BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
kankanman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmo
Default being charged for using programs?

Please Login to Remove!

got a blackberry pearl but dont have any data plans, yet. at the moment i use progs like opera mini, blackberry maps, etc. just wondering am i being charged for using these progs although i dont have a data plan?
Old 02-09-2007, 09:15 AM   #2
Reverend Beavis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: TMO

I didn't think it was even possible to use those programs without a data plan.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
Concept
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T Mobile

you can't use data on a blackberry if you don't have a blackberry data plan. If your using these programs already you probably have the BB data add on and don't know it.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:22 AM   #4
xyrcncp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept
you can't use data on a blackberry if you don't have a blackberry data plan. If your using these programs already you probably have the BB data add on and don't know it.
Correct. Opera Mini especially won't work if you have no data.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
kankanman
Thumbs Must Hurt

im on tmobile. im pretty sure i dont have the blackberry data plan.

i called customer service right when i got the phone to see why i didnt have a browser and they told me i needed BIS. i opted not to get the plan bc i wouldnt need it.... yet anyways.

i read some threads and a sticky where someone said they could use opera mini without being on a blackberry plan. so i downloaded it, changed apn or whatever and it worked. so i was just wondering if im being charged for internet usage
Old 02-09-2007, 10:55 AM   #6
DreamAngele
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile

The only people that would know for sure is T-Mobile. If you have billing questions I would call customer service and talk to them.

Blackberries don't work very well without the data plan. I'd just get the plan and then you don't have to worry about it.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
goaliemn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: t-mobile

You'd better hope you have a data plan.. or you'll be paying per KB you've been using and it won't be cheep :(
Old 02-09-2007, 02:59 PM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

You can look online or call TMO customer service, they'll tell you real quick if you have a BDP, or how much usage charges you're racking up.

I'm wondering--is this your account or a parents account?
Old 02-09-2007, 03:28 PM   #9
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kankanman
I'm on tmobile. I'm pretty sure i don't have the blackberry data plan.

i called customer service right when i got the phone to see why i didn't have a browser and they told me i needed BIS. i opted not to get the plan bc i wouldn't need it.... yet anyways.

i read some threads and a sticky where someone said they could use opera mini without being on a blackberry plan. so i downloaded it, changed apn or whatever and it worked. so i was just wondering if I'm being charged for Internet usage
Like others have said, you better call T-Mo and ask them exactly what you have.

Also have them look at your current usage to determine if you have incurred some "per use" charges. This is better than simply asking what plan you have.

And I would call on your cell phone so you have some evidence that you called. Companies are notorious in denying people have called if records of a call will hurt them. Also ask that they specifically enter on the computer that you called and what was discussed.

You might as well try out the $20 unlimited data plan. You are NOT bound by any term on such, you can try it out for a few months, if you don't like it you can cancel it without penalty.

Lastly, you can create an on line account with T-Mo. Once doing that you can log in and check your plan, make changes, and even look at current billing period activity such as calls made. Besides, most of the info that in online is the same as that which the CSR looks at when you call. So might as well do it yourself.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:58 PM   #10
kankanman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders
You can look online or call TMO customer service, they'll tell you real quick if you have a BDP, or how much usage charges you're racking up.

I'm wondering--is this your account or a parents account?
its my account.

forgot about my online account. just checked it. i dont have a blackberry data plan. didnt see any "per usage" charges. nor anything specifying internet related, bandwith costs. i guess i have to call to make sure. (i hate doing this bc im hold for long periods of time listening to stupid music)
Old 02-09-2007, 04:00 PM   #11
kankanman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliemn
You'd better hope you have a data plan.. or you'll be paying per KB you've been using and it won't be cheep :(

i rarely have used it or plan to use it.

jw out of curiosity, whats the rate per kb at tmo?
Old 02-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #12
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Tmo does not charge by the mb/kb in the US. They charge by the month ($20 unlimited). I'd say you're being allowed to use the data network in error by Tmobile. Keep a copy of your user agreement handy. They'll probably figure out their probable error and cut you off eventually. If your agreement truly says you aren't paying for data (only voice) and you're getting data and email maybe keep your mouth shut and just pay your bill!
Old 02-09-2007, 05:55 PM   #13
kankanman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Tmo does not charge by the mb/kb in the US. They charge by the month ($20 unlimited). I'd say you're being allowed to use the data network in error by Tmobile. Keep a copy of your user agreement handy. They'll probably figure out their probable error and cut you off eventually. If your agreement truly says you aren't paying for data (only voice) and you're getting data and email maybe keep your mouth shut and just pay your bill!
great advice
Closed Thread