Old 07-26-2006, 01:09 AM   #1
NetGuyR
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T
Carrier: ATT
Default Battery - four red x's

Please Login to Remove!

Hello Everyone!

I recently received a new 8700c, and I just noticed on the battery there is a little sticker that is pink, and has four red x's on it. What does that mean? I was thinking it was a liquid indicator, but that can't be - the device is brand new.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2006, 01:21 AM   #2
mymitsu3kgt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9780
PIN: 236676A8
Carrier: TMobile

I don't know why everyone is discovering this all of a sudden, I think three threads today alone. http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-pregnant.html There is a water damage sticker on the phone under the battery cover. This sticker on the battery is not a water damage sticker. I believe someone earlier today came up with the best answer. That sticker is kind of like a fuse. If something shorts out, that sticker will "pop" and turn black.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:59 AM   #3
sroetter
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

You might be right, however, last week I posted that I wore my Blackberry 8700 while cutting the grass. I got sweat on the phone, and the white water damage sticker turned red. Everything works fine. At the same time, the sticker on my battery changed from red X's to a solid red line. I think it is a moisture indicater.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
NetGuyR
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T

So, it sounds like no one has a real, direct answer.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:13 AM   #5
kriswilliams03
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: stuck in the balloon
Carrier: AT & T

I have a solid red line on my battery sticker as well, but the 'Berry has never been exposed to water.

Kris
Old 07-26-2006, 01:31 PM   #6
brinaht
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: bobby pin
Carrier: AT&T

I have a couple of different batteries for the 8700c. Two of them have the 4 red x's on it, where the other 2 have a red line. Here is the difference that I can tell. The ones with the red x's are more round and the other 2 are more square like the 7290 batteries. I think that it is a moisture indicator. The red line sticker will bleed when wet and make the whole sticker red. I don't quite know what the red x's do when moisture gets to it.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:40 PM   #7
cooperpwc
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

I have a very new battery, square, red line. Which seems to support brinaht's analysis.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:29 PM   #8
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8300r
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I can assure you it is a moisture indicator - I dropped my spare in a puddle next to the sink and the four xs turned into a solid sticker.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:02 PM   #9
JAMESOJA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T Mobile
Default Shock Indicator

I would venture to say that the X's turn to a line when the device is dropped. These types of shock indicators are used by movers when moving large LCD and Plasma tvs. I recently asked the movers when they were moving my belongings what the stickers with these indicators were for, and they said if the device is dropped the chemiclas make a solid colored line. Could RIM be putting moisture sensors(white circles which turn red after getting wet) and Shock indicators( the X's turn to a line when dropped?). Just a thought.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:28 PM   #10
bremere
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8230
PIN: ky and the Brain
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Each cell phone battery manufactured within the past 6+ years has some form of moisture indicator built into the battery and/or the phone itself. As previously indicated there are 2 different indicator stickers on the RIM batteries, one with a white background with a red line (when exposed to moisture the red bleeds into the white turning it pink in color) and a sticker with little red x's all over it with a white background (this too when exposed to moisture will turn pink and the x's will get larger to show presence of moisture.). Your berry does not need to go for a swim in the pool in order to change the moisture indicators. If you take your berry into the bathroom while the shower is running (see the steam on your mirror, that forms inside your berry too!) or as stated earlier sweat from being outside, or going from a very cold air conditioned room outside (for those who wear glasses you know about the condensation buildup on your lenses) all of these factors contribute to moisture damage. With light exposure to moisture you will notice little or no difference with regards to the performance of your berry. As the level of moisture increases, so does the likelyhood of noticing problems with your berry. (like it turning off on it's own, or not vibrating anymore, or only vibrating, etc)

The "shock" indicators mentioned for plasma and HDTV's is more of a "tilt" meter. These devices are used to gauge if your shipping company obeyed the "THIS END UP" sticker on the box or not.

And with all that being said, your useless tip of the day is complete

-emb
Closed Thread