Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 03:01 AM   #1
Cazza

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T mobile
Default Upgraded OS now battery losing power

Please Login to Remove!

I have a BB Torch 9800 about 3 months old. After having to re-install Win7 on my desktop (that's another story) I reloaded BB desktop manager and plugged in my torch. It told me I needed to update my software - assuming this was an update for Desktop Manager I selected OK but then it proceeded to update the software on my device.

I now have no battery life. The phone is set to automatically switch off at night, turning back on at 7am. It was fully charged when I went to bed on Tues evening but when I came to use it at 8:30 on Weds it was completely dead and had to reset itself completely before I could turn it on. A full battery charge now lasts about 40 mins.

Previous to this the battery lasted a full day if I was making calls or 1.5 - 2 days if not used. The settings I have set are the same as before and I have removed all the apps I can. I do not have a plan where I can access such things as twitter on it so these are removed. Bluetooth is switched on, but it always was before as I have a handsfree kit in the car that I need to use.

As I am out and about all day I cannot have it plugged in all the time, it does charge in the car but this is not practical.

Can anyone help? If I "reset to factory settings" will this revert to the previous version of the operating system and hopefully put things right? I did have it backed up but it was the one folder I didn't save before I re-formatted the PC. I can only assume it is not the battery as it worked fine on Monday.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Upgraded OS now battery losing power

Reset to factory does not downgrade the OS. If you want to do that, search for instructions. Also see blackberryfaq.com.

The battery draining down in 40 minutes is pretty incredible. The BlackBerry must get very warm to the touch, actually probably hot when this is happening. Does it? .... If not, then it isn't the battery draining but an error with the indicator.

First suspect when battery life is really short is apps running and hitting the network frequently. You should check that, and make it a habit to fully exit/close apps that you don't absolutely need to leave running. Pay attention to apps that run in the background when close.

If worse comes to worse, you should try wiping the device (with JL_CMDER or BBSAK) and then reinstalling the software. Test before you add any aftermarket apps.

Or, downgrade to the earlier OS version you were using.

If you still have trouble, try a new battery.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:26 AM   #3
Cazza

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T mobile
Default Re: Upgraded OS now battery losing power

Thanks for that information - as I said the battery drains overnight when the device is actually turned off so there is nothing running on it, I also don't use any apps on it so have deleted all those i could. It is very warm in the morning whe I pick it up.

I am going to try reinstalling the previous version of the software as it was alright last week when I had that running on it. Thanks for the help on that too.
Closed Thread