Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 10:56 AM   #1
dshearon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Global Address List

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone ever heard of any intent by RIM to enable access to the corporate GAL other than using the lookup option?
Old 02-23-2005, 11:21 AM   #2
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

would there be a need? considering most of the current handhelds are fairly restricted due to memory issues, why would you want to have that much data on there? assuming they know about it, the GAL Lookup is more than sufficient, imo.

i think they way they have implemented it (keep in mind, this is still fairly new) is the best of both worlds - no memory used; minimal access times to the entire GAL. it may be a few extra steps (not really, depending on the size of the GAL), but i think the good far outweighs the bad.

anyhow, i don't think they will be adding the GAL locally to the BB. thats just my opinion, as i don't see a real legitimate and feasible reason for them to do so.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:50 PM   #3
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

I guess maybe if you were a smaller org with <1000 entries in your global address book it might make some sense. But it should be pretty easy to push out a new addy book to everyones desktop. Biggest problem I see with that is users will always add personal addresses to their blackberries. How many people you know that use "Home" to call home? Imagine 30 blackberries trying to sync to a global book using home as their home address... think about it.. ;)
Old 03-16-2005, 09:43 PM   #4
smandell
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Cingular

I'm in the same position as dshearon. I've read tons of forums looking for a solution and the funny thing is i've seen hundreds of posts asking the same question and everytime someone replies with "why would you need that?"

Obviously, there is a demand for it. It would only be a problem in huge organizations. We have 200+ employees and everyone loves having the corporate directory on the BB.

Anyway, the solution I've been using for about a year is:
Exporting the GAL to a contact list in an exchange public folder.
ADD that public folder to the pim sync in the desktop manager.
Voila! Now everyone has our corporate directory on the BB and it doesn't interfere at all with their other personal contacts.

Unfortunately, since upgrading to 4.0 and going completely OTA sync we can't do that anymore because there's no OTA sync with public folders!

Now I'm back in the same boat.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:45 AM   #5
loonews
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7280, 7290, 7250, 7100

I know ya'll probably know this but you are aware of the "find" function right? Just hit the wheel while looking at contacts, then find, then type part of the name, it will search the gal.

If you knew that apologies, but with 15k plus in our gal our users love the features the way it is.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:12 AM   #6
smandell

The lookup function works ok. The problems are it's an extra step, doesn't work for caller ID, can't browse list for a name you can't quite remember.

If you can't do it quickly while driving and eating a doughnut, it's worthless.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:49 AM   #7
stevenyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: lots
Carrier: t-mobile

I feel your pain, smandell. I'm constanyly being bounced back and forth between users asking "Why can't we do this?" and people online asking "Why do you want to do that?" It's very easy to do on a Goodlink server, hopefully RIM will offer it as an option one day.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:55 AM   #8
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

The word they use is shared address books I think, and as far as everything I've heard they plan it for a future enhancement
Old 05-06-2005, 01:09 PM   #9
kp1

Model: 7280

I'm in the same "smaller" company boat - how are people handling getting the Exchange GAL onto the ver 4 blackberry? I just upgraded my BES to 4, and would like to move to a totally wireless environment - no desktop software for sync. Previously, with the BES 3.6, I had a public folder with the GAL contents, and I would synch each users personal contacts and the GAL from the public folder. What do I do now??? My GAL is only about 500 email addresses, so size is not a concern. And my 25+ users insist on being able to select names from a list - they don't like the "Lookup" feature. Having a copy of the GAL in everyone's contacts (as a subfolder) is an option, but it'll be a headache to update everyone's "personal" GAL everytime the GAL changes. Anyone know of any automated ways to extract the GAL and dump it into everyone's personal Outlook contacts as a subfolder??
Old 05-06-2005, 01:21 PM   #10
smandell

I tried to find an automated solution on experts-exchange but didn't get very far.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Netw..._21353824.html

Steve
Old 05-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #11
avidan

Model: 8700G
Carrier: verizon

Good time for a first post. I am in the same boat, 250+ in the company. We have a Public Directory which is a mirror of our GAL (anyone know a way to automate the mirroring?). I am new to BES, so i never got to see OTA synching of the public directories. Does anyone have an option for getting this done? I hate to say it, but my treo users get to have this function with good, there has got to be a way to get this done with BES. I know, I know, there is GAL lookup, but Caller-id is HUGELY missed.

thanks,
avidan
Old 05-04-2006, 04:34 PM   #12
ericwoodford

Model: 7520
Carrier: Sprint

I'd suggest looking into one of the many BES - BC (Business Continuity) applications. I was just looking at a iTrezzo's product which looks like it will do just that (replicate GAL to BB devices).
Old 05-04-2006, 05:29 PM   #13
avidan

i will take a look. but as i am just in trial mode right now, i doubt i will be purchasing new apps to get it to work. is there any way that BES can do public directories?
thanks.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:00 PM   #14
voiceBerry

Model: 71xx

Hi,Sir

Would you like to take look at this URL:http://www.mbiztech.com/products_mcontacts.html
or directly to call or send us message. we can talk abouit this issue?
Old 06-08-2006, 02:42 PM   #15
bbgirl
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: all
Carrier: All carrier's

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidan
i will take a look. but as i am just in trial mode right now, i doubt i will be purchasing new apps to get it to work. is there any way that BES can do public directories?
thanks.

I remember reading something about this issue. a solution involved public folders and the GAL, I believe the thread was here..somewhere...
Old 06-08-2006, 07:01 PM   #16
avidan

I am not looking for a paid solution. bbgirl, do you think you remember where on the forums that solution was?
thanks,
avidan
Old 06-21-2006, 01:58 PM   #17
lw1133

Model: 8700

We are in a similar situation in BES 4.1, the lookup feature is not fast enough for my users. We are looking for a paid solution, we have looked at Wallace and Onset, anyone know of any other companies that makes a solution for an easy access GAL and Pin-to-Pin blasting in case of emergency?
Old 10-06-2006, 03:40 AM   #18
Slipstream

Model: xxxx
Carrier: none
Default GALSync

Sync your Global Address List to your mobile device:

www . slipstreamsolutions.co.uk/products/mGALSync.htm

Regards

Slipstream Solutions
Old 10-10-2006, 12:14 PM   #19
Xaneth
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Fantastic program! Works great when you use the filters. Next step is to somehow sync my contacts with everyone elses. Public folders would be nice, but we're running BES 4.1.

Last edited by Xaneth; 10-10-2006 at 01:16 PM..
Closed Thread