BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 09:10 PM   #1
DougWare

Model: 7100i
Default 7100i: I feel misled

Please Login to Remove!

Three weeks ago I purchased a 7100i and switched from Sprint to Nextel. I picked the 7100i for the features listed on the Nextel site.

Specifically on the this link. Under Full Feature List is shows that the 7100i supports the following features...both of these are completely false, these are direct quotes.

Bluetooth®-Enabled
Talk hands-free with a wireless earpiece or transmit data wireless from a Bluetooth®-Enabled device (up to 30 feet).

Advanced User Interface
Phone use is quick and easy with one-touch shortcuts to phone features, icon-driven menu and 4-way navigation with OK selection key.

After learning more about my phone and trying to get it to pair with my Palm Lifedrive for about a week of trial and error and finding the user interface a little awkward....I went back to double check the specifications on this phone. I am completely unhappy with Bluetooth Support as well as the interface, since it is not what Nextel advertises. There is NO 4 way navigation with OK selection key. I really miss this feature, I have been a treo user for several years...and this experience is not what I was expecting.

What should I do? Will the bluetooth data access be added in the future? Should I try to get Nextel to trade my 7100i for a phone that does have the features I need? I am 4 days past my 14 day return period.

Doug
Old 12-08-2005, 09:32 PM   #2
amnjc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100

The Nextel Blackberries used to have a 30 day return policy as they are such different creatures as far as phones. You might investigate that to see if you can still return it.

Nextel does not really budge or work with you as far as equipment trades or trying to get another phone. If they do not have the 30 day policy anymore you are likely stuck with the phone.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:52 PM   #3
DougWare

Default No modem drivers also

Just a quick addition, the 7100i software does not include the drivers to setup the phone as a modem....
Old 12-08-2005, 11:16 PM   #4
TennesseeRunner.com

Model: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougWare
Just a quick addition, the 7100i software does not include the drivers to setup the phone as a modem....
do you know where it can be found? (7100i)
Old 12-08-2005, 11:27 PM   #5
DougWare

No, I believe it is supposed to be in the c:\program files\research in motion folder...but there are no drivers there on my install...
Old 12-09-2005, 01:47 AM   #6
Mr Pink57
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted (your electric?: BlackBerry7100i/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.16)

It sure does transmit data, however that is only to sync with Desktop Manager, and ONLY Desktop Manager. Also the only BB's at this time that can be used as a modem are GSM and the 7250 and 7130e on vzw. BT transfer is a breach of security according to RIM so good luck getting that to EVER work. pink
Old 12-09-2005, 03:39 AM   #7
andrebsd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: MetroPCS

My sugjestion is simply that next time, just get opinions from other websites before making a purchase... The carrier websites are going to describe the unit in a way that makes it seem like it's going to do everything and cook bacon for you in the morning. In the real world, you gotta look very carefully at the statements, as they will be just on the edge of whats legal; thats why you won't find specifics. Just general statements that protect their butt and promote the product as much as possible, even if its a bit misleading to most people. - So here's why the statements are theretically correct; i'm not saying that I think they should be worded this way, but rather just why they are protected from any lawsuits and what not.

Bluetooth®-Enabled
Talk hands-free with a wireless earpiece or transmit data wireless from a Bluetooth®-Enabled device (up to 30 feet).

Yes, they do work with earpieces, and they do transmit data (sync) from a bluetooth enabled device; which would be your computer. You'd expect more, but the statement is theretically correct.

Advanced User Interface
Phone use is quick and easy with one-touch shortcuts to phone features, icon-driven menu and 4-way navigation with OK selection key.

They say 4-way navigation, not that it's a 4 way navigation button like you might find on your treo; but it can do 4 way when you hold the ALT key. Again, you might expect a single button that does 4 way or an easyer interface; but the statement is theretically correct.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:34 AM   #8
europamo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

since your past the 14 days, looks like your option is too try and sell to someone, which there seems to be quite a few people on various forums looking to buy a 7100i. Good luck .
Alexandre Dumas
Old 12-09-2005, 07:34 AM   #9
GeneAlexander
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

The i605 and i870 both have the features that you are missing but they are not considered smartphones and will only have minimal software options :(
Old 12-09-2005, 08:31 AM   #10
GMK

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
Wirelessly posted (your electric?: BlackBerry7100i/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.16)

It sure does transmit data, however that is only to sync with Desktop Manager, and ONLY Desktop Manager. Also the only BB's at this time that can be used as a modem are GSM and the 7250 and 7130e on vzw. BT transfer is a breach of security according to RIM so good luck getting that to EVER work. pink
I have a 7105t with T-Mobile and I can hook it it up as a modem to my laptop. It's not T3 speed but it works fine. Used it last nite. I don't know if it was utilizing GSM at the time as I didn't look at the screen but I'll check it.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:32 AM   #11
GMK

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMK
I have a 7105t with T-Mobile and I can hook it it up as a modem to my laptop. It's not T3 speed but it works fine. Used it last nite. I don't know if it was utilizing GSM at the time as I didn't look at the screen but I'll check it.
Sorry, I just noted that you referenced VZW
Old 12-09-2005, 08:32 AM   #12
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

The 7105t is using GPRS to connect. Very slow but it works.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:06 AM   #13
martin_j001

Model: none
Carrier: Nokia e71 on ATT

Blackberry 7100i: $169.99 with a new two year contract.
unlimited Blackberry data plan: $44.99/mo when combined with a voice plan.
Research before a purchase: PRICELESS

Sorry, had to do it. It is unfortunate the amount that people are misled and mis-directed in the cellular business, and its not only Nextel that does it (remember VZW's recent issues). The best suggestion I have for the original poster is exactly what someone else already said, sell the 7100i on the forums or ebay and get the other phone you wanted--Nextel most likely won't do anything to help you, unfortunately. Good luck!
Old 12-10-2005, 11:11 PM   #14
greauxe

Default 7100i Lets you Transfer Phone book to a car phone w/ Bluetooth

I think this is the "data" transfer that they are talking about. I personally think the blackberry is awsome, and I have been a palm user since 1998.

http://greauxpc.org
Old 02-01-2006, 08:15 PM   #15
mdean819

7100i does have bluetooth and and it does transmit, i moved some contacts from my i870, and the 4 button navigation is the 2,4,6,8 keys being up,left,right,and down, and 5 being ok, i think you get more because you do have traditional nextel navigation, plus the simple backbone of the bb ui, the wheel! So i believe you get even a bit more than what is stated, i know they do exaggerate though most of the time, but not here!!
Closed Thread