Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 12:17 AM   #1
BB Junkie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Default No insurance for BB 8800 by Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

I just purchased a new Blackberry 8800 from Cingular and was told that they dont offer insurnace on blackberrys If it is physcially damaged. Only manufacturer's one year warranty if blackberry is defective.

Is it possible to get it insured at all?
Old 02-22-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
mdonders
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700g
PIN: 23DD311D
Carrier: T-Mobile

Cingular doesn't offer insurance on smartphones.

I think RIM insures is under warranty, but wait for someone who knows it better than I do.

Click here for Free Money! - Yea its free.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I have read on here some say they have their BB coverer on their homeowners insurance. If you take that route, you might want to check with your agent and make sure, it could need a rider on the policy. I won't do that with mine because its not going to meet the deductible. But at the same time... someone might want to.

OR, put $10 in an envelope every week, and before the end of a year (30 weeks) you will have it self-insured!
Old 02-22-2007, 10:27 AM   #4
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

Just be careful with it!!! That said I treat my BlackBerry's like ash trays - to me it's a tool and if I'm lucky it might last me 6 months before I need a new one!!!

Old 02-22-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
Spencer_CDS
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
PIN: 23F25F08
Carrier: AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Junkie
I just purchased a new Blackberry 8800 from Cingular and was told that they dont offer insurnace on blackberrys If it is physcially damaged. Only manufacturer's one year warranty if blackberry is defective.

Unfortunately, Cingular does not offer insurance on PDA devices ... if you want a list of insurable devices, head to Wireless Phone Insurance | Cingular Wireless (link) and click the link that says "View a current list of eligible and ineligible devices" for up-to-date information.

4.2.1.108 / 2.3.0.85

Last edited by Spencer_CDS; 02-22-2007 at 02:19 PM..
Old 02-22-2007, 10:43 AM   #6
bubbaman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Junkie

Call your insurance agent and have it added on to your policy. I think I pay about $12 a year and have zero deductible. I have had 2 phones lost or stolen. Both times I called my agent told them what happened and I had a check in about 3 days for the full amount. To add it on your policy most companies charge per $100, just make sure you insure it for the full retail price and not the contract price. This way is alot cheaper and less hassle then going through the carrier's insurance. You don't have to make 3 phone calls, get interviewed, and then end up with a refurb and pay a high deductible.

The last time I had carrier insurance it was for a razr that I had for 7 months. I paid $5.95 a month for seven months($41.65) and then had to pay a deductible($100), so I paid $141.65+tax for a razr. Also, I had to go to the store, wait in line for 30 minutes so they could tell me I had to have a police report. Then after filling that out, I had to go back to the store and wait again in line. I then had to call the carrier insurance, wait in line again and then they gave a *^&%&^*(% refurb that was a piece of crap.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:46 AM   #7
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

This is why i wont switch to cingular. As bad as nextel was with there network i never had a trouble with replacement for broken or damaged phones. Tmobile the same thing they are good about the replacement thing

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 02-22-2007, 04:17 PM   #8
Spiffyis5150
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular

I just switched from Sprint to Cingular although I was surprised, the insurance wasn't a factor for me. Sprint used Lockline,err Asurion or whatever their name is now and they SUCKED. I didn't have a Blackberry on Sprint, but I know that depending upon the phone you had, you might not get the same one through the insurance program because they only had to provide you equivalent services that the phone had. Plus, they sent you refurbs most of the time. For some of us, phones are a personal decision, so getting anything else but what you had is unacceptable. Thanks, but no thanks. Like others here, I'll just use my homeowner's insurance this time around.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #9
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK

I cant remember the website but there is a company that offers insurance for Smartphones, Very cheap and no deductible it is an actual insurance policy for the device I will try to find the company name and website and post it
Old 02-22-2007, 05:18 PM   #10
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Might want to check on the 'water indicator' policy for any insurance coverage, as well. These devices seem to be QUITE sensitive in this regard.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #11
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK

Mobile Protech | Cell phone and PDA protection |Protecting today's mobile technology isnt the company I was thinking about but they do offer coverage
Old 02-22-2007, 09:41 PM   #12
AlwaysOn607
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

Has anyone here had a claim with Mobile Protech? How are they in paying claims?

Many homeowners policies do not offer a "rider" option, leaving you with the deductible which is probably as high or higher than the value of the phone. Further, submitting claims can affect your ability to be renewed. It is an option, but weigh the advantages and disadvantages carefully. My advice is do you homework first so you know what to ask and then discuss with your agent.

An Agent
Closed Thread