BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
electronsi00

Model: 8100
Default Should I get a Blackberry Pearl? A couple of Questions...

Please Login to Remove!

Hi. I am about to get a cingular plan and am considering the BlackBerry Pearl. Seem's like a great phone, but here's the kicker.

I will not be getting any type of Data plan with the Blackberry. It will just be the phone with an ordinary cell phone plan. Without the Data Plan, what is the blackberry pearl capable of?

Will I be able to download programs such as google maps, and view documents and such? Please let me know about the world of blackberry's without a data plan. thanks in advance!
Old 02-17-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
habanero69
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Personally I think its a waste. Others might not agree. I think its stengths are its email, etc, and the phone is a distant second. I think you will be somewhat dissappointed with that approach...

Last edited by habanero69; 02-17-2007 at 10:05 PM..
Old 02-17-2007, 10:05 PM   #3
GotPearl?
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 23e8df7f
Carrier: Cingular

I agree with you habanero69 100%.

GP
Old 02-17-2007, 10:12 PM   #4
electronsi00

I appreciate the response. So does that mean I can't download various applications onto the blackberry VIa a USB, such as google maps?

Im mainly excited that google maps may work on the blackberry (even without data) so I can input two addresses and get directions. Is that true?
Old 02-17-2007, 10:25 PM   #5
JewDough

PIN: 2068D4B3
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

The maps portion of the BB does not require a data plan per say. Although here in canada Data is $0.05 per KB for maps and browsing. The phone works nicely and would be a decent organizer as well. I use mine without data for the moment because rogers charges $25 for 0.5MB of Blackberry Data.. Screw that!
Old 02-18-2007, 03:35 AM   #6
Steve
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted (Cingular 8100 Pearl: BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Google Maps is not a full install. The maps, directions, searches, satallite views, etc., are all downloaded on demand. It won't work without a BlackBerry Plan.

It'll just be a phone.

Steve
Old 02-18-2007, 03:37 AM   #7
JewDough

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Actually it does work without a plan, as I don't have a Data plan and mine works.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:45 AM   #8
java_junkie

Carrier: tmobile

there are other phones that offer GPS with a basic plan. You will be wasting your money on a pearl.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:51 PM   #9
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550

google maps is awkward on the pearl - way too small a screen for mapping IMHO.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:55 PM   #10
hotburnttoast
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: Unique 8-character hexadecimal ID number assigned to all BlackBerrys
Carrier: T-Mobile

go with TMO, the personal unmlimited Blackberry Plan is only 19.99 a month. I persoanlly think its a waste to buy a Pearl and not use the features its made for, but thats just me. Once you use it and have the data plan you will love it.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:20 AM   #11
doxxie

Carrier: TMobile

On the TMobile plan, are you able to receive email from an Exchange Server for the same price or do you have to pay extra?
Old 02-19-2007, 05:57 AM   #12
churchill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: 2423A5E5
Carrier: tmobile

If you just want a basic phone with some java capability to run some apps like google maps etc, then just get a cheapo basic razr with the 5.99 tzones plan from tmo and you will be able to do what you need. I've had a bb pearl for a couple of months and its the BIS service that makes the phone really useful for me. I have come to depend on all its features, but I have to pay for it. No point in buying a rolls royce if you are just going to drive it around the block.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:28 AM   #13
kankanman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: tmo

even without the data plan, i still think its a great choice for a new phone. there are lotta features other phones dont have. you can download programs to your phone via the usb.

for the mapping function, i have never used google maps because blackberry maps ( the default app.) suffices. you can input two addresses and what not and do whatever you wanted it to do. i hear the interface is better than google maps but i wouldnt know.

if u want to get online/check email without a plan then its possible to use opera mini, though not guaranteed. it takes me no more than 5 seconds to get to my emails. not sure how much cingular charges for bandwidth usage.

if you're someone whos runs a business or in corporate or basically depends on checking/sending emails, then you should get the data plan. if you're not dependent on the blackberry's main feature then dont get the plan. there are plenty of other things u can do with it

Last edited by kankanman; 02-19-2007 at 06:41 AM..
Old 02-19-2007, 07:06 AM   #14
electronsi00

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchill
If you just want a basic phone with some java capability to run some apps like google maps etc, then just get a cheapo basic razr with the 5.99 tzones plan from tmo and you will be able to do what you need. I've had a bb pearl for a couple of months and its the BIS service that makes the phone really useful for me. I have come to depend on all its features, but I have to pay for it. No point in buying a rolls royce if you are just going to drive it around the block.
isnt that what most roll royce owners do?
Old 02-19-2007, 04:18 PM   #15
SanFrancisco

PIN: HEAD

I don't normally reply to "should I get a Pearl" threads because it's not up to me to convince anyone to buy a phone. Basically, I could care less if someone else on the planet buys this phone.

But yours is an interesting query.

IMHO I think people forget that WITHOUT a data plan the Pearl remains an awesome multimedia device. While "turning on" the e-mail and data services is beneficial to many, the "naked Pearl" still makes a great phone, plays MP3, and runs feature length movies if one wants, all for a very low price or even free [depending on how you purchase the Pearl].

As I have said before, I used to pay $500 for a cell phone whose only "feature" was that it was the smallest cell phone of the time. And that was in 1998 dollars, for example.

Now for $200 or less [upgrade price] one can get a phone that weighs about 3 ounces, has a speaker phone, a nice interface, plays media and looks cool. Well that's a good deal in my book.

Also, Members should not forget that many phones that compete with the Pearl do NOT have the BB service. Even without such service, the phones compete with each other. In fact, the Pearl was developed to compete with other non-BB phones. So getting a Pearl without data or e-mail services is a reasonable option.

I dunno about being able to use Google Maps, etc. without a data plan. I thought that Google uses "the net" to get updated maps. Maybe it does not require a data connection? I have a data plan so I don't know what works and does not work without a data plan.

Bonus Tip: I know Cingular is more expensive than my carrier, T-Mo, for data and e-mail services, but I assume Cing is like T-Mo where you can try out the data and e-mail services, consider if it is worth the extra cost, and if not, just cancel it. In other words, you are not bound for a contract term for such, like you are with a phone plan. So why not give it a try for a couple months. Make sure you can in fact cancel it after a few months.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 02-19-2007 at 05:21 PM..
Old 02-19-2007, 04:32 PM   #16
SanFrancisco

PIN: HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchill
No point in buying a Rolls Royce if you are just going to drive it around the block.
My neighbor has a $250,000 Bentley and the thing rarely leaves his parking space, albeit just yesterday I saw him driving with the top down and three other gray-haired bobble heads [aka passengers] going to a place where such people tootle in a Bentley. I would have to say it looked like they were just going around the block.

He also wears a Rolex, but I don't think he bought the watch just to tell the time.

Could not see if he had a Pearl or not. I'll keep an eye out.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:57 PM   #17
habanero69
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

I just think that the "phone" itself is nothing to write home about. The call quality is fair to marginal with its voice background cancelling or whatever it tries to do. EVERY BB has been like that for me in varying degrees of quality. The Moto phones seem to be better as just a pure phone. YMMV...
Closed Thread