Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:57 AM   #1
drewdinardo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: tour
Carrier: sprint
Default Calendar & Email Software

Please Login to Remove!

I have returned to blackberry for the first time since my 8700g. I love the blackberry (Sprint Tour) but can't for the life of me figure out why Email and Calendar software is so antiquated. This is suppose to be a business phone that specializes in email and getting email it to do html, etc. requires third party software (or I can't figure out how to do it with the native software) which so far hasn't worked well for me. I feel like I'm working in DOS instead of Windows (to make an analogy). It's making me wonder why I didn't switch to iPhone, Pre or even keep what I had Q9c. Am I the only one?
In either case I tried some calendar software (Pocket Informant which I loved on WM 6) but it will not load correctly.

So to make a long post longer:

Is there software to get a today (home) screen that shows my upcoming calendar events as well as email etc. Not something I have to click, but when I turn on my phone there it is!!!
Also what email and calendar software do you recommend???
Old 07-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewdinardo View Post

So to make a long post longer:

Is there software to get a today (home) screen that shows my upcoming calendar events as well as email etc. Not something I have to click, but when I turn on my phone there it is!!!

Also what email and calendar software do you recommend???
There is a version of PI for the BB. You can also check out PocketDay. But the functionality of what you ask is generally controlled by a theme. Check Media Section and use Google to find ones for your specific device.

There are not many other email and calendar programs available for the BB. And most of us do not consider it antiquated at all.

The 8700 series is an older model without many of the bells and whistles of the newer devices. HTML email is available with OS 4.5 and with the newer BBs.

Perhaps you need to do more homework and research before disparaging the BB as you have. Perhaps you should go to the iPhone or some other such non-BB device. Or upgrade to one of the newer BBs.

Also keep in mind that the T-Mo's US version of #G is on different frequencies than ATT or Rogers, so there is no 3G capable BB on that carrier yet.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!

Last edited by Dubdub; 07-30-2009 at 12:05 PM..
Old 07-30-2009, 11:10 PM   #3
drewdinardo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: tour
Carrier: sprint

I'm sorry. I don't have the 8700g now. That was my first blackberry. I now have the Tour on Sprint....
Old 08-03-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I have a Bold and Tilt (WM running the 6.5ROM). I was this close to trying the iphone but the feeling passed. The negative iphone comments, no multitasking, no user replaceable battery, poor battery life, overheating and no improvement to the phone are important features to me. But the UI is very cool and I still can't pass by the Apple store without dropping in.

My Bold battery life is poor but I have a spare battery I can just pop in and I'm good to go. I find the Bold can do everything I need quickly and easily. Granted, the games and UI for the software might not be as pretty and plentiful. You have to decide what platform is best for you. As the other poster pointed out, you can now receive HTML email, I get it daily. Yea, sending/receiving in HTML would be nice. If I ask the people I work with if they want html email, they wouldn't have a clue as to what I'm talking about.

I've had four or five version of PocketInformant on my WM devices over the years. But I don't have it on my BB. I haven't read good reviews and don't think it adds much. You can try PocketDay, I had used that but don't any longer. Best bet is to try and find a good "Today" or "Today Plus" theme for your phone. There are plenty of free ones, I'm using a commercial theme from gadgetbean.
Closed Thread