Old 08-24-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
DaveDanger
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular
Default Need to uninstall multiple desktop managers

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all,
Am running XP SP3 and have been using BB DM 4.2 for quite a long time with no difficulty. I know it's old, but it's the latest version that will sync with Outlook 2000, which is what I have available. 4.2 has worked week in and week out for a few years.

For a variety of reasons, I decided to upgrade to DM 4.7 and do the best I could with my Outlook sync problems, but immediately ran into difficulties with DM 4.7 seeing my AT&T BB Bold 9000 at all over the USB connection.
The computer sees the phone when it's connected, I can browse the files and folder on the phone, and the charger function works fine, the Desktop Manager simply does not see the phone at all.

Long story short, I decided to uninstall 4.7 and reinstall my 4.2 which works fine. The 4.7 refuses to uninstall completely. I have tried repeatedly to uninstall using the add/remove software function in XP, and I get an error message saying:

“Error 1326. Error getting file security: D:\Program Files\Research In Motion\Blackberry\Transaction Manager\ComponentData\Eventlogs\ GetlastError: 5”

When I click “OK” at that error message, it rolls back the un-installation attempt and exits the add/remove programs uitily.

I get no other option.

Going thru that procedure again to make sure I’m documenting the error message correctly for this post, I see an additional problem… the Add/Remove utility has Desktop Manager 4.2.2 listed, NOT 4.7. But if I go to my desktop and click on the Desktop Manager Icon that is present, it starts, doesn’t load properly, but it does get far enough for me to see that it is DM 4.7.

I apparently have a partial install of 4.2 AND 4.7. Neither of which will uninstall properly.

I have searched this forum and there are multiple listings for performing a “Clean Uninstall of Blackberry Desktop Software in 6 steps” and I’ve read thru them all.

Step 1 says to remove the software using Add/Remove software, and in my case (and many others I saw) that doesn’t ever completely uninstall. It locks up on the error message and backs out.

The RIM folder and files can’t be deleted from the hard drive either as there are several sub-folders that refuse to delete in any fashion.

Any assistance appreciated.

David
Old 08-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Try running in DOS mode and deleting the directory. it will take some time and you may have to change the "attrib" to remove the read only restriction on some files.

run/cmd to get to DOS mode . Read up on attrib.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
DaveDanger
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular

Tried from DOS, tried to change attributes, tried with rmdir, tried del *.*... no luck with any of it. Tried Revo Uninstaller, Tried MoveOnBoot, finally succeeded with UnLocker.
Got it done. Uninstalled everything I had in the desktop computer that in any way related to Blackberry Desktop Manager.
---SOLVED---

Last edited by DaveDanger; 08-29-2010 at 04:53 PM..
Old 08-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Unlocker may have worked but the site owner has a big issue with antivirus software detecting bad downloads. I went to the site and found my machine locked up. I Have mcafee AV and it nearly had a heart attack. You might run a scan of your computer and wipe out any cookies.

Glad you got DM out though
Closed Thread