BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
Crazyapple
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: TMobile US
Default Starting Monday - Legally unlock your phone?

Please Login to Remove!

Copyright Office rules that consumers can legally unlock cellphones - Engadget

Now, we could legally unlock them now (I thought...) but the info was generally either purchased or you had to talk the carrier into it.

Does this mean the carriers will have to be forthcoming with the info? Or, better yet, future phones will not be locked to begin with?
Old 11-23-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
Szadzik
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyapple

Now, we could legally unlock them now (I thought...) but the info was generally either purchased or you had to talk the carrier into it.

Does this mean the carriers will have to be forthcoming with the info? Or, better yet, future phones will not be locked to begin with?
It all just means that removing the sim lock does not void your warranty [period]

It also means, that if you remove the sim lock, you do not lose warranty, HOWEVER, if in the process of removing sim lock you damage you phone, forget the warranty.

The carrier has NO duty to help you remove the sim lock. If they want to, thay can get phones without sim lock (like for example Vodafone.uk with their postpaid offers).
Old 11-23-2006, 09:37 PM   #3
YMark
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

So how long do you think it will take T-Mobile to abide by this. I'll bet a dollar to a donut that if I walk into my TMO store tomorrow with a copy of that ruling, they'll tell me to take a hike. What does everyone else think?
Old 11-23-2006, 09:57 PM   #4
lonnielove
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMark
So how long do you think it will take T-Mobile to abide by this. I'll bet a dollar to a donut that if I walk into my TMO store tomorrow with a copy of that ruling, they'll tell me to take a hike. What does everyone else think?
dare you
Old 11-23-2006, 11:39 PM   #5
Steve

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted (Cingular-Blue 7290: BlackBerry7290/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/101)

If anything, more likey they'd send you home to call customer service.

I, For one, would like my ATTW 7290 unlocked to use as a back up after fully migrating to Cingular. I'll have to ask, um, customer service.

Steve
Old 11-24-2006, 01:52 AM   #6
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
TMO is the easy company to get to unlock your phone. Just call CS and ask. I've never had a problem with them.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:44 AM   #7
ddfilms
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm
TMO is the easy company to get to unlock your phone. Just call CS and ask. I've never had a problem with them.
I agree you call them and give them the IMEI and they email you an unlock code in aout 48 hours. I have done it with 3 phones.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:19 AM   #8
Szadzik
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
This tuling does not say a WORD about the carriers duty to unlock your device. They still don't have to do it. Just read my previous post.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:55 AM   #9
YMark

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadzik
This tuling does not say a WORD about the carriers duty to unlock your device. They still don't have to do it. Just read my previous post.
Good point, and one I missed. The fact that it is now "legal" does not obligate the carrier to do it.

As for TMO, I did call them about a week ago. They said I had to be with them for 90 days before they'll give me the unlock code. Not a big deal, I won't be travelling out of the country before then.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:06 PM   #10
Foneman2000
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyapple

I was always under the impression that it was allready legal to unlock phones, I am a mobile phone dealer in the UK and have unlocked phones for years and make quite a bit of money by charging customers for this service. The networks lock them for their own reasons, however where there`s a will there`s a way and most can be unlocked by mobile phone dealers nationwide.

The network will also give you an unlock code and charge you anything from £20.00 for this service but they really like you to have done your minimum contract first!

Pin 204E3F70
Blackberry Pearl 8100 - Orange UK (Unlocked)
Telefónica Móviles OS 4.2.0.67
Closed Thread