BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:21 PM   #1
RickBullotta

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile
Thumbs up Encrypted JPGs on SD Card - AAAARGH! (SOLVED!)

Please Login to Remove!

I have a 1GB card in, and have taken a number of pics. My company's IT policy requires that the SD card encryption be on, and I can't change it (believe me, I've tried). That being what it is, it seems RIDICULOUS that I can't transfer these pictures using any mechanism at all...there MUST be a way...otherwise, this thing is completely useless as a camera for people who have to have this encryption on. What good is it if you can't copy the photos off the phone? Particularly since you have to authorize USB connections to the phone with your password - it shouldn't be a security issue...

Any help or workarounds HUGELY appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by RickBullotta; 03-28-2007 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Solved problem
Old 03-28-2007, 03:21 PM   #2
tightshirts

Carrier: tmobile

you could try sending the photo as a multimedia message and just put in your email address instead of a phone number... i used to do that all the time when i first got a Motorola razr (years ago)
Old 03-28-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Rick, there may be a reason your company doesn't want you over-riding the IT policies on the phone, and doing so might get you in some hot water with the dudes up the food chain. Such is the reason some corps don't even allow camera phones on their $$.

Sorry I don't know a workaround, other than as stated by tightshirts above.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
RickBullotta

Unfortunately, this won't work unless you shrink the image size to the point of uselessness (depends on your mobile provider, but the limit is pretty small).
Old 03-28-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
RickBullotta

So essentially, there's no way to extract an encrypted picture saved on your SD card? That seems insane.

How about photo images saved in the phone's memory? They don't seem to show up as a folder when connected via the hotsync USB cable. It would seem sheer lunacy to have to send them via bluetooth.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:03 PM   #6
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBullotta
So essentially, there's no way to extract an encrypted picture saved on your SD card? That seems insane.
I use a very simple PHP upload script to send files off my phone to my server when I'm on the road; you can find a million of them on Sourceforge.net:

http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_...p+file+manager

I whipped up my own because I wanted stripped down fast basic operation (just does a basic upload/download/delete) and I use Apache .htaccess to protect it. Comes in handy in situations like yours...
Old 03-28-2007, 04:09 PM   #7
RickBullotta

Hi, Rivviepop.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work with the encrypted files on the SD card (they have a .rem extension, and are encrypted).
Old 03-28-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:

How about photo images saved in the phone's memory? They don't seem to show up as a folder when connected via the hotsync USB cable. It would seem sheer lunacy to have to send them via bluetooth.
I think you're missing the big point here.
Your company has implemented an IT policy for a reason. You are openly trying to circumvent it. Bad idea.
If this is your personal device, and you want full functionality... then I would suggest that you have the device removed from your company BES after a blank IT policy is sent to it.

If this is a company issued device, then suck it up and start playing by the rules.
You're not likely to get much help in trying to work around your company's BES policies.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:12 PM   #9
RickBullotta

SOLVED!

I found a somewhat roundabout way, but at least I found a way...here goes:

1) Open up the BB Desktop Manager
2) Double click on Media Manager
3) Clean out all of the images in My BlackBerry/Device Memory/Pictures (you'll need this as "scratch" space)
4) Browse to and select the encrypted images you want to transfer from the media card image directory, My BlackBerry/Media Card/blackberry/pictures
5) Right click, and select "Copy".
6) Browser back to My BlackBerry/Device Memory/Pictures
7) Right click, and select "Paste". This step "decrypts" the files and removes the .rem extension
8) Now, use the Media Manager to transfer the converted files to your desktop.

The only limitation is that you can only transfer images "n" at a time, with "n" being limited by your available device memory.

But other than that, a solution has been found!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 04:19 PM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

And you are still circumventing your company IT policy... but, hey, it's your job.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:32 PM   #11
RickBullotta

Not at all. That's no hack at all. That's using off-the-shelf BB Media Manager capabilities. If I were simply to store the pictures in device memory in the first place (a one-click change in the camera configuration), there'd never be any encryption at all, and I could use Media Manager 'as is'. So in no way, shape, or form, am I "circumventing" any policies.

Also, I checked again, and was able to send the pictures via MMS as long as the destination was an e-mail address - they were decrypted prior to sending.

My whole point is that the encryption was designed to prevent someone who obtained the SD card (or the phone) from viewing the contents. But why shouldn't an "authorized" connection (e.g. sharing the SD card via a USB cable, which requires a password in my case) be able to access the files "unencrypted"? That's the core issue.

In any case, plenty of perfectly legitimate, non-hack ways to transfer the images without messing with BES or IT Policy settings.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:09 PM   #12
tightshirts

Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Also, I checked again, and was able to send the pictures via MMS as long as the destination was an e-mail address - they were decrypted prior to sending.
i figured that would work, altho i forgot about the size limitation, but hey it's not like your going to be shooting a magazine cover with your phone... glad you worked it out
Old 08-15-2007, 09:19 AM   #13
ziggy3055

Model: 9000
PIN: ALT-E-A-C-E
Carrier: Off Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
And you are still circumventing your company IT policy... but, hey, it's your job.
or ya know people like me that dont have to circumvent their companies IT policy and just want to know how to decript their pictures when they are moving their memory card to another phone...

this is old but this is good information to know because i've been looking for this problem for a while now
Old 08-31-2007, 09:53 AM   #14
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

I read somewhere that sending them over Bluetooth causes them to to be decrypted on the fly too.
Closed Thread