BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 07:35 PM   #1
kthome
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon
Default VMWare and BES testing with real activation keys.

Please Login to Remove!

Can I setup my BES in a VMWARE testing environment and use the keys that came with the licensing to try it all out WITHOUT leaving myself unable to install using the same keys later? Does it "Dial home" the SIP and CAL autorization keys so that I wont be able to register them when it is time to go live for real?

Would like to do a dry run install a few times and already have my functional SBS Srvr 2K3 up and configured per BES requirements and test users.

THanks a billion as usual! (this forum has become a new home for us newbees i think! hahah!)

Keith
Old 12-02-2005, 04:59 AM   #2
dev
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

You can go ahead and install and do your testing. Yes...BES will authenticate with the SRP host at RIM, that's normal and required for registration and security reasons. And yes you'll be able to use the same "key" later on. However, you can't use the "key" simultaneously. Doing so will result in disconnection at the RIM's network, and you having to make a call for reconnection.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:39 AM   #3
kthome

Default Thanks

Great. Thanks. Exactly information I was looking for. I setup the server and registered the proper cdo.dll on the BES srvr. Getting ready now to move on to the actual BES Software install.

Keith
Old 12-02-2005, 07:53 AM   #4
kthome

Default Wireless activation

Got the server installed and communicating to the srp. If I go ahead and "pair" my device to the BES, will I still be able to use it in the BIS mode? Since this is just a testing scenario, I dont want to lose comms with my BB when the test server is not up and running! I use Verizon, which I believe does not need me to notify of the BIS to BES right now so...

Thanks again.
Keith
Old 12-02-2005, 10:55 AM   #5
JRV
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e

BIS and BES can co-exist.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:05 PM   #6
jmanford
Thumbs Must Hurt

If you call RIM they will give you an SRP identifier, Key, and a 90 day license for testing purposes. That's what I use. You can reinstall it as many times as you want.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:50 AM   #7
kthome

Default Thanks all!

Just a quick note to say thanks to everyone here for their help. I was able to get everything up and running in a simulated vmware environment without a hitch due to all the help and advice that I found in these forums.

Now hopefully it goes as smooth for the production rollout!

Keith
Closed Thread