BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:01 PM   #1
madmaxq

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Gen I Storm vs. Gen I iPhone (Reality Check)

Please Login to Remove!

Which phone is/was better when it launched? Categories to consider - value, features, applications?

There seems to be both disappointment and praise in the Storm from users and reviewers. I thought I'd put this question out there to folks who may have stood in those long lines for an iPhone in summer of 2007. I was one of those folks because my wife wanted one (I ended up getting one as well).

Here are some observations:

Storm
Voice Notes - YES
Voice Dialing - YES
Video Camera - YES
Camera - YES (3.2)
MMS - YES
Network - 384kb +

1st Gen iPhone
Voice Notes - NO
Voice Dialing - NO
Video Camera - NO
Camera - YES (2.0)
MMS - NO
Network -128kb (Max)

There were very few applications for the iPhone originally. It took the hacker community weeks to develop applications for the iPhone and to distribute them to the user community. When the applications did become available, early adopters had to "jailbreak" their phones to even have simple applications like voice notes. Interestingly enough, it took Apple almost a year before they officially opened up an app store and the applications/hacks were originally shunned by Apple (AT&T). It's now funny to see some of the apps in their commercials that were developed by the hacker community (Erica Sadun, etc.).

I just thought I'd put this question out there, but I'd be interested in seeing others' opinions on this.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
Backnblack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon

Great Post...
Old 12-15-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
Horizon Wireless
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 9920
PIN: 3218B513
Carrier: ROGERS AND FIDO

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 11000 Colosol)

Great thread but bias at the same time. You dot mention that the iphone is also apples first stab at a cell phone period, where as RIM are pros and have been at it for years. But u do make many good points though
Old 12-15-2008, 11:34 PM   #4
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????

I think there will be issues with any new device. I just hope that RIM and their partners are anxious to continue to evolve this product via software updates.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:01 AM   #5
dakis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Orange CH

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxq View Post
Which phone is/was better when it launched? Categories to consider - value, features, applications?
1st of all - this isn't a reality check, it's iPhone bashing. You're basically only comparing those features that you know the iPhone lacks and the Storm doesn't. Any why is it you compare the Storm, which was released AFTER the iPhone 3G, to the 1st gen iPhone? And then you complain about lower data speeds in the iPhone 3G?

Let's do some more reality checking here and compare the Storm to Nokia's first gen communicator, that was released about 8 years ago:

Storm:
HTML Browser: yes
Colo(u)r screen: yes (back then you probably still spelled that with a "u")
Browsing-Speed: relatively fast, but not insanely fast
Weight: 150g
Infrared port: nope
QWERTY-keyboard: nope
External numeric keyboard: nope
Number of screens: only one
Antenna that can be extended: nooooo

Nokia Communicator (aka: the brick):
HTML Browser: WTF is HTML? It doesn't even do WAP.
Colour screen: not yet
Browsing-speed: browsing??? 9.6kbit/s should be enough for everyone
Weight: 1kg (almost)
Infrared port: YES!!!!
QWERTY-keyboard: sure as heck
External numeric keyboard: absolutey. the nokia rules
Number of screens: a whopping TWO, in your FACE Storm
Antenna that can be extended: you betcha. Makes the brick the geekiest phone on the planet.

to keep it real, I included some of the very few points the Storm was better at.
you seen where I'm going. Compare apples to apples please and if you title your post "reality" check: stay real.

I'm not an iPhone fan, btw. - I prefer the Touch HD and my Bold.

Peter

Last edited by dakis; 12-16-2008 at 12:06 AM..
Old 12-16-2008, 12:11 AM   #6
bbaler4444
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
PIN: 30B6A0A6
Carrier: verizon

No matter what generation you compare, the feature that will always put BB over the storm is the fact that you can run Apps in the background.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:07 AM   #7
fairbornstorm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
Carrier: verizon

storm QWERTY-keyboard: nope

what the hell are u talking about
Old 12-16-2008, 06:36 AM   #8
acole10000
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW

Dakis...You are babbling.....
Old 12-16-2008, 08:59 AM   #9
Blackberryer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon Wireless View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 11000 Colosol)

