BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 09:28 AM   #1
RyanDe680

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint
Default 8703e Cases/accessories

Please Login to Remove!

I recently just obtained my 8703e from Sprint, great device.

I am looking for some type of protective case to keep it in though. I more or less wouldn't mind something fit over the device and stayed on while I use it, or even a case to take it in and out of; I am really open to anything.

What suggestions do you guys have?

Also, what about screen protectors? Worth it?
Old 01-02-2007, 10:12 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

There has been a GREAT deal of discussion on this board about case/holster recommendations and screen protectors.

I personally like this case I got off Ebay:

eBay: Blackberry 8700 8700r 8700c 8700g 8700v Leather Case (item 320064748017 end time Jan-03-07 22:30:00 PST)

For a screen protector, I use Screen Patronus. Google search and you will find.

There are many other opinions, do a search on this board.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

I have the glove fit case by Fortte:

Leather PDA cases, PDA case - Stylish Elegant Functional leather PDA cases and handheld cases by Fortte.

I am very happy with it. Stinsonddog has a real good review of the cases for the 8700 models:

Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips - 8700 Cases
Old 01-02-2007, 06:41 PM   #4
RyanDe680

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders
There has been a GREAT deal of discussion on this board about case/holster recommendations and screen protectors.

That seems to be a great case... Thanks for the link.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucejr
I have the glove fit case by Fortte:

Leather PDA cases, PDA case - Stylish Elegant Functional leather PDA cases and handheld cases by Fortte.

I am very happy with it. Stinsonddog has a real good review of the cases for the 8700 models:

Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips - 8700 Cases

brucejr,

I just purchased the fortte case as well. I was wondering if you have an extended battery and have tried putting the device with the extended battery in the fortte case and zipped it up? I am thinking it should fit, but would like to see if anyone already has that kind of setup and could give me their 2 cents. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:34 PM   #6
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclamation

Quote:

eBay: Blackberry 8700 8700r 8700c 8700g 8700v Leather Case (item 320064748017 end time Jan-03-07 22:30:00 PST)

BE WARNED: That case may not be all it's cracked up to be!

I bought the exact same case design (but sized for the 7500/7200 series) for my Nextel 7520. The one I bought looked identical, except that the manufacturer's logo was embossed into the flap. The manufacturer was Bytech. The case I bought is sold at kiosks in malls, and has even been sold by Wal*Mart.

I loved the case at first. It was exactly what I wanted... until it fell apart 2-3 months later!

Turns out that the side panels, with the elastic, aren't actually stitched in, even though they look like they are. They're GLUED into place, and the glue used on Bytech's product is CRAP with a capital CRAP!

I just recently found out that Bytech was copying Gizmoskin's design almost exactly, but most likely with lower quality materials. Hopefully the auction is for the genuine Gizmoskin product, and hopefully it holds up better than Bytech's knock-off.

I hope you have better luck than I did. But as for me, I'll be sticking with genuine RIM cases from now on. I've been using RIM's OEM leather pouch with the 7520 for a year or more and it's been the best case I've had for my ! Now that I've got an 8700g, I'll buy RIM's OEM leather belt pouch with confidence.

Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(

Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 01-02-2007 at 07:51 PM..
Old 01-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #7
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High

I have the RIM OEM leather case. Love it.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:18 AM   #8
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlackberryBoy
brucejr,

I just purchased the fortte case as well. I was wondering if you have an extended battery and have tried putting the device with the extended battery in the fortte case and zipped it up? I am thinking it should fit, but would like to see if anyone already has that kind of setup and could give me their 2 cents. Thanks.
Good question. I am getting ready to purchase mine today for my 8703e:

2400mAh EXTENDED LIFE BATTERY FOR BLACKBERRY FOR 8703E - BACY24BB8703E02-BK

I have not seen any posts yet regarding how it affects cases, and car holders. I can imagine there might be some interference since the battery and associated door stick out farther than the standard one which comes with the BB.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:16 AM   #9
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance
Turns out that the side panels, with the elastic, aren't actually stitched in, even though they look like they are. They're GLUED into place, and the glue used on Bytech's product is CRAP with a capital CRAP!

Jack T--that is not true, you must have this case confused with another. The one I have is sewn, completely.

The first one I had, I did have a problem with the belt clip, I emailed the seller a picture, asked if could return it for a new one. They answered that they had a problem with the manufacturing of a set of cases, and that they would be mailing me a completely new one which I received in three days. They told me there was no need to send the old back. Excellent customer service and business with character who wanted to protect their reputation.

