Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 09:20 PM   #1
sherifmoris

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Mobinil
Default This is my disappointing email to RIM

Please Login to Remove!

I know you may differ with me with what i have sent to RIM but this is my experince with the BB Bold and i just wanted to share it with all of you:

The EMAIL:

Dear All,

I have just moved from Windows Mobile phone to Blackberry Bold and I was really disappointed due to the lack of the following BASIC features in any mobile (Some of them are available with fees at 3rd party applications)

1. Why should I have all my email messages (BES and personal ) in one folder, I receive a lot of both daily and it is really confusing, the way to separate them by filters or by view folder is hectic, I see that an option to either combine or separate is very basic but extremely useful.

2. How a phone like bold with a relatively high price would have only one clock alarm, I need to have at least 5 alarms on the clock (worth to mention that any cheap nokia phone has unlimited no. of alarms)

3. How in 2008 I can not send a contact details by SMS ( Vcards ) and when I receive one, I must save it manually, there is no option to save the whole card to contacts.

4. When I receive a meeting request, I can not know whether my name is in the required or optional field, as may be this meeting is just for my info.

5. When I receive emails or meeting requests with long list of emails, I can see some of them and the rest are truncated, why ??? As a manager, I need always to know if this email was sent to all my team or just for some of them.

6. Why I shouldn’t be able to set the working days on my bold, I only have the option to set the 1st day of the week, what if I am working for 6 days a week not 5 days.

7. Why I can not define the amount of email to be retrieved from my inbox, such as get me emails from inbox and sent items from the last 1 or 3 months or all the emails I ever got.

8. Why I can not adjust when to receive emails during the day (such as from 9 to 5 daily ) and I don’t want to receive emails the rest of the day.

9. Why the battery is only 1500 mamp in a phone full of features that eats the battery ( enough mentioning the 3G ) and it is supposed to be my office on the go and never let me down by having empty battery

Last but not least, I am sure that you know that all points to no. 8 are FREELY available in and Windows Mobile phone and also in Nokia E series phones, taking into consideration that Push Mail is not Blackberry edge over all others any more as the Push Email in Windows Mobiles is great also.

I paid 800 $ in the bold and need at least another 100 to buy 3rd party applications to cover some of the basics you have in BB Operating Systems while I can get all these features for free and with half the bold price, so if you are a customer, what should you choose.

Thanks

Sherif Moris
Old 12-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

I will comment on a few things. It seems to be a lot more of you set in your ways versus any technology deficiency.

#1 I like the simple separate email. Personal choice.

#2 More alarms would be nice. I use calendar entries with reminders.

#3 vCards via SMS is not available in WM it is in MMS just like on a BlackBerry. You can also send via email, pin and BlackBerry Messenger.

#8 The BlackBerry was designed to be an always on always connected instant device. You can't stop them from coming in but you can set a profile to ignore them when you done want to deal with them.

If you paid $800 for a Bold you got ripped off. You can buy them outright for $549 no contract and unlocking is less than $20.

Sorry to see you didn't like it and I hope the Nokia or WM device suits your needs.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
sherifmoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyDBrown View Post
I will comment on a few things. It seems to be a lot more of you set in your ways versus any technology deficiency.

#1 I like the simple separate email. Personal choice.

#2 More alarms would be nice. I use calendar entries with reminders.

#3 vCards via SMS is not available in WM it is in MMS just like on a BlackBerry. You can also send via email, pin and BlackBerry Messenger.

#8 The BlackBerry was designed to be an always on always connected instant device. You can't stop them from coming in but you can set a profile to ignore them when you done want to deal with them.

If you paid $800 for a Bold you got ripped off. You can buy them outright for $549 no contract and unlocking is less than $20.

Sorry to see you didn't like it and I hope the Nokia or WM device suits your needs.
Thanks for your reply, I agree with you in no. 2 and 8, may be I didnt notice how to find a work around for them, but for no. 1 as you said, it should be a personal choice which RIM didnt give a room for it, and for the Vcards, it is working in WM via SMS, i used it many time, its available in WM 6.

Thanks
Old 12-16-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
sherifmoris

In order not to be baised, I really found many nice and amazing features in the bold, yet I sent this email to RIM as they may consider those features in future OS upgrades, once they do, the bold will be frankly the best phone I had ever used.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Hi Sherif, I know the vCard issue is probably not a deal breaker. I did just check the developer forum at Microsoft and also the forums at HTC and they all state MMS is used. An SMS message does not allow for attachments. Just an FYI.

Also if you plan on keeping the Bold maybe we can address these issues for you and help find a solution, especially with 3rd party apps. There is a lot of free ones out there.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherifmoris View Post
In order not to be baised, I really found many nice and amazing features in the bold, yet I sent this email to RIM as they may consider those features in future OS upgrades, once they do, the bold will be frankly the best phone I had ever used.
I think many of your points are right on.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
sherifmoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyDBrown View Post
I think many of your points are right on.

Thanks so much for your help. As i decided to keep it, I will sure seek your assistance in knowing what applications should i use once i know exactly my requirments, once again I didnt mean to offend or criticize the bold, this was my just wish list to RIM.

I am now a BB adict
Old 12-16-2008, 11:44 PM   #8
Interpol

Carrier: AT&T

If your Windows Mobile phone had all the features you needed, why in the world did you switch over to a Blackberry device? Perhaps you should have done more research and found out what the Blackberry can and can't do before shelling out $800 and becoming disappointed?

