Old 01-23-2009, 07:35 AM   #1
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High
Carrier: Verizon
Default FDA approves human embryonic stem cell study

Please Login to Remove!

This didn't take long. Although these stem cells were approved for study by the last administration. President Obama has said that he will loosen restrictions on stem cell research. Here's what the researcher said of Bush's policies:

"People didn't think this would happen for another five years," Okarma said. "But it will happen soon, and it would have happened sooner if it weren't for the ridiculous Bush policies."

Science marches onward.

Comments?

FDA approves human embryonic stem cell study - CNN.com

Last edited by mriff; 01-23-2009 at 07:39 AM..
Old 01-23-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

bringing science back.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:43 AM   #3
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

to much like playing God to me.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

It's about time that they relaxed those regulations. I know of several research areas that have been significantly slowed because of the ridiculous anti-science policies of the Bush administration.

Curiously, however, I doubt that W was personally as anti-science as he allowed the policies to be. I suspect that it was a cynical catering to the religious neo-con movement and an attempt to shore up his base.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
I suspect that it was a cynical catering to the religious neo-con movement and an attempt to shore up his base.
I believe it was his own personal belief. Though, I suppose I am not as cynical as you.

Were he only pandering to the right, there would have been many many other opportunities he missed and flat out rejected to do the same. Just because so many of the wacky left-wing agenda don't understand being guided by personal beliefs, doesn't mean others cannot be.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
I believe it was his own personal belief. Though, I suppose I am not as cynical as you.

Were he only pandering to the right, there would have been many many other opportunities he missed and flat out rejected to do the same. Just because so many of the wacky left-wing agenda don't understand being guided by personal beliefs, doesn't mean others cannot be.
Great point.. I also think it was his personal beliefs. I applaud him for sticking to his guns.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
test54
BlackBerry Master

I think it was both personal beliefs and catering to religious right. Same as he banned foreign aid to any organization that was pro-abortion and banned foreign aid to organizations that promoted sex education with contraceptives. Also, he upped foreign aid for abstinence only groups by $27 million.

I'm personally happy to see the religious influence out of the white house and thats what I think the stem cell & birth control issues were.

Obama so far has catered to the right in many of his picks for staff and has followed through on promises he made to his voters during the election. His decisions are going to lean left as he is indeed not a conservative, people should be prepared for that after 2+ years of hearing him speak.

Last edited by test54; 01-23-2009 at 10:26 AM..
Old 01-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #8
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
I believe it was his own personal belief.
Fair enough; I certainly do not know as I've never discussed it with him.

And as for my cynicism, I do happen to believe the old saying regarding any politician, regardless of political party: "It's easy to tell when they're lieing. Their mouths are open."

Last edited by djm2; 01-23-2009 at 10:46 AM..
Old 01-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
I'm personally happy to see the religious influence out of the white house and thats what I think the stem cell & birth control issues were.
heheheh, I don't think even Obama would agree with you on that.

What you mean IS that you are happy to see any "Christian" influence out of the White House.

I truly do believe there is a great "religious influence" in the White House today. It is just a different influence.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #10
test54
BlackBerry Master

I agree he is a believer and that is well known but I think its how it affects policy perhaps. Morals can and usually are based on religion and I have no issue with that. Its where you skip over things to follow your religious views, see examples above.

the prime example is that he is personally against abortion on moral and religious grounds but has no goal or mission to make that law.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #11
dmead
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: EVO
PIN: the tail on the donkey!
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
heheheh, I don't think even Obama would agree with you on that.

What you mean IS that you are happy to see any "Christian" influence out of the White House.

I truly do believe there is a great "religious influence" in the White House today. It is just a different influence.
can you be more specific about which religion you are referring too? Because I'm pretty sure our president is a christian.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:50 AM   #12
audit
Whoever

Model: xxxx
Carrier: AT&T

I'm trying to bite my lip before I type in this thread because stem cell study is important to me for reasons that many will never know or understand. In simple terms, just I support stem cell research and I hope very good things can come from it. I feel it can help a lot of people.

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Old 01-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #13
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit View Post
I support stem cell research and I hope very good things can come from it. I feel it can help a lot of people.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #14
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
In simple terms, just I support stem cell research and I hope very good things can come from it. I feel it can help a lot of people.
the best reason for anything.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #15
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
I support stem cell research and I hope very good things can come from it. I feel it can help a lot of people.
Agreed.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #16
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High

Quote:
I'm trying to bite my lip before I type in this thread because stem cell study is important to me for reasons that many will never know or understand. In simple terms, just I support stem cell research and I hope very good things can come from it. I feel it can help a lot of people.
Truly!
Old 01-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #17
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Audit I will say this if it helps you then fine. I am happy for you. But I am against it personally not against the people who would benefit from it. IF it helps.

I do not think the man in office is a Christian I think he is saying that just to rid himself of his past Muslim ways. Because he knew no one would ever vote for a Muslim.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:21 PM   #18
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
Its where you skip over things to follow your religious views, see examples above.

the prime example is that he is personally against abortion on moral and religious grounds but has no goal or mission to make that law.
Hey, if the President can set aside his beliefs, morals and convictions to act in an adverse manner, he will have a quite the conflict in his decision making ability.

I personally don't think Obama has tossed aside his religious beliefs for the time he is in the White House. You're saying he can do that? He said he can do that?

Everyone--most leaders [should] have a set of values, beliefs or a moral baseline upon which they will draw from. His religious beliefs are obviously different than that of his stated religion if he can pick and choose when and where they come into play.

That's gonna make it pretty scary then if he can "change" his values system on a whim for the occasion of this presidency and for the term he is elected. So, religion is out of the White House, as you say. For now, Obama is setting religion out on the sidewalk?

So the nation elected a man who says he "A", but says he will act as "B" during his presidency. Hmmmm... I bet you have no idea what you mean when you say religion is out of the White House. Did you hear him say that or is that just your hope?
Old 01-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #19
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmead View Post
can you be more specific about which religion you are referring too? Because I'm pretty sure our president is a christian.
Please refer to test's comments. I don't know, never asked or researched what Obama's beliefs were, are, will be, yesterday, today, or tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #20
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Hey, if the President can set aside his beliefs, morals and convictions to act in an adverse manner, he will have a quite the conflict in his decision making ability.

I personally don't think Obama has tossed aside his religious beliefs for the time he is in the White House. You're saying he can do that? He said he can do that?

Everyone--most leaders [should] have a set of values, beliefs or a moral baseline upon which they will draw from. His religious beliefs are obviously different than that of his stated religion if he can pick and choose when and where they come into play.
No, I did not hear or mean that Religion is out of the White House. What I meant was that law & policy are not set by scripture.
What I mean is that of course everyone's upbringing & religion affect their morals and their goals in life. That is 100% good and still true even if they have no religion. Those morals and life goals should affect daily life and how you govern, however when you let your beliefs come into setting policy & governing people's individual liberties then I think its gone too far. This is of course a slippery slope because morals & religious beliefs are mainly tied together in daily life. But as those couple of ideas like stem cell & abstinence education are situations where Bush allowed policy to be set by his religious beliefs (or his base's beliefs).