feel stupid if I decide to NOT have a data plan. Lemme get this straight, no data plan = Retard?? All because I choose to not go with the majority?? Who are you people to tel me what I should or should not do with my property?? Understood, without a data plan you miss out on some of the phone's best features, but if someone likes the BB and has one without the data plan, it doesnt necessarily make them a wannabe or a show off.

FWIW, I dont usually post things like this but when I made a thread in the 8100 forum asking what I would lose by dropping my data plan I got flamed again and again for what? Like one person told me, it's because people dont think of their BB's as a phone and if you take away the data package thats exactly what it is... A PHONE!!!!! Some people dont like hearing that theyre brand new shiny BB is just a phone with a few spiced up features. For the record, I have an 8100 which I'm extremely happy with and I enjoy all the benefits of having a data plan, but if someone chooses not to get the data plan why hassle them?? It's their choice!!!!
/rant

~~~~~Blackberry Pearl ~ 2gb MicroSD Card~~~~~
Old 04-19-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
Edhoru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: TELCEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynyte View Post
Understood, without a data plan you miss out on some of the phone's best features, but if someone likes the BB and has one without the data plan, it doesnt necessarily make them a wannabe or a show off.
I agree, i get my BB because i wanted a smart phone, wich was a good phone, that can manage my tasks and calendar, and can sync with my pc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahop View Post
Help me understand why you would want a BB if you don’t use the functionality? To look cool?
Three reasons:
  • It is a good phone.
  • It handles basic PDA functions
  • Is cheap for what it does, i get mine for less than 30 dollars.

Although, having internet 24/7 sounds cool, it's not extremely necessary for a lot of people, and the data plan cost could be a big turn off for them.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:55 PM   #10
llvinbr

Model: 7100T
Default Why I don't have data package with the blackjack

I do not have the data package because it cost $40.00 per month plus tax in my market. I do not need it. I need a PDA/phone that syncs to my computer. I do not not need internet access at every minute of the day. Text messaging is for people who do not spend time working. Why should I pay for something I do not need? You have to have the data package is just a marketing gimmick. Wise up kiddos. Get to work.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:56 PM   #11
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

My GF has an 8700g without a data plan.... She can care less about getting her email ect.... She uses it for Calendar, SMS and phone.... It works for her... I'd never have one without, but to each their own....
Old 04-25-2007, 09:14 PM   #12
archer6

Model: 8310

And to think that after many months, I just learned that my BlackBerry has a battery...... or is that a sim card.... or was it a memory card...... oh heck, these things are just too complicated....back to my land line.....oh no? I had it disconnected...... anybody?

What to do? ...
Old 04-26-2007, 04:06 PM   #13
alphasports

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers (CAN) / A1 (AUT) / Swisscom (SUI) / T-Mobile (USA)

Agreed, with many of you. I have had 5 BBs, most of the time w/o data. Up here in Canada we get so screwed by Rogers plans that I simply refuse to play. I need a smartphone that syncs with Outlook, plus has text message capability, that's it. The BB does this fine. I already check email too many times a day via PC, I sure as hell don't need it walking to the metro, and face it, the "web experience" on a smartphone is a lesson in exasperation.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:45 PM   #14
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Agreed! Many want qwerty convenience for txt or calendar and can care less about a data plan....

I can really care less about getting my email, I have the data plan for BBWeather, PDSports, SyncJe, and Beyond411....

If it were not for these apps I'd be data plan less as well.....
Old 04-27-2007, 07:46 AM   #15
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynyte View Post
but if someone chooses not to get the data plan why hassle them?? It's their choice!!!!
/rant
Hey brooklynyte, agreed. I don't care, either, if someone has a BB without a Data Plan, no biggie, their choice.

However, on these boards, the exasperation you often see is when someone who has purchased a BB (or got it from their dad or friend) and learns they need a Data Plan, but refuses to get one or can't afford it BUT STILL demands they have internet browser and "why can't I download ringtones", etc. Once explained to the user, they still demand WHY WHY WHY?

I know that wasn't your experience, brokklynyte, but it is often the case with others.

That is frustrating.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:18 PM   #16
constantine

Wow..I was just about posting up a question asking...

"Without having the BlackBerry data plan, is it still possible to go online on your BlackBerry if you have the regular internet plan added to your plan?"

Before I decided to browse the forums to see if the question has been asked. And I came across this. Lol after reading the first couple of posts in this thread, it felt like my head would get chopped off for having a BB and not having the Data plan lol. But anyways, is it possible?

If this question has been asked before, I apologize. You can delete it and send me to the thread the question was answered.

Thanx

Last edited by constantine; 05-01-2007 at 11:34 PM..
Old 05-01-2007, 11:33 PM   #17
constantine

I tried deleting my previous post..the one above, but I don't see a Delete button.

I found the answer to my question. Sorry about that. Hopefully one of the MODS will delete it ..I appologize.

Thanx
Closed Thread