yuanzhoulu
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Question APN settings + International data

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I just upgraded from a Pearl 8120 to a Bold 9780 with T-mo USA.

With my Pearl 8120, I was able to roam internationally using the "BlackBerry Unlimited International E-mail" plan at a flat rate, for the few times a year I'm out of the country. A lot of people claim that this plan is for e-mail and not other data use. Customer reps usually but not always agree but their inconsistency makes them a bad source of information. Anyway, I've been getting unlimited E-mail *AND* all data, actually -- I've used this plan for nearly 3 years several times in multiple continents and never gotten charged a cent for web browsing abroad. Mind you, I didn't abuse it -- mostly Google Maps, instant messaging, Wikipedia and other casual informational use. As of March 2010 I travelled abroad and got free data.

My Pearl 8120 had the APN field left blank.

My new 9780 has 'epc.tmobile.com' as the APN. I tried clearing the APN and surprisingly everything continued to work fine.

Questions:
1. Is this epc.tmobile.com just a new ploy to differentiate e-mail vs. other traffic so they can charge for international data? Or is there any other advantage for me to use epc.tmobile.com?

2. If I leave the APN blank does that mean T-mobile cannot differentiate my data?

Last edited by yuanzhoulu; 12-16-2010 at 06:17 PM..
Closed Thread

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off