BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 10:38 AM   #1
vinniet
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO
Default Verizon to have Trio with BB support?

Please Login to Remove!

I saw a news post about Trio that was going to come out with BB software on it. I talked to my Verizon rep and he says that the unit is to come out Feb/March timeframe. Not sure how true it is. He also said it will be a Treo 700 something.

Verizon just released the Treo 700w and I thought that was the unit but he said it will be another letter at the end.

Has anyone heard anything else? I have Verizon phone and TMO BB and also Palm Zire 72. I would love to merge all of them together. Yes I know it will not be the perfect device but it will have most of the features of the three devices I carry today.

Vinnie
Old 12-23-2005, 12:42 PM   #2
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

First of all it's a Treo and yes, there is a plan to release BB Connect on Treo's. No exact time frame.
Considering the 700 is a Microsoft OS device it might be stretch to see the BB Connect solution on it. Microsoft is pushing, no pun intended, there "push" email solution on all 5.0 Mobile OS devices. There will be other Palm OS based Treo's next year and I'd be willing to bet BB Connect will be on them.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:21 PM   #3
camartin
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130e

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm
First of all it's a Treo and yes, there is a plan to release BB Connect on Treo's. No exact time frame.
Considering the 700 is a Microsoft OS device it might be stretch to see the BB Connect solution on it. Microsoft is pushing, no pun intended, there "push" email solution on all 5.0 Mobile OS devices. There will be other Palm OS based Treo's next year and I'd be willing to bet BB Connect will be on them.
In addition, Palm/Treo have announced several years in a row that the Treo will have Blackberry connect support. There won't be any credibility to these announcements until delivered.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:46 PM   #4
Eric5273

Model: 7100g
Carrier: Cingular

Until RIM's lawsuit is settled once and for all, there will be NO non-RIM(blackberry) phones sold in the United States with Blackberry Software. So all the rumors are just wishful thinking. I'm sure they planned on releasing the Treo with blackberry software, just as Nokia planned on releasing a number of phones (6820, 6822, 9300) with blackberry software. But all of them are either delayed or released without the blackberry software.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:14 PM   #5
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273
Until RIM's lawsuit is settled once and for all, there will be NO non-RIM(blackberry) phones sold in the United States with Blackberry Software. So all the rumors are just wishful thinking. I'm sure they planned on releasing the Treo with blackberry software, just as Nokia planned on releasing a number of phones (6820, 6822, 9300) with blackberry software. But all of them are either delayed or released without the blackberry software.
Can you substantiate this? If there is no injunction placed against RIM there is nothing to stop them from selling RIM devices or other devices with RIM software.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:02 PM   #6
Eric5273

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm
Can you substantiate this? If there is no injunction placed against RIM there is nothing to stop them from selling RIM devices or other devices with RIM software.
Yes, there is an injunction and has been for over 2 years. Did you ever wonder why all the "World" versions of the Nokia 6822 have the blackberry client, but the "North America" version does not (unless flashed with the software)? Same with the Sony Ericsson P910 -- some of the world versions have it, the NA version does not. The injunction says they cannot sell non-RIM devices in the United States with blackberry software. I'm guessing that NPT attempted to get an injunction against RIM selling any devices with the software in the US, but the courts probably determined that it was vital to RIM's survival to allow them to at least sell their own.

Did you notice that Nokia was advertising the 9300 on Cingular back last Spring during the NBA finals? Now it's December and no 9300 yet. Cingular has been forced to delay this device indefinately due to this injunction. The 9300 that Cingular was going to release was going to have the blackberry software.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:42 AM   #7
vinniet

Does BBConnect mean it will fuction like my BB. What I mean by that is will I will still be able to forward my email and not use BES.

Without that I would not be interested and I should look for a new phone.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:25 AM   #8
BES admin

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T

The Treo with BB connect will be available in early '06

http://www.palm.com/us/enterprise/pr...y_connect.html

Old 12-27-2005, 11:30 AM   #9
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273
Yes, there is an injunction and has been for over 2 years. Did you ever wonder why all the "World" versions of the Nokia 6822 have the blackberry client, but the "North America" version does not (unless flashed with the software)? Same with the Sony Ericsson P910 -- some of the world versions have it, the NA version does not. The injunction says they cannot sell non-RIM devices in the United States with blackberry software. I'm guessing that NPT attempted to get an injunction against RIM selling any devices with the software in the US, but the courts probably determined that it was vital to RIM's survival to allow them to at least sell their own.

Did you notice that Nokia was advertising the 9300 on Cingular back last Spring during the NBA finals? Now it's December and no 9300 yet. Cingular has been forced to delay this device indefinately due to this injunction. The 9300 that Cingular was going to release was going to have the blackberry software.
1) The injunction has not been enforced.
2) I have a legally obtained Nokia 9300 (POS) that I got in October. Works fine with the BB Connect software.
3) NTP and not NPT
Old 12-28-2005, 03:32 PM   #10
vinniet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES admin
The Treo with BB connect will be available in early '06

http://www.palm.com/us/enterprise/pr...y_connect.html

Thanks for the link. I guess I will need BES for it. Shame.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:14 AM   #11
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniet
Verizon just released the Treo 700w and I thought that was the unit but he said it will be another letter at the end.
Are you sure Verizon has officially released the 700w? Is this exclusively for business customers?
Old 12-29-2005, 01:35 AM   #12
Eric5273

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmadrid
Are you sure Verizon has officially released the 700w? Is this exclusively for business customers?
Not yet. I it will be released for both business and regular customers next week.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:53 AM   #13
jimn367
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
I have a legally obtained Nokia 9300 (POS) that I got in October. Works fine with the BB Connect software.
Why do you rate it a POS. Do you have a link to a review anywhere? I kinda thought the device looked interesting.

Also,
does anyone know if BBconnect requires WM5, or will there be a software upgrade available/for sale for the other Windows Mobile/Smartphone devices?
Old 01-06-2006, 10:21 AM   #14
portsider

Model: 7100i

I had heard through some CES chatter that treo700p (p for Palm) will be the next device with BB connect and sprint could get that device. Cingular may get an even thinner device with unlocked gsm. dont know if will be MS or Palm.

Just some hear say so take it for what its worth.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:35 AM   #15
k40jeep
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

alright I am have friends that are insiders in the cell phone industry for more then one company. The treo 700w was released a week and a half ago nation wide to the open public. From what I hear the processor is not up to the duty of running window mobile 5.0. Along with that you have to reset every couple days because it gets too bogged down. Now, the next Treo to be released will be the 700p which will run palm os with bb push. This is the latest. Oh and the treo still wont get my business. They don't have the signal that bb has and well they just suck compared to my beloved bb.
Closed Thread