Great thread but bias at the same time. You dot mention that the iphone is also apples first stab at a cell phone period, where as RIM are pros and have been at it for years. But u do make many good points though
This is RIM's first touch screen device, which is a wholly different animal than a traditional keyboard. If Apple had released a traditional physical QWERTY smartphone, I'd agree with you that the comparison isn't fair. But as it stands, these are very much two first gen devices and I agree with the poster that the Storm is a much better device out of the gate. I owned an iPHone and liked it, but I kept wishing it had the functionality of a BlackBerry. Now I have something even better than I could have hoped for while people who still use the Apple device keep grousing about things like MMS and video recording with each new firmware update.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #10
pdutta2000
Thumbs Must Hurt

I think this is a fair comparison because they are both first gen devices. Let's give RIM 1 year to make software updates and changes to the Storm before comparing it to the iPhone 3G. Remember the difference between SureType in the 7130c and SureType2 in the 8100 Pearl. It was monumental. Rim re-wrote the whole damn program. I can't wait to see what they have in store for the Storm. ClickType 2 is gonna rock!! Can you imagine the games that can be written using the accelerometer AND ClickType!! There's so much untapped potential and frankly they should flat out copy things that are done on the iPhone. Apps Store, WiFi, Browser, etc. The only item that can't be fixed via firmware is WiFi. I'd love to see something like T-Mobile at home where WiFi is used instead of minutes so I could get rid of the land line. All other complaints, however, are software enhancements. That's pretty damn good for a first gen device.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #11
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

I think RIM is definitely moving in the right direction. It is exciting to wait and see what happens. I think RIM will soon have an even more incredible device through updates.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:14 PM   #12
searly
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Mine...

The similarities start and stop with the "Touch Screen" for both the iPhone and Storm. They can not be compared after that (ok, maybe they both are phones as well). I've owned both. Both are great devices (the Storm needs to catch up a bit, but it is as formidable now as the iPhone was at the same time table as it's launch). I am close friends with iPhone fan boys and Blackberry fan boys (I may be a BB fan boy) and there will never be a way to convince either one that their device is inferior to the other. And to be quite honest, I do not think one device is better than the other. I have my reasons for not staying with the iPhone, but they are exactly that... MY REASONS! The device did not do some things that I needed it to do. The Storm does not do things that others need it to do.

I do get upset when I sit and think about the evolution of both the iPhone and the Blackberry. I think that us blackberry lovers need to thank Apple for pushing the envelope a bit. And I am not just talking about the Storm and touch screen stuff. We never saw new devices and software development like this from RIM ever. quite frankly, it p**ses me off that it took other companies to get them off the couch to get back into the game. It almost seems as if RIM was fat and happy with the older devices and the antiquated BIS service until Apple smacked them in the head on the way by! I agree with a post above about the fact that the iPhone was the first attempt by Apple to even play in this arena and they stepped up like never before. They have completely set the bar for the future.

With all that said, I want to thank Apple for wakening the sleeping giant! RIM is, and will continue to respond, and nobody is going to benefit more than us, the Blackberry lovers! I do like and appreciate the iPhone, but am not interested in owning or using one. Been with Blackberry for years and as far as I can see, I will be staying with them for many more.

Wow, that was my biggest rant ever... I need a life!
Old 12-16-2008, 01:43 PM   #13
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

I love the term "wakening the sleeping giant!" ... I think you are very right, and I could not agree with you more. Very well said.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #14
Vertioch
Thumbs Must Hurt

For many reasons.... The storm will never equal the iPhone. It has advantages and its disadvantages, but I don't think RIM is going to do the "Application" Store in the same manner as the iPhone.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:40 PM   #15
madmaxq

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakis View Post
1st of all - this isn't a reality check, it's iPhone bashing. You're basically only comparing those features that you know the iPhone lacks and the Storm doesn't........

.....you seen where I'm going. Compare apples to apples please and if you title your post "reality" check: stay real.

I'm not an iPhone fan, btw. - I prefer the Touch HD and my Bold.

Peter
Okay, okay, easy there big fella... I don't do the internet arguing thing, so I am going to keep it cool.

