BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 12:21 AM   #1
blake.blake
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: pearl
Carrier: tmobile
Default VICTORY! T-Mobile opens up blackberry ports! Internet Works!

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Insert Note Added By Mark Rejhon Where He
Good News!
BlackBerry Users Win T-Mobile VICTORY!

Newsflash: PORTS ARE OPEN!

Who Benefits: Non-BES users on T-Mobile who wants to run MDS software (Internet TCP/IP stack) without needing to get BES just for themselves.

Newsflashe found on other websites too:
http://www.blackberrycool.com/2005/02/11/00172/

(Thanks, blake.blake for being one of first few to bring this to BlackBerryForums attention!)
my friend is a corp accounts rep and sent me this because we got into it about my nextel bb and why i got it instead of a tmobile from him

Sent: Feb 10, 2005 6:02 PM
Subject: Daily News Wire - February 10 - BlackBerry Customers Gain Capability to Browse Open Internet

Sales Communications would like you to be aware of this article:
Daily News Wire - February 10 - BlackBerry Customers Gain Capability to Browse Open Internet Last Modified on: Feb 10, 2005 by: Liz Fong

BREAKING NEWS! BlackBerry Customers Gain Capability to Browse Open Internet

Effective February 9, BlackBerry customers can Get More from T-Mobile by gaining open Internet capabilities and access to all Internet services when they use their WAP APN.

New functionality

Blackberry customers who are on current and grandfathered BlackBerry service plans will gain access to the open Internet, allowing them freedom to browse the Internet without restrictions.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:54 AM   #2
TMPhoneBerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Re: T-Mobile opens up blackberry ports -

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake.blake
my friend is a corp accounts rep and sent me this because we got into it about my nextel bb and why i got it instead of a tmobile from him

Sent: Feb 10, 2005 6:02 PM
Subject: Daily News Wire - February 10 - BlackBerry Customers Gain Capability to Browse Open Internet

Sales Communications would like you to be aware of this article:
Daily News Wire - February 10 - BlackBerry Customers Gain Capability to Browse Open Internet Last Modified on: Feb 10, 2005 by: Liz Fong

BREAKING NEWS! BlackBerry Customers Gain Capability to Browse Open Internet

Effective February 9, BlackBerry customers can Get More from T-Mobile by gaining open Internet capabilities and access to all Internet services when they use their WAP APN.

New functionality

Blackberry customers who are on current and grandfathered BlackBerry service plans will gain access to the open Internet, allowing them freedom to browse the Internet without restrictions.
Wow thats nice. Mark R and lot of the other folks are the once to be thanked for finally pressuring tmobile through forums like these to make this possible.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:38 AM   #3
Bratag
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T

I can confirm this midpssh now working again - Nice job everyone who hassled T-Mobile constantly for this and good work T-Mobile for listening to you customers (eventually)
Old 02-11-2005, 09:34 AM   #4
vinniet
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

I have a question, I am on TMO with 7230 with no BES. I am running OS 4 which has a TCP stack.

Does that mean I can now run application that needed BES with 3.7, with OS 4 without BES?

Vinnie
Old 02-11-2005, 12:57 PM   #5
vinniet
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

UPDATE!!!

Applications that I needed BES to work now work with OS 4 and TMO opening ports. Microsky did not work on 3.7 but now I am able to connect to the server and download astronomy data.

I will try other applications and other like me should do the same. Report back what works not, like chat (blackchat), telnet, etc.

Vinnie
Old 02-11-2005, 05:12 PM   #6
destinyschild

Model: 8100
Carrier: att
Default working?

all of the sudden my weather comes up on BBtoday - will try the laptop connection tonight and post results... (BWC 4.0) TMO)
Old 02-11-2005, 06:33 PM   #7
authentication_key
Thumbs Must Hurt

I can confirm this as a memo was distributed on the 8th on feb about this in t-mobile!!
Old 02-11-2005, 07:46 PM   #8
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Thank you!

This is AMAZING BREAKING NEWS.
The BlackBerry Internet Community WINS!

Credit goes every T-Mobile BlackBerry user to HowardForums, RIMROAD and BlackBerryForums for their efforts in making this victory possible by keeping the pressure on T-Mobile until this VICTORY!

I have crossposted at:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...postid=4594273
http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=566116
http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/show...threadid=55159
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 02-11-2005, 08:14 PM   #9
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Curve
Carrier: tmo

This is awesome. Thanks to everyone (including myself for getting it posted on Gizmodo.com). Abidia and all my other apps now work!!!

Thank you T-mobile.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:23 PM   #10
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Crossposting here just so that everyone has their 7100t configured properly...
(Please reply if your configuration is different from this and it still works -- I would love to hear about alternate working configurations that are different from this too.)

IMPORTANT:
New Configuration Instructions Required!

Make sure you are already Running BlackBerryOS 3.8 or later. If not, please upgrade to BlackBerryOS 4.0. If you are using a 7100/7290 user you are already ready. If you are a 7230/7730 user, you must download and install BlackBerryOS 4.0 first.

T-Mobile now needs to configure their BlackBerry:
Tools->APN (or Options->APN)
  • APN: wap.voicestream.com
  • Username: Your T-Mobile Username
  • Password: Your T-Mobile Password
Then you must reboot your BlackBerry. The above instructions are derived from the updated version of:If all the above fails, even after you reboot, call your T-Mobile representative and get "wap.voicestream.com" added. It should now be a relatively simple procedure, now that a memo has been distributed to all T-Mobile Sales employees, that the Internet feature now exists on BlackBerry. Most BlackBerry accounts should automatically be upgraded. However, if you have not called T-Mobile after February 11th, 2005, please call T-Mobile again and ask them to get "wap.voicestream.com" Internet Access Point name added to your account.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:41 AM   #11
LearBB
Knows Where the Search Button Is

So maybe we can use this as leverage for us Cingular customers that have to call 50 times to find a CS rep that has a clue about BBs. Congrats to Tmob customers, wish us luck. Still can't get them to accurately set up my account with the big "3" special line items. They do believe that they have, unfortunately.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:48 AM   #12
bthorsness

Default This all sounds very good but.....

I tried to configure my BB7100 to again use it as a modem to get on the web. It used to work very well before T-Mobile shut off the ports.

Using the information posted and using it with and without a password would let me "dial up" and get on the system, but the browser still times out without downloading anything.

I called T-Mobile and both the tech and the supervisor "Bob" (who by the way was the very first rude person I have encountered at TMobile) said they don't know anything about setting up the wap account.

Seems perhaps nothing has changed and tech support doesn't know about the changes?? Looking forward to seeing other posts about success using the 7100 as a modem.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:58 AM   #13
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Does other software work? i.e. email, etc?

Try overriding the nameservers (i.e. test out alternate nameservers instead of letting nameservers get automatically assigned). See if that works.

Try re-creating the dialup Internet on a different computer system and see if it works from there.
Closed Thread