BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
C_Lundquist

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T
Default 8700C Leather or Titanium Case

Please Login to Remove!

Anybody have any ideas on a good leather case or titanium case for the 8700c? Any recommendations?
Old 01-02-2006, 02:39 PM   #2
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700

I tend to go for "overkill" in terms of cases, i.e. the more tank-like the bettter, and after reading another popular thread here about a shattered 8700 screen, I'm gonna stick to that. I have a titanium case for my iPod mini, and I love it... I need something protective that I can toss into my briefcase (also metal ) without worry.

Unfortunately, I too have been looking for such a case (titanium, aluminum, etc.) for my 8700 but haven't found anything yet. When I do, I'll post here, but I think it's just too soon.

However, I suggest that one thing you consider is a metal case's impact on BB reception. I bought a gorgeous, custom-fit aluminum case for my 7290 (forgive me; I can't recall who made it or the site on which I bought it), but found it seriously killed my BB's reception, so I abandoned it. I think my 8700's reception on Cingular is better than my 7290, so I'll likely try metal again, but reception is something to consider is weighing metal v. leather if you're concerned about missing calls/notifications.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:43 PM   #3
lgreenberg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

There is a nice discussion on cases for the 8700 here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=22465
Old 01-02-2006, 05:16 PM   #4
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Default See the discussion at my site

Where you can pick up the tips too. There will be new ones soon that should meet most peoples needs so hang on. If you can wait til end of Jan.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:38 PM   #5
stevew

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

Titanium case?? Gimme a break...even if one existed, you would lose reception to the point where it wouldn't work most of the time...

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 01-02-2006, 06:55 PM   #6
lgreenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Titanium case?? Gimme a break...even if one existed, you would lose reception to the point where it wouldn't work most of the time...
I'm not sure that's true at all. There are plenty of titanium cases for other wireless devices, like the Treo 600, and their radio's don't seem to be effected.

Example...........

http://www.innopocket.com/web/showPr...&code=HT-0310T
Old 01-02-2006, 07:04 PM   #7
Concept
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T Mobile

The treo would do alright in a titanium case because it has an external antenna that would stick out of the case. The 8700 has no external antenna so reception would suffer greatly.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:04 PM   #8
stevew

RF can't penetrate metal, so unless there is an opening somewhere on the case that would allow RF to get through, it would not work well, if at all. The BB being a push device, unlike the others, has to be able to receive at all times, not just while out of the case.

Previously owned:
Old 01-02-2006, 10:03 PM   #9
lgreenberg

Again, I think you are both mistaken.

There are plenty of metal cases out there for devices that don't have external antennas.

Innopocket actually makes them for the Blackberry. So perhaps you should let them know that their cases cause the Blackberry not to work. I'm pretty sure they would have tested this before they started selling them though but maybe not. Maybe these cases are designed so that RF is allowed to penetrate through an opening of some sort?

Here's the one for the 71xx series.

And for the 66xx/77xx series.

They also make them for other devices which don't have external antennas.

www.innopocket.com

The bottom line is the person's request is not far fetched and someone will probably release a metal hard case eventually.

Last edited by lgreenberg; 01-02-2006 at 10:06 PM..
Old 01-02-2006, 10:09 PM   #10
stevew

These cases have open areas, but still impede RF to a large degree...just because some company makes them, does not mean that they DONT have issues with the end use. I know enough about RF to know that they will interfere with the device. Ever wonder why as a rule...phones (especially those with internal antenna's) are not made from metal casings?

Previously owned:
Old 01-02-2006, 10:12 PM   #11
lgreenberg

Not sure what else I can say to make you understand.

Here's a thread with a few people using the case. It doesn't seem to be a problem for them.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...392#post151392

P.S. Check out the Motorola Razr, the Nokia 8800. Both recently released high end phones made with metal in the housing.

Oh and how about the Vertu, the most expensive cell phone in the world. Guess what's it's made from? Yep, metal. I'm don't think people are paying $30,000 for phones that don't work.

Last edited by lgreenberg; 01-02-2006 at 10:16 PM..
Old 01-02-2006, 11:12 PM   #12
stevew

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreenberg
Not sure what else I can say to make you understand.

Here's a thread with a few people using the case. It doesn't seem to be a problem for them.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...392#post151392

P.S. Check out the Motorola Razr, the Nokia 8800. Both recently released high end phones made with metal in the housing.

Oh and how about the Vertu, the most expensive cell phone in the world. Guess what's it's made from? Yep, metal. I'm don't think people are paying $30,000 for phones that don't work.
Any phone using metal casings, must have an area where the antenna is not surrounded by metal...try putting your phone in a fully enclosed solid metal enclosure, then call it and see how well works...and BTW, the Razr is NOT metal, it has some metal parts on the case, but most of it is not metal. Once again, RF does not go through metal...all is not as it appears to be...if you do the research...you will see what I mean...I didn't make this up...nor did I invent the laws of physics.

Previously owned:
Old 01-03-2006, 06:12 AM   #13
lgreenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Any phone using metal casings, must have an area where the antenna is not surrounded by metal...try putting your phone in a fully enclosed solid metal enclosure, then call it and see how well works...and BTW, the Razr is NOT metal, it has some metal parts on the case, but most of it is not metal. Once again, RF does not go through metal...all is not as it appears to be...if you do the research...you will see what I mean...I didn't make this up...nor did I invent the laws of physics.
I said the Razr has metal IN THE HOUSING. Yeah, I know a little about the phone. And other phones too. My other web site has a little to do with them. ;)

You obviously are unwilling to accept the reality of the situation. I'm not arguing that a phone made entirely of metal would work on not. It's your failure to accept that metal cases and phones with metal in them that exist and work fine that's at fault here.

Let's let this go.

Last edited by lgreenberg; 01-03-2006 at 06:14 AM..
Old 01-04-2006, 05:22 PM   #14
nopesos

Model: 8700c

Hmmm. I just stuck my BB in the fridge and a stainless ice bucket with stainless sealed lid and unfortunately it still worked.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:50 PM   #15
mmreed
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: ATT

guys - I can answer this as a real life user... I had a 7100g and the innopocket case...

reception IS reduced when in the case. I can put my 7100g in the case and watch the sig meter drop 1 or 2 bars. take it out, and watch it jump up again. every time.

I love themetal cases though, and since I carry my BB in my pocket, I can sacrifice a little signal for the added protection.

Now I just wish Inno would create a 8700 case!!!
Closed Thread