Old 02-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
Doolin21
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t
Default any answer to the os 4.5

Please Login to Remove!

k i know alot of people keep posting that there batteries drain after updating os. this happened to mine too. but people always answer with the same thing to check to see if any apps are running. i always close apps when im done with em. all i want to know is there a true answer to the battery problem because i have upgraded then downgraded then retried it and both times the battery drained what is the problem is it the os itself? cant be tho because there are some people that there batteries doesnt drain quick. is it the phone? idk many people have the problem does this mean most of the blackberry curve phones are faulty?
Old 02-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

I also assume your backlight timeout is at a low number. What apps do you have because certain items run no matter what

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 02-14-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
usblues1965
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
PIN: 30282BE0
Carrier: verizon

Wirelessly posted

There can be a battery life issue on a beta O.S, however once an O.S has been 'officially' released it has been tested and deemed to be stable. An official. OS release that is for your specific device will not have an issue with battery life. Now this is just for the OS alone. On a new OS there may be compatability issues with third party apps. This is where most ppl expirence either poor battery life or a memiry leak. If this happens to you the only thing you can really do is re-load the OS. Then load your third party apps one at a time run that app. Then watch your memory and battery life. If that app doesn't cause a problem then add another . Keep doing that until you find the problem. The advice people are giving you to make sure you 'close' an app and not just hit the escape key to get back to the home screen is also correct. Some apps will not close unless you go to the menu screen and click on close or exit, think of that escape key on the phone like the minimize tab on a windows program. If you click on the minimize tab the program doesn't close it just goes into the tool tray. It is still using system resources. If you think of it like that and use It that way then you souldn't have a problem.

I hope this answers your question.

Last edited by usblues1965; 02-14-2009 at 09:49 PM..
Old 02-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
lovescakemix

Model: 9900
PIN: 2800d27f
Carrier: tmobile

its been discussed many times that beta OS and vendor deployed OS's of the same version number are the same exact thing . they dont contain any fixes between beta stage and when they are release
Old 02-14-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
usblues1965

Model: 8330
PIN: 30282BE0
Carrier: verizon

Wirelessly posted

That's true
Old 02-14-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Everyone's experience is going to vary just purely because everyone uses the phone differently. And if you live in a weak signal area you'll burn up the battery compared to someone with a stronger signal even if usage is exactly the same.

So the only way to know if it's the device or not is to compare a different one for a few days.

All the standard advice out there helps battery life. One thing that made a big difference for me is the "Backlight Brightness" under the Screen/Keyboard. Dropping it down doesn't darken the screen that much, but the battery life can be helped a lot.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolin21 View Post
all i want to know is there a true answer to the battery problem because i have upgraded then downgraded then retried it and both times the battery drained what is the problem is it the os itself? cant be tho because there are some people that there batteries doesnt drain quick. is it the phone? idk many people have the problem does this mean most of the blackberry curve phones are faulty?
1. It's probably not the OS. You ruled that out because you downgraded and continued to experience the battery drain.
2. Forum sites always present a skewed perception of things. Of course it seems like a lot of people have problems. Almost no one goes to the trouble of creating an account to post to say "everything's going great". That's the nature of every discussion site like this.
Closed Thread