If you compare it to the other similar cases on Ebay, you'll notice these cases cost more $$s than the others, and there is a reason for that--better quality.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #10
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile
Cool

Quote:
Jack T--that is not true, you must have this case confused with another. The one I have is sewn, completely.
Well, like I said, the one you bought appears to be from Gizmoskins. Gizmoskins appears to be the ORIGINAL manufacturer of that case design. The one I bought, on the other hand, is manufactured by a company called Bytech. They make all kinds of low-cost generic accessories that are sold by those accessory kiosks in malls, independent cell phone dealers, and even, at times, Wal*Mart. The MSRP on the case I bought was $20. Luckily for me, I worked for an independent cell phone dealer that carried it, so I got it for our cost... all of a whopping $5. So I'm not out too much money. But afterwards, I paid full retail price to get the genuine RIM OEM leather pouch, because I needed a new pouch right away. And it's been worth every penny!
Quote:
The first one I had, I did have a problem with the belt clip, I emailed the seller a picture, asked if could return it for a new one. They answered that they had a problem with the manufacturing of a set of cases, and that they would be mailing me a completely new one which I received in three days. They told me there was no need to send the old back. Excellent customer service and business with character who wanted to protect their reputation.

If you compare it to the other similar cases on Ebay, you'll notice these cases cost more $$s than the others, and there is a reason for that--better quality.
Good to know that they believe in giving excellent customer service. I'll keep that in mind if I ever decide to go back to that style of case. But honestly, I don't know if I will. With the 7520, that slender flap was a good thing, because the 7520 has an external antenna that has to be accomodated. But the 8700g, on the other hand, has an internal antenna, as do all non-Nextel s. So, with that being the case, I prefer a full-width flap like on the OEM RIM leather case, because there's no longer an external antenna to deal with. Just my personal preference, that's all.

Thanks again for the info. I will keep it in mind.

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(
Old 01-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #11
kitmoni
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8130
PIN: >Options>Status

Wirelessly posted (Thumpers 8700c: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I have the Fortte leather case for my 8703e and it is awesome. Only complaint is that it took 3.5 weeks to arrive, but it is completely sewn and very high quality leather. I also got the free turning swivel (can't remember what it's called), which is the best option (IMO).

Good luck with your decision. I felt I was taking a chance on Fortte, but I couldn't be happier.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:55 PM   #12
J.W.
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g

Just picked up a black vertical STiL case from Fortte to replace my RIM OEM leather. A very nice case, tight fit, though I'm still out on whther I like the snap strap across the top of the case. I liked the ease of the magnetic closure on the RIM case, but it is a bluky case.

The Fortte case sits closer to my body, which is the main reason why I got it. The other is for the speaker cutout. The RIM case would muffle the ringer. I have the fixed clip version.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:38 PM   #13
BoxWave
Platinum Sponsor

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cingular

We carry screen protectors that you may be interested in. They come in anti-glare and crystal. You can check them out at our website, www.boxwave.com.

Chris-
BoxWave Accessories

Last edited by BoxWave; 03-07-2007 at 08:27 PM..
Old 01-03-2007, 09:38 PM   #14
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucejr
Good question. I am getting ready to purchase mine today for my 8703e:

2400mAh EXTENDED LIFE BATTERY FOR BLACKBERRY FOR 8703E - BACY24BB8703E02-BK

I have not seen any posts yet regarding how it affects cases, and car holders. I can imagine there might be some interference since the battery and associated door stick out farther than the standard one which comes with the BB.
Can anyone out there offer brucejr and myself any feedback on how the extended battery may fit in a the fortte case. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:04 PM   #15
RyanDe680

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxwave
We carry screen protectors that you may be interested in. They come in anti-glare and crystal. You can check them out at our website

BoxWave-
Are you running specials now for forum members?

Which protector do you recommend?
Old 01-06-2007, 07:34 PM   #16
mark0341
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
PIN: E Tree's
Default Vaja

Link: Vaja - Leather Products

These are the sexest cases money can buy.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #17
albiesf
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0341
Link: Vaja - Leather Products

These are the sexest cases money can buy.
Wow, those are nice cases. For me, I use the Monaco case which was actually reviewed here. It actually a very nice case and not too bulky, but something to consider is a removable belt clip for those days when you just want to carry it in your pocket.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bbf-...-included.html

As for screen protectors, I use the anti-glare, but to be honest, you can't go wrong with either type of screen protector.

"There's a time for compromise...it's called later".
Closed Thread