Old 12-28-2008, 12:00 AM   #1
tjlamro
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 3GS
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Quick Blackberry Question!

Please Login to Remove!

I am considering purchasing a Blackberry 8330 for US Cellular. I just had a quick question about the item. Can you take a picture of someone and add it to their name on your contact list? For example when they call does that picture you took pop up and say they are calling? Also if it does, how big is the picture and how does it look? I know this is just a minor detail but I thought I would ask anyways. The more details the better! Thanks!
Old 12-28-2008, 12:03 AM   #2
stapes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telus

yes you can take a picture and use it as part of the ringer. when you go to add the picture to the contact it lets you crop the image so its just the person head that you want. and when they call it usually takes about half the screen
Old 12-28-2008, 12:10 AM   #3
tjlamro
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapes View Post
yes you can take a picture and use it as part of the ringer. when you go to add the picture to the contact it lets you crop the image so its just the person head that you want. and when they call it usually takes about half the screen
ok cool... just wanted to make sure it wasnt some small dinky picture
Old 12-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #4
wjereb
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T - BES

If you are using OS 4.5, the picture (albeit somewhat small) will also appear at the top of any emails that person sends to you.

BJ
Old 12-28-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
tjlamro
Thumbs Must Hurt

How bout when your looking at your contacts to call someone? Is there a little picture near their name in the Contacts?
Old 12-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
vliou
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 9700
Carrier: Telus

Yes, in OS 4.5, you can add a picture to the contacts. You will have to open up each individual contact to see the picture, but yes, it's possible...
Old 12-29-2008, 02:16 AM   #7
tjlamro
Thumbs Must Hurt

Oh okay. I wasnt sure if you could just see the little picture while you were scrolling through all your contacts. Guess not.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:41 PM   #8
tjlamro
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapes View Post
just got it and tried it out. is there anyway you can make the picture larger or more of it show up when they call? it doesnt really take up half the screen. most of the screen is the text saying who is calling and then the picture is somewhat small. just wondering if it was possible to make it bigger.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:46 PM   #9
tjlamro
Thumbs Must Hurt

also the pictures after i crop them become really blurry. any idea why?
Old 12-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #10
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

You may be zoomed in too far when you crop... you will need to install a 3rd party application to make the picture bigger when they call you. I don't recall the name of any however, but they're out there.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:21 PM   #11
tjlamro
Thumbs Must Hurt

Installing a 3rd party application? I have no idea where to start with that. Can you lead me in the right direction? Also is it extremely complicated?
Old 12-29-2008, 10:53 PM   #12
tjlamro
Thumbs Must Hurt

Can anyone give me more details? Its not a major issue if I cant get the pictures to be larger and clearer but I would definitely like to try it if its possible.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:05 PM   #13
d_fauber

Model: 8130
Carrier: String and two cups

Wirelessly posted

Just google blackberry apps photo apps specifically, they are out there, you can download them straight to the device (OTA)
Old 12-29-2008, 11:06 PM   #14
tjlamro
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ill try that. I just wouldnt know which one to download cause what I want is pretty specific. Not sure they have a specific app for that.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:43 PM   #15
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Are you using photos that you took on the device? You might try changing the settings on the camera to the lowest resolution. That will make a smaller picture that will look better after it's cropped and downsized.

If you have pictures on your PC you want to use for contacts, you can email them to yourself until you get Desktop Manager installed. The quality of the picture is going to depend on the size of the photo before you crop it, how much you enlarge or shrink it, etc.

I don't think you need a 3rd party app for this but it would help to be able to resize and crop the pics on your pc before putting them on your device. At least that's been my experience with creating photo IDs for contacts.

Last edited by daphne; 12-29-2008 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: add
Old 12-30-2008, 02:15 AM   #16
tjlamro
Thumbs Must Hurt

yeah i plan on taking them from my computer and sending them to my phone. in your experience is there a specific size as far as height and width in pixels that you use?
Old 12-30-2008, 02:37 AM   #17
daphne

The screen size/resolution for the 8330 is 320 x 240 px. Just looking at my photos I cropped to use for contacts, most are around 100 x 100 or slightly larger. If they are too large you will be prompted to crop them when you assign them to a contact.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:17 AM   #18
tjlamro
Thumbs Must Hurt

thats what confuses me. if i download a picture or send it to my phone thats too big it obviously has me crop it to the size that it wants. i figured once it cropped to the size that fits the blackberry the best it would not lower the resolution of it at all. its cropped it to the exact size... why would it need to lower anything else.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:30 PM   #19
daphne

This might help.

Display resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The display resolution of a digital television or computer display typically refers to the number of distinct pixels in each dimension that can be displayed.
In this case, resolution and size are the same. 100 x 100 refers to size -- the number of pixels in the image.
Closed Thread