Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 08:25 AM   #1
afrazier5
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: ATT
Question BES 4.1.2 Role based access

Please Login to Remove!

I'm curious if anyone has enabled the role based access feature of the BES yet. We're wanting to give our service desk access to reset device passwords and perform basic troubleshooting but do not want to give them full access to the BES server. We are looking to install the management console on a common terminal server but want to ensure they do not have the ability to add/delete or do anything else to accounts short of ent/device password resets at this time. I've gone through the admin manual and it's pretty vague on how to set this up and how it works. If anyone has set this up, I'd appreciate some basic instructions and experience with how this is working in your organization.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:58 AM   #2
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

Yes I have set this up.

I've installed the Blackberry Manager front end on one of my surpervisors desktops which connects to the back end Dbase (MSDE on the BES) and the BES server themselves. I then set their role admin to db_admin_sr_helpdesk which seemed to be the most relevant for their role. If you look at the system administration guide for 4.1.2 and the appendix 1, this has a pretty good list of the functionality that's available for each role.

Personally I think the roles are better suited to 500 plus deployments rather than less, as I can't figure out why you need so many audit roles..but where a 20 strong shop, and it's just handy for me to have someone else internal that can look at stuff..
Old 12-22-2006, 11:25 AM   #3
afrazier5
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: ATT

Thanks bertiebassett. We actually have 4 BES servers spread across 3 continents on 4 different SQL Servers. I'm trying to set this up so each region can support their local/regional users. When I tried setting up the 4.1 Management console on my system, I get an error message:

"Remote installations of Blackberry Manager, MDS Connection Service or Collaboration Service require a Blackberry configuration database. You must install the Blackberry Enterprise Server first and then install the remote components."

This error is received on the Database Setting step after entering the Database location. I also have the Database location set to Remote. Do you know if there is a thorough step by step guide to setting up a remote console to allow for management without logging into the actual BES server?
Closed Thread