Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
lesedwards

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default BB Bold losing data

Please Login to Remove!

I have had a Bold since early November (AT&T). A couple of weeks ago it began losing data. It is an intermittent problem, and as best I can tell it happens after I pull the battery or after the Bold restarts (which it does once or twice per week for no apparent reason).

With MemoPad, I had typed in three new notes over a two day period. I have maybe 20 notes already in there. The Bold reset itself on the third day, and then the three new notes were gone. Old notes were intact.

In Tasks I have maybe 70 tasks, about 20 of which do not have a due date set. The Bold deleted the 20 dates without due dates, but left the other 50 intact.

I have a third party database software called trackIT. I use it to enter lists (client info, movies, restaurants, etc). On three occasions this week I have lost the most recent 2 or 3 records whenever there is a reset or I pull the battery. The most recent event was intentional, i.e. I entered a record into trackIT, pulled the battery, then looked and the most recent record was gone.

I can't find anything in the forums about this problem, although I have seen some references to low memory situations causing loss of data. The memory stats on my Bold are:
File Free: 27381985 Bytes
Application Memory Free Space: 26.1MB
Device Memory Total Space: 859.2MB
Device Memory Free Space: 848.5MB
There is no memory card installed.
I don't quite understand what all these stats mean, but I gather from the forums I have enough memory.

Any help on resolving this would be most appreciated. I'm new to BB, have used Palm Treos and Handsprings for ten years. Missing data is a great concern to me.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
TotalTech
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: 304D3782
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (VZW Storm, ATT Bold)

On average how many emails and txts do you get a day/week
With that do you have it download all of your messages or just 50k of them?

I have had issues with my BB's when I get hammered with messages. On reboot I would lose messages and unsaved data
Old 01-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
lesedwards

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalTech View Post
Wirelessly posted (VZW Storm, ATT Bold)

On average how many emails and txts do you get a day/week
With that do you have it download all of your messages or just 50k of them?

I have had issues with my BB's when I get hammered with messages. On reboot I would lose messages and unsaved data
50-100 emails and 10-15 texts per day. I've never changed the default on message sizes (don't know how), and because large emails only partially download it must be 50k. It makes me nervous that BB can just delete data. I use my BB to record important stuff during the business day (tasks, calendar, etc) and I need to be able to trust the device not to delete my data. I never imagined that BB would be susceptible to this type of problem. Quite frankly, it's unacceptable for a device that costs this much. I never had a problem with my Treos doing this.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
palomartian

Model: 9800
PIN: ched off BBM, gained 3MB
Carrier: att

When I bought mine the sales girl (a hottie named Heather) told me that without a micro SD installed the Blackberries start losing data randomly. Whether that is true or she was just trying to sell me a card is for someone with more experience to answer. She laughed at my jokes so I gave her the benefit of the doubt and put one in as soon as I got it home.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #5
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

A memory card is a must to store pictures, movies/videos, ringtones, and music. Apps and their data bases go automatically into the device's internal memory.

I never had this problem with my Treos either. They would just freeze and I wouldn't know it until I got back to the office and 20 people stormed me saying, "Where the hell have you been?!..." This is the first I've heard of a memory leak in the Bold. What OS version are you running?
Old 01-26-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
estabulla

Model: 9700

If your application memory gets full for whatever reason you can run into this problem. Also look at your memory cleaning app and check if it is cleaning any of the files.
Closed Thread