BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 11:40 AM   #1
lirong
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: cingular
Default Are Blackberrires really the best email device?

Please Login to Remove!

I was recently using a Treo 650 with Good on our corporate server. I was very happy with the device when it works, but I had to deal with a lot of freeze ups of the device and ultimately decided to heed people's advice and try BlackBerry - which has the reputation of being very stable and optimized for email.

So far I am quite disappointed. I receive emails from a BES server inside our company. I always thought the point of blackberry is that it pushes the emails out as they hit the server. With Treo/Good, I would always get my emails within seconds of them hitting our server. With the blackberry (I am trying both the pearl and the 8800, it often takes much longer. Sometimes its 4-5 minutes, sometimes its 10-15! And sometimes its less than 4 minutes, but I would think that anything more than even 1 minute is already a delay.

My Sys Admin says he checked the web and BBerry said the reconcile should happen every 3-5 mins for my Java device...my most recent email took 9. But even 3-5 mins is a very long lag - the Trep/Good was in seconds!

Am I missing something here? Is something maybe configured wrong? Or is blackberry, for all its stability, really more of a batch email dlelivery rather than the more real-time delivery it is reputed for, and which Treo/Good delivers on?

Id love any advice on this topic...

Last edited by lirong; 03-02-2007 at 11:42 AM..
Old 03-02-2007, 11:44 AM   #2
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

BES should be instant! BIS has a 15 minute delay....
Old 03-02-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
justdonating
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 24289029
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirong
I was recently using a Treo 650 with Good on our corporate server. I was very happy with the device when it works, but I had to deal with a lot of freeze ups of the device and ultimately decided to heed people's advice and try BlackBerry - which has the reputation of being very stable and optimized for email.

So far I am quite disappointed. I receive emails from a BES server inside our company. I always thought the point of blackberry is that it pushes the emails out as they hit the server. With Treo/Good, I would always get my emails within seconds of them hitting our server. With the blackberry (I am trying both the pearl and the 8800, it often takes much longer. Sometimes its 4-5 minutes, sometimes its 10-15! And sometimes its less than 4 minutes, but I would think that anything more than even 1 minute is already a delay.

My Sys Admin says he checked the web and BBerry said the reconcile should happen every 3-5 mins for my Java device...my most recent email took 9. But even 3-5 mins is a very long lag - the Trep/Good was in seconds!

Am I missing something here? Is something maybe configured wrong? Or is blackberry, for all its stability, really more of a batch email dlelivery rather than the more real-time delivery it is reputed for, and which Treo/Good delivers on?

I don't think your admin is correct. BES should be instant. BIS takes up to 15 minutes.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
Paulicus

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default no problems here

I am not privy to BES but I get redirection within at least 5-10 seconds.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:52 AM   #5
sarbin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: TMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

... BIS has a 15 minute delay....
Really? I'm on TMo BIS and I get no delay with my "blackberry.net" address. Two gmail addresses I've added to BIS also seem to be <10 seconds.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:58 AM   #6
berryboy123

Model: 8100c

Man, me too switched to Pearl from Treo 650 - really miss the touch screen, but now started liking my Pearl more - even without the touch screen
Old 03-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbin
Really? I'm on TMo BIS and I get no delay with my "blackberry.net" address. Two gmail addresses I've added to BIS also seem to be <10 seconds.
The blackberry.net address, gmail and yahoo mail are instant. Anything else pop3/imap on BIS are ever 15 mins, although I find that if I send something out through pop3 and someone replies within a couple mins, I usually get it in less than 15.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:04 PM   #8
Spydertech

The BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) should be nearly instant. It is not uncommon for me to receive emails on my Blackberry BEFORE they arrive in my Outlook.

I can see some reasons a BES wouldn't be instant - like an overloaded server or incorrectly set up remote SQL database.

But, unless your BES is hosted off site, or just EXTREMELY taxed, it should be close to instant. It is in my case. I have an Exchange server handling 1000 mailboxes, and BES handling 110 devices (using MSDE for the database). Our emails are pretty much instant to the Blackberry.

Of course, we do have trouble from time to time with delivery through certain wireless carriers.

