BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 06:18 PM   #1
Raven VII
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7230
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Hey guys, I'm new. A few questions!

Please Login to Remove!

I've been a BlackBerry fan since the days of the RIM 850/950. I now own a BlackBerry 7230 after a brief romance with a SideKick (which I find lackluster). A few questions:

First, a superficial question: I had problems with my BlackBerry email after I upgraded it to 4.0 (it's now fixed), and had to try a reset by removing the battery. The battery cover was a ***** to remove, and when I put it back on, it feels a bit squeaky if I squeeze it... I never noticed before I did this, so is this normal? Superficial I know

Now to the meat:

First, how do I remove applications from my blackberry? And how do I add it? For one example, I want the Blackberry Browser, but I have t-zones, which sucks (and the icon is ugly too :p) can I remove that and add the Browser? Second, I have a email setup application which I don't need, can I remove that? Sure I can hide the icon, but still. :(

Second, how do I do a reformat on the BlackBerry? I read somewhere on the boards about some "javaloader -reset" or something like that. How do I do that?

Finally, I'm just wondering, which is the best version of 4.0? From what I read, the OS for the vendors differs, so I'm wondering.

Sorry for the barrage of questions, thanks in advance!
Old 03-05-2005, 07:06 PM   #2
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

The battery cover is a pig to remove on most BB models. I have no good advice other than grin a bear it. Develop your own technique.

You can remove appliations in two ways:
1. the application loader component of the desktop manager and
2. the options, applications, delete menu of the handheld
I generally remove applications in the same way they were installed: OTA apps are removed from the device and apps installed from the pc are deleted from the pc. You don't have to do this but it's the method I like.

The javaloader application should only be used when you have problems: eg you lockup your device with a 507 or 400 error. Go to www.blackberryguides.com and download their paper on the program. It's a powerful program but should be used with care.

Have fun - enjoy your machine

Old 03-05-2005, 08:47 PM   #3
Raven VII

Thanks, that BlackBerry Guides site is great. A majority of my questions are answered there. I only have two more questions left really,

Which BlackBerryOS 4.0 installation is the best? AT&T? Rogers? I keep hearing about those two.

Can I ignore T-Mobile's "rules", and resist the receiving of "T-Zones" and "Email Setup", and use BlackBerry Internet Browser instead?
Old 03-06-2005, 01:58 AM   #4
Learner

Before I loaded 4.0 onto my 7230, I called T-Mobile and asked what affect it would have. I was told none, because it was an operating system and not part of T-Mobile's package. I believe I loaded AT&T's, can't really recall, but never have had any trouble. I believe T-Mobile HAS 4.0 out now though.

As for T-Zones, I do not have any problem going to web sites. I believe 4.0 allows more browser options, such as javascripts, etc.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:53 AM   #5
Raven VII

So there's no difference between vendors as far as BlackBerryOS 4.0 goes?

And even so, could I make my own decisions on what software gets installed on my BlackBerry, or is t=zones and E-mail Setup pushed on there no matter what I do?

And interestingly enough, I didn't find anything referencing to t-zones or E-Mail Setup in the Applications list in Options. But in Browser, the default browser is t-zones, and the default WAP browser is E-mail Setup. Isn't this a bit strange?
Old 03-06-2005, 04:29 AM   #6
Raven VII

Well I played around a bit, and found out something interesting... I found t-zones and E-mail Setup in Service Book in Options. Well I deleted them, and presto! No more t-zones or E-Mail Setup in the icon menu! But... no Browser. I went to check my installed applications, and the Browser is there. Checked my Browser preferences, and saw that there's no default browsers to choose from.

So what exactly is this Browser in my applications list? And how can I install the BlackBerry Browser, or make it visible to the everywhere other than the installed applications list?
Old 03-06-2005, 08:10 AM   #7
Learner

I believe the BB browser is only available if you use the BES, otherwise, T-Zones, or some third party browser, supports browsing for BWC. So, if you are not on the BES the browser will not be available.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:00 AM   #8
PCW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Droid
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Damned Battery Door!

I have to throw in my two cents worth here. I couldn't agree more with the OP on the battery door issue.

I also have owned an 850, then a 950, and now a 7230. And maybe soon a 7250. I'm still in a wait 'n see mode. But in any event, RIM engineers have GOT to come up with a better battery door design than that PIECE OF CRAP excuse for a lid on the back that squeeks and flexes to the point where I confuse my BB with a GameBoy or something in terms of quality.

The old 850/950 series had a very secure, clever battery door with a strong clip release to open the thing. Very secure design. Those older models were bulletproof. The keyboards were easier to type on, too. Better button spacing and layout.

Come on RIM. These things are becoming throwaways the way they're now being built.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:43 PM   #9
Raven VII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner
I believe the BB browser is only available if you use the BES, otherwise, T-Zones, or some third party browser, supports browsing for BWC. So, if you are not on the BES the browser will not be available.
I see various posts all over this board, such as posts in Rejhon's FAQ threads about something called "BlackBerry Internet Browser" that doesn't require a BES. How do I get that?
Old 03-06-2005, 10:11 PM   #10
Eric5273
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100g
Carrier: Cingular

As far as the battery cover, I have the 7100g and I can say that it's really easy to pop off the back cover and put it back on -- easier than any phone I have owned in the past except for my Verizon LG phone which had no "battery cover" (the battery itself was the cover since CDMA has no sim card). Perhaps this is a design improvement on the 7100 series over the older Blackberrys.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:55 AM   #11
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: If you knew me you would have it!

Sorry to say, but you need those service books you deleted to allow you access to the web. The web browser you are referring to is Reqwireless Webviewer. www.reqwireless.com It is a full HTML web browser. I'm not totally sure if TMO is supported but worth a try.
Closed Thread