Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 11:19 AM   #1
sbkim
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular
Default Motorola Q vs Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

It sounds like the upcoming Motorola Q has push email. Any guesses whether this device will handle Lotus Notes server?

http://www.lordpercy.com/motorola_q.htm
Old 11-09-2005, 12:12 PM   #2
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

It runs on Windows Mobile 5. It will have an upgrade for the Security Feature Pack for WM5. Exchange 2003 SP2 has Push Email functionality for WM5 w/ the Security Feature Pack. I think its fair to say that it will only offer push functionality for those users with Exchange 2003 SP2 running.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:41 PM   #3
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

the device looks sexxy..and i would be tempted to switch..only if rim handled the email..not a big fan of windows or ms.. thats why i use mac
Old 11-09-2005, 02:02 PM   #4
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

If is runs Windows mobile, you could get a mNotes client for it from CommonTime (about $75/user) and replicate Notes data. They have a notification portion that works so-so to get psuedo-push email and pim data. Works well enough. It's no BES server, but if you prefer gadgets, it's a alright compromise. The real downside is running the listening software on things like Treos tend to eat battery life a bit. RIM's solution so far to be the least intrusive and most robust, IMO. But there are other options.

Another option is to turn on the webmail portion of Notes and use the devices own webbrowser. That sort of turns your PDA into a tiny, low res, expensive "internet kiosk", but should work int theory. Until the users complain of all the scrolling they need to do.

I think life would be much simplier with a Lotus Notes client compiled for Palm, Windows Mobile, and Symbian. Then just run it native. This is sort of what mNotes claims to be. But not exactly.

YMMV

Aaron
Old 11-09-2005, 04:01 PM   #5
sbkim
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

thanks for the replies! I would seriously doubt my company would support the windows operating system or run any emulations to support Notes. I just wish RIM would produce something comparable...
Old 11-09-2005, 04:29 PM   #6
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: FFFFFFF
Carrier: AT&T

Motorola Q doesn't live up to the hype. The current keyboard on all models now is TERRIBLE worse than the treo 600 keyboard they are changing hardware soon so maybe the production model will be better. Speed of OS is very very fast, and real stable even for an engineering sample. There is no push email besides activesync and Motorola has not lived up to any promises with BlackBerry besides MPX200 in south africa. Like that helps us here. We will see..device is great as a show piece, aint worth crap as far as i'm concerned.

The Boy Genius Report
Closed Thread