Spydertech
Old 03-02-2007, 12:15 PM   #9
berryboy123

Model: 8100c

Me either see only <10 secs on the BIS
Old 03-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #10
emsmx5

PIN: 23EF1062
Carrier: T-Mo

Somethings fishy with your BES. I'm on BIS and I get my emails the second they are available (both Gmail and my work RoadRunner account).
Old 03-02-2007, 12:56 PM   #11
septahedra

I'm on BIS and it's nearly instantaneous. I set my Outlook to check for mail every minute, and I don't remember the last time Outlook outpaces the BB. Oh, I use Gmail and Yahoo.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #12
tobiasj

Talking

We had a problem on our SMTP gateway where the spam and virus filter was queuing the blackberry status messages and causing up to 20 minute delays on the email getting to the blackberry. The server was sending them right away but they would sit in this spam queue for a LONG time. We finally had to back rev to the previous version of the SMTP gateway to get BB messaging working properly again. Now I am back to getting the email on my
BB before it hits the outlook mailbox...

-John
Old 03-02-2007, 02:06 PM   #13
Tixxx

Model: 8900
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryboy123
Man, me too switched to Pearl from Treo 650 - really miss the touch screen, but now started liking my Pearl more - even without the touch screen

I did the same thing and feel the same way.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #14
*&))
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

i have never had so many problems getting my email, as i have with my 700w. rather im using active sync or exchange sync it seems to drop the ball some how. i find my self having to reconfigure on the regular, it has gotten to the point where i switched back to blackberry and paid to have BES implemented just for me in my business. Some people like all the things that windows mobile and other phones have to offer so i have not been able to make every one switch but i am working b/c for any IT person that has to work on wireless knows that palm and windows mobile have their issues.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:19 PM   #15
ashabbas

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tixxx
I did the same thing and feel the same way.
Yeah I feel the touch screen just gets in the way and is clumsy. Also there are many things you can do one handed with the blackberry that you can't with touchscreens.... I'll leave that to your imagination.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #16
ivada
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirong

You bet it's the best email device out there, bar none! And believe me I've tried a bunch of them - Palm, WM, Symbian, even the SK3 (blush!) - on a combination of devices, but as far as "pure emailing", I have yet to come across a better combination than a 7250 on Verizon with BES! I switch between a Pearl and 7250 now, but I just absolutely love the 7250's keyboard and that it's built like a tank!
Old 03-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #17
PCgirl

Model: iP 4S
Thumbs up

I love BB Pearl email (TMo). I get my yahoo email on my Pearl before it shows up on my laptop!!!
Old 03-05-2007, 08:23 AM   #18
tobiasj

Quote:
Originally Posted by *&))
i have never had so many problems getting my email, as i have with my 700w. rather im using active sync or exchange sync it seems to drop the ball some how. i find my self having to reconfigure on the regular, it has gotten to the point where i switched back to blackberry and paid to have BES implemented just for me in my business. Some people like all the things that windows mobile and other phones have to offer so i have not been able to make every one switch but i am working b/c for any IT person that has to work on wireless knows that palm and windows mobile have their issues.
I would have to disagree, I have also used WM devices, palms and BB's. My first true smartphone was a Palm Treo 600 (we wont mention all the semi-smart phones that came before), which was ok, but nothing special and the hardware was fragile. Then I got a 7100T from Tmo, I liked it a lot the push email was great and the phone seemed bullet proof.

I missed the media capabilities of the palm and since Tmo never picked up the Treo 650 or 700 I ended up in a MDA.

This is where things got interesting. Micro$ofts push email took a lot of tinkering to get working (though after a couple patches and service packs it got a lot easier) and it was great, I could listen to my voice mail messages right out of the email, open all the file attachments sent to me (Office, PDF, photos etc...) and streaming Video and radio worked great! Eventually however the cell bill started to get oppressive (family plan, 5 lines tmo-total internet) the bill was about 170ish every month (not a lot in the grand scheme of things I know, but its a lot to me..) so I ended up canceling the total internet package altogether. Which made the MDA quite large for what it now gave me.
somewhat later I decided to move back to the BB which I had find memories of the powerful email and fast internet. not to mention being cheaper by half over the total internet plan so into a Pearl I went.

Now, I cant open attachments, cant listen to my voice mail without calling into it, streaming video is a non-starter and streaming radio is spotty at best. (not to mention the 2 stations I listened to the most are on WMA streams and I cant listen to them at all...) The internet is still very fast, and the email is great (I always hated having to remember to check subfolders on the MDA because there was no notification for any but the main inbox) but I do miss these other features.

All in all I am happy with the Pearl (PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT HTML EMAILS) and with the cost, but I wouldnt knock WM, it has a LOT going for it.

-John
Old 03-05-2007, 11:59 AM   #19
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

***moving to General Blackberry Forum***
Old 03-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #20
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

We need to get a life. If we can't wait a few minutes to receive email, then something is very wrong!

What did you do before there was email on a handheld? Were you tied to your PC?

How about when there was no email? Were you tied to the fax machine?
Closed Thread