Old 02-19-2006, 12:06 AM   #1
JuneK
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: none
Carrier: none
Default Enterprise Activation w/Internal Only e-mail

Please Login to Remove!

I'm a newbie to BES & BB's.

Just want to confirm (after wading thru 12 pages of topics on activation) that if I set up a user with internal only e-mail, then I can't use wireless activation for that BB, because the e-mail msg from Rim will never get to his mailbox.

If the user's computer does not have access to the local network, then the only way to activate this BB is to connect it to the Admin computer via the Handheld Configuration Tool?

Can Desktop Manager be run with the user's computer connected via VPN or Remote Desktop Connection (connecting the local serial ports)?

Thanks,

June
Old 02-19-2006, 01:28 AM   #2
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneK
Just want to confirm (after wading thru 12 pages of topics on activation) that if I set up a user with internal only e-mail, then I can't use wireless activation for that BB, because the e-mail msg from Rim will never get to his mailbox.
Correct

Quote:
If the user's computer does not have access to the local network, then the only way to activate this BB is to connect it to the Admin computer via the Handheld Configuration Tool?
Correct

Quote:
Can Desktop Manager be run with the user's computer connected via VPN or Remote Desktop Connection (connecting the local serial ports)?
Should work just fine with VPN. I would not be too confident that it can be done with RDC. BlackBerries dont like USB hubs, can't imagine they would like a virtual connection.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-19-2006, 03:55 PM   #3
JuneK

Thanks!

If they don't like hubs, then I guess you can't hook a bunch of them up to one computer to upload and download application data from/to them at night, instead of doing it over the air.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:13 PM   #4
JuneK

Just want to post this so the next person that wants to activate a BB with an internal only e-mail can find it. The whole SBS/BES setup was new to us, and no one was using the e-mail, so the first time we tried to activate a BB, basically nothing happened. After the user set up Outlook 2003 and accessed the mailbox, the BB activated nice as can be.

The following steps (copied from an earlier message - Thanks!) were the key.

1. Configure Computer with profile so that user can read their Email in Outlook Email client.
2. Install/start Blackberry Desktop Software
3. Connect Handheld
4. You will be prompted to generate the encryption keys and the BES server will start sending Mail.
5. To customize any settings, you will need to go in to the BES server and right click on the newly activated user and select properties. Then go in to filters and select what file folders and what filters to apply. i.e. INBOX and all redirect all messages that are addressed "TO:" or "CC:" or however you want to set it up.
Closed Thread