BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
surfgrom04
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default With keyboard locked, pressing red end/power button still tunrs off BB?

Please Login to Remove!

Discovered this the hard way (by missing some important calls)--if you lock the keyboard, but hold down the red end/power key, the BB will still turn off. Holding it down initially produces the "keyobard is locked" popup, but if you hold it down for a few more seconds, it shuts it off.

What is the point of this? Seems to completely defeat the purpose of locking the keyboard--to protect against performing a function by unknowingly pressing a key!

Anyone else notice this?

BTW, I'm on a Bold 9650 (just got it this past Friday as a Tour replacement) running .732

Last edited by surfgrom04; 06-28-2010 at 03:01 PM..
Old 06-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
Andi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I think it has always worked this way - either with the red button or on the older ones with the power button on top... Tested with my 9700 and then with an 8700 - same result with both.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

The lock help accidental button pushing. Holding down the red button is deliberate

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
surfgrom04
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Huh, been using a BB for several years now, but never had this happen (that I shut it off by accident). Maybe it has to do with the trackpad vs. trackball and how it sits in my pocket? (Doubtful)

For what it's worth, I think it's a feature worth modifying in a future OS. If the end key gets pressed by accident, and the thing that is pressing on it continues for just 5 seconds (I timed it), the BB is shut off until the person realizes (could be hours). Can't really see the sense in that. If the user locks it, they want it locked because they know the buttons might get pressed, they don't lock it understanding that is could be shut off! If the user was looking at the phone and was indeed deliberately trying to shut the BB off, they would see the message that the phone was locked and would unlock it, and then turn it off.

Anyways, this is a small issue, but I'm just sayin'...
Old 06-29-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
jdurand

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

I've had a 7100, Pearl, Curve, Tour and now a Bold 9650. I've always locked them and put them in my pocket. The Bold is the only one that has actually powered off and sometimes back on, being left in an unlocked state. I've talked to friends with the 9650 and they have the same problem as well.

I had to go back and test previous models, because I was convinced it was something new in the Bold. Sure enough they all did it. They just never did it by accident.

On my previous BlackBerrys the power button is recessed back a bit. On the Bold it sits higher then the screen. It's also larger then previous versions because of the touchpad.

If RIM considers it a "feature" to allow the power button to work while locked, then at least they should make it an optional feature.
Closed Thread