Troll.

Last edited by Interpol; 12-16-2008 at 11:45 PM..
Old 12-17-2008, 01:02 AM   #9
matrixixix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

LOL. IF... IF youre email gets read. Here's what will happen. They laugh. Its obvious you dont know how to use a Blackberry.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:14 AM   #10
mmuras
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T - USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixixix View Post
LOL. IF... IF youre email gets read. Here's what will happen. They laugh. Its obvious you dont know how to use a Blackberry.
While I am not nearly this negative...as I am new to this site myself...

(But not that new to BlackBerry use)

I think this link will really clearly answer at least one of the questions:

What is Short Message Service? - a definition from Whatis.com - see also: SMS

--Past BBs: BB Curve (8320), BB Curve (8330), BB Tour (9630)
--Currently: AT&T - BB Bold (9000), VZW - BB Bold (9650)
Old 12-17-2008, 02:18 AM   #11
BBFanboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherifmoris View Post
I have just moved from Windows Mobile phone to Blackberry Bold and I was really disappointed due to the lack of the following BASIC features in any mobile (Some of them are available with fees at 3rd party applications)

Thank's for your input Sherif, I understand that you probably did not mean to sound offensive in your note, and I think some of us understood that right away. There may be a bit of a culture difference - not from where you came from but culture as in what type of phone you used until now... sure phone users are cultures too... just look at iPhone users...

1. Why should I have all my email messages (BES and personal ) in one folder, I receive a lot of both daily and it is really confusing, the way to separate them by filters or by view folder is hectic, I see that an option to either combine or separate is very basic but extremely useful.

Some people prefer this - to be fair - they should offer a choice but they are really only going after the business user. Most business users have one email address and even that is too many for some.

2. How a phone like bold with a relatively high price would have only one clock alarm, I need to have at least 5 alarms on the clock (worth to mention that any cheap nokia phone has unlimited no. of alarms)

I found you can set alarms in the calendar. Try it - It works well. It's just a different way of doing it.

5. When I receive emails or meeting requests with long list of emails, I can see some of them and the rest are truncated, why ??? As a manager, I need always to know if this email was sent to all my team or just for some of them.

What you say is correct, this is a deficiency, but most people will probably never see it.

6. Why I shouldn’t be able to set the working days on my bold, I only have the option to set the 1st day of the week, what if I am working for 6 days a week not 5 days.

Again, this was meant to work for the majority of users. And I enter appointments on my Bold for Saturdays and Sundays all the time. The working days don't stop me from working...

7. Why I can not define the amount of email to be retrieved from my inbox, such as get me emails from inbox and sent items from the last 1 or 3 months or all the emails I ever got.

Again, it's one of those cultural things... The Blackberry is more of a window into your email, not so much a email client replacement, but a way to get by really quickly and conveniently while away from your email client.

8. Why I can not adjust when to receive emails during the day (such as from 9 to 5 daily ) and I don’t want to receive emails the rest of the day.

You have the option of setting a time for your blackberry to turn itself off and back on at a time of your choosing every day. It does not recieve emails when off. Most people I know never turn it off, as that defeats the purpose. As someone has said - profiles can be created that would effectively not show you any notices that new emails have come in - then you can look at them the next day.

9. Why the battery is only 1500 mamp in a phone full of features that eats the battery ( enough mentioning the 3G ) and it is supposed to be my office on the go and never let me down by having empty battery

Just like anything, battery is a trade off - certainly for me I get at least more than 24 hours on a single charge when I do a lot of talking and emails, and more than two full days when I do more moderate.

Last but not least, I am sure that you know that all points to no. 8 are FREELY available in and Windows Mobile phone and also in Nokia E series phones, taking into consideration that Push Mail is not Blackberry edge over all others any more as the Push Email in Windows Mobiles is great also.

I think the push email on Blackberry works better than the others, and definitely is an edge.
There you go - my answers (in red) to some of your questions.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:33 AM   #12
sherifmoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFanboy View Post
There you go - my answers (in red) to some of your questions.

Thanks for your reply, that was really helful
Old 12-17-2008, 08:21 AM   #13
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Check out third party applications:

1. GetEmpower.com, I remember them advertising a program that has a separate BES mail folder. BB will already separate your BIS email into mailboxes by accounts. I never used it.

2. BBSmartAlarms has the ability to set multiple alarms. I never used it.

3. RexConnect allows sending vcards by sms. (and I thought who would ever need that). I use this all the time, great program.

4. No idea about the meeting request. I'd like that one too, and categories.

5. You might want to try something like empower mail viewer.

6. I'm not sure what the issue is. I work seven days a week and set appointments without problems.

7. As pointed out above, it isn't an email client, it is meant to be used to get email on the road. I have all my email all the time.

8. This device is sold to businesses, or that was the original model. One of the selling points is that it increases productivity. There are plenty of studies out there, and I think RIM sells it as something that adds 7 hours to a work week. Why, becuase you can't turn off email and we have a sick compulsion to "answer the bell".

9. All 3G devices have the same problem. My Bold isn't good, my Tilt is worse.

I'll use any device. I like the BB but I'd switch in a second, I have no brand loyalty. WM devices, and I'm sure the iPhone and Android have their strengths and weaknesses. For me, the Bold is the best compromise right now. I have a Tilt too and keep looking at both but using the BB as my day to day device. If WM is better suited for your needs, that's what you should be using.

Regards-Michael G.
Closed Thread