As far as reality check, it is my opinion that the Storm is getting raked over the coals for having some issues with the OS as well as the touch screen. I owned an iPhone for a year and a half and did the hacker thing and have an opinion on my use of both devices? Do you? If so, share it!

I just wanted folks' opinions. One poster said that it was 'his reason' for liking BB over the iPhone, etc. If you're that sensitive to the whole idea of comparing, then why don't you start a thread using your own words.

peace, love & happiness playa
Old 12-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #16
StuartV
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

What a waste of time. Why don't you compare the Storm to the Motorola DPC550 (the first "flip" phone, that came out, what? 15 years ago?)?

So the Storm is better than some phone that came out years ago. Who cares? What's the point? What does that prove?

The Storm is RIM's latest and greatest. If you want to make a useful comparison, compare it to the latest and greatest from other manufacturers. And compare the features/problems that people (in general, not just you) find useful/annoying. Not just the features that you know are better on the platform you personally prefer.
Verizon 9550
Old 12-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #17
Mudinyeri

Model: Storm

Not that I'm an iPhone lover (I have a Storm) but isn't comparing the first generation of the iPhone to the first generation of the Storm a bit like comparing the first generation of the Hemi to the first generation of the LS6?

Chevrolet had years to perfect the LS engines by the time the LS6 came out. While the first generation of the Hemi set the industry on its ear it was years ago and didn't have the decades of R&D behind it that the LS6 had. (Sorry if you're not a car buff.)

That being said, I'd sure love to have a 70 Cuda with a 426 Hemi. (Oops, wrong forum.)
Old 12-16-2008, 09:02 PM   #18
nm6r

The Storm is my first BlackBerry. I looked at them before and just didn't care for the small screen. The Storm resolved this issue for me and I continue to be impressed everyday. Some of what impresses me is BlackBerry features in general and some are Storm specific.

The iPhone and Storm are both previews of coming attractions. Can you imagine what's in store for us 5 or 10 years down the road?

I'm not an Apple fanatic but I have to commend Apple for pushing the state-of-the-art once again. They did it with the Mac, they did it with the iPod, they did it with the iPhone and continue to improve each of them. This kind of behavior gives us even more choices as the competition tries to one-up Apple and vice-versa.

Ray
Old 12-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #19
Horizon Wireless
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 9920
PIN: 3218B513
Carrier: ROGERS AND FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberryer View Post
This is RIM's first touch screen device, which is a wholly different animal than a traditional keyboard. If Apple had released a traditional physical QWERTY smartphone, I'd agree with you that the comparison isn't fair. But as it stands, these are very much two first gen devices and I agree with the poster that the Storm is a much better device out of the gate. I owned an iPHone and liked it, but I kept wishing it had the functionality of a BlackBerry. Now I have something even better than I could have hoped for while people who still use the Apple device keep grousing about things like MMS and video recording with each new firmware update.
Ok your point is there. But at the end of the day, RIM has been making CELLPHONES for years. They (RIM)have the experience when it comes to chipsets and radios for cellular phones. RIM has made devices that have MMS incorporated into the operating sysystem before, this is nothing new to RIM. And if you look at the OS on the Storm, it is not radically different than say.... an 8700 that was released years ago. If you look at the first GEN i-phone, you have to understand that Apple created the hardware, as well as the operating system from scratch, they had no prior knowledge of how to do this or how to proceed. Its all new to them, this is not an Apple Newton redux or a Macbook pro. This is a Brave New World for them. And for the record, im no Apple fanboy. I dont have a Mac, i dont understand Mac (no right click), nor do i use an i-phone, although i do have a Storm

Last edited by Horizon Wireless; 12-16-2008 at 11:27 PM..
Old 12-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #20
Semi5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T
Carrier: tmobile

hmm, I am not a huge iPhone fan, but as an iPhone and Storm owner, I would add....

iPhone - touchscreen os from ground up
Storm - existing OS made to be useable on touchscreen

iPhone - best mobile browsing experience
Storm - Same old BB browser (maybe a little better)

iPhone - able to answer incoming calls
Storm - Have a heck of a time doing this on Storm

iPhone - fullscreen qwerty
Storm - fullscreen suretype
Closed Thread