Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
skudera

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default BB Bold & Outlook sync issue

Please Login to Remove!

I just started a new job and was given a BB bold to use. I've had a BB before so I was familiar with most of the settings. I want to use outlook as my primary e-mail program on my laptop (we use yahoo business email)... but whenever I have outlook open, it deletes all my emails on my blackberry + any incoming ones are automatically deleted on the phone. The emails, however, are staying in outlook.

Here are my settings in my email for my blackberry:

General options:
Hide files - no
Hide sent - yes
SMS/Email inboxes - theme controlled
Confirm delete - yes
Confirm Mark Prior Opened - yes
Keep messages - 30 days

Email reconciliation:

Delete on - prompt
Wireless reconcile - on
On conflicts - mailbox wins

I just got a new laptop so I haven't configured outlook yet. Is there a special way to configure it so this doesn't happen? When I have my yahoo business email open, I don't have this problem.

Thoughts?
Old 01-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

BIS or BES?
And there is an option in outlook something along the lines of "leave messages on server".

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 01-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
skudera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
BIS or BES?
And there is an option in outlook something along the lines of "leave messages on server".
BIS - I didn't think I need BES since it's going through Yahoo.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Yup.
Then outlook needs to be configured to keep the messages on your server (i.e.yahoo), so that they will get to your phone.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 01-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
skudera

When I'm in the office, I'll check all my e-mail on the computer. I like being able to delete messages in my mail client and it automatically deletes it from my blackberry. Is this not going to work anymore since I selected keep messages on the server?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

There may be an option to "delete from server when deleted from deleted folder" or something like that.
They will then be deleted from the server when you delete them

Old 01-26-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
skudera

Okay, so I figured out the initial problem - I didn't have the box checked to keep files on server. However, I'm running into a new problem.

When I have outlook open and receive a message, it goes to my phone but comes up as read - even when I haven't read it on outlook.

Anyone else run into this problem?
Old 01-27-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
skudera

bump?
Old 01-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
JG in SB
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Your problem is a limitation of POP3 E-mail. If you want all of read/unread E-mails to stay in sync among multiple devices, you need to be set up with MS Exchange/BES.

The problem with POP3 is that once you get a message off the server, like into your MS Outlook client, the server no longer knows what you have done with it. If you are electing to leave copies on the server, then when you delete something in Outlook, you have to remember to go back and delete the duplicate on the server. When you read it in Outlook, the server doesn't know that you read it etc.

MS Exchange/BES just keeps everything in one place, on a single server, and all your various clients sync to that. MS Outlook on your computer still looks and acts the same, but if you read a message on your computer, when you then see the same message on your BlackBerry, it will also show up as read. Same thing going the other way, read it on the BB, and when you get back to your office, it will be there, but will show that you already read it. Delete it from Outlook...it gets deleted off the BlackBerry and vice versa.

There are a bunch of companies that provide hosted MS Exchange service and BES service for pretty reasonable prices. You don't have to invest in a $15,000 Exchange server setup and $3k BES.

I use hosted MS Exchange and I keep my desktop, two laptops, and my BlackBerry all in perfect sync with eachother without having to do anything.

Last edited by JG in SB; 01-27-2009 at 08:03 PM..
Old 02-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #10
skudera

Everyone else in my office has a blackberry & outlook... but I'm the only one with the outlook problem. I don't think it has anything to do with the POP3.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #11
mudwookie
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: AT&T

skudera - have you found any solution for your issue? I have the same issue as you. I too have others in the office with BB's and they work just fine. Outlook showing "read" when BB recieves email. It is driving me crazy.

Thanks
Closed Thread