10/1/08 -CrackMem V2.6 is here
9/04/08 -CrackMem V2.5 is here
7/24/08 -CrackMem V2.4 is here.
7/21/08 -CrackMem V2.3 is here.
7/17/08 - CrackMem V2.2 is here.
7/17/08 - CrackMem V2.1 is here.
CrackMem V2.0 is here.

CrackMem 2.7
-Added RENAME DOCUMENTSTOGO alx FILE function.
-Changes to Help text to reflect visual changes and text to support new function

CrackMem 2.6 (464 downloads).
I am no longer saying that this is the final version. It is getting embarrasing. Changes this time around are:

-Fixed bug where Vendor.xml was not deleted if there was already a copy in RemovedFiles by deleting copy in RemovedFies.
-Changes to Help text. Removed step 18 from step-by-step guide as it was confusing.
-Removed files from 9000 series OSs
In Carrier Themes
net_rim_theme_precision_silver_480x320_b.cod
In Pre-Loaded Wallpaper
rem net_rim_bb_medialoader_music_480x320_b.cod
rem net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_480x320_b.cod
In Sample Video
rem net_rim_bb_medialoader_480x320_b.cod

CrackMem 2.5 is hopefully (really) the final version (1054 downloads).
I said that last time and I was wrong. Maybe I should not be so optimistic.
Cthanges in 2.5 are minor. The only functional change is the removal of single file group net_rim_bb_media_88*.cod for 88xx series phones.
I added some more test to the help file and color coded different sections.
Fixed a problem where the Help text was not available when run from the Start menu.
Fixed a problem with installing and running when C: is not the boot drive.

CrackMem 2.4 is hopefully the final version (1460 downlaods).
The install now works on all versions of Vista including 64 bit system
I fixed the non-working Help button
The Help text has been considerably updated
ToolTips work on all buttons so you can see what you are about to do before you press the button
I found a little BlackBerry icon for the program - ah, sweet.

CrackMem 2.3 now installs as a proper Windows application. It has Windows style help.

There is support for Vista 64 bit systems.

Under Vista you need to take one additional step after installation on all versions of Vista.

Right click on the CrackMem icon and scroll to Properties.

Select Properties and then on the next panel, select COmpatability and then click Run this program as an administrator. This only need to be done once right after installation.

In
- Fixed non-working Help button
- Updated Help documentation
- Minor changes to menu text
- ToolTips work on all buttons so you can see what you are about to do before you press the button
- Put a BlackBerry Icon on the program

In v2.3
- Updated Help text to Windows standard Help
- Made more room for expansion in main panel
- Changed panel background color to blue
- Changed selected OS display from Red to Blue
- Added net_rim_bb_medialoader_320x240_b.cod
and net_rim_bb_medialoader_240x260_b.cod to
- Remove wallpaper module.
- Added ToolTips to buttons
- Used Windows install
- Support for Windows Vista 32 bit and 64 bit systems.
- ToolTips on all buttons
- a password BrickMyPhone must be typed before the Wipe Phone function will operate

In v2.2
- added remove tty
- added to help text
- changed the look from vertical to horizonal panel to gove more space
- fixed non-working Put It Back button

In v2.1 I have added
- removal tools for Yahoo, AIM and MSN.
- slightly changed the visual look.
- fixed a couple of bugs
- improved various dialogs
- requested a passphrase of ' BrickMyPhone ' on the Wipe Device button before proceeding
- improved the help text.

CrackMem is a free utility for helping to optimize the BlackBerry's memory. It has only been tested on 8xxx series phones.

This is a major revision of the user interface - it now has one - and I my friend alien_scum (a BsC Hons in Maths graduate) did the Delphi coding.

As you can see from the picture, CrackMem V2.x is a proper Windows program.

A maximum of 9 installed OSs are supported. I don't know what happens if you install 10.

About the only 'quirk' is that you have to exit the Help text before you can exit the program.

New options are Wipe Phone and Desktop Manager. Both these options require confirmation before the will action.

Please do be careful with Wipe Phone. It really will brick your phone in two clicks.

If you are unfamilliar with upgrading your phone's Operating System then please read this BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com before starting.

----------------------------------------
UPGRADING YOUR OS USING CRACKMEM
- Download and install the OS that you wish to install on your phone
- Download and install Desktop Manager 4.5 from here https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22
- Download CrackMem from the end of this post
- Unzip CrackMem (double click and select 'Extract all files' from the menu on the left. There is only one file.
- Connect your phone and make sure that Desktop Managher can connect to it. Watch for your PIN number to appear at the bottom of the Desktop Manager panel.
- Kill Desktop Manager but leave your phone connected to your PC
- Run CrackMem
- Select the Operating System you wish to install
- Confirm your choice with the 'Confirm Operating System Selection' Button and the selected OS will be displayed in red.
- You can change your choice now if you wish.
- In the MODULE REMOVAL section pick as many modules to remove as you wish. Make sure that you check the box for 'Remove Vendor.xml'
- Once you have finished slelecting, click 'Excecute Slection' and youi will see an 'Action Completed' box appear. CLick to dismiss it.
- Click the 'Desktop Manager' button.
- Instalation of the Operating System should begin automatically.
- Carefully select the modules you wish to install.

The rest of installing an Operating System is covered in detail in the BlackBerry 101 link above.
----------------------------------------

I welcome your comments.

Pete
Attached Files
File Type: zip CrackMem.zip (724.6 KB, 2072 views)

Last edited by Pete6; 10-11-2008 at 08:06 AM..
Old 07-18-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
culture
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Robbers

very nice!

perfect timing too
Old 07-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
Pete6
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Swisscom

I have just released version 2.4 of CrackMem. This should be the final version of the program until major new Operating Systems are released by RIM.

CrackMem really facilitates major memory savings at OS installation time and can also be used to remove some OS modules even after installation.

A major feature of the program is the Put It Back buttton which will re-instate the OS to its original state after you have installed it on the phone.

CrackMem is specifically aimed at Curve and Pearl phones because I have these phones. I have not tested it on any other BlacBerry phone types. Also I have tested it on most versions of OS 4.2.1, 4.211 and 4.5 up to 4.5.0.52 for the 8310. No testing has been done on any other OS or phone.

CrackMem is free for all to use and distribute and it will remain free. The source code will be donated to Kevin at CrackBerry in about a month when I am certain that further modifications are not neccessary.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Pete6; 07-24-2008 at 01:48 PM..
Old 07-25-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
briankeith513

Model: 8700C
Carrier: VZW and the New AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete6 View Post
I have just released version 2.4 of CrackMem. This should be the final version of the program until major new Operating Systems are released by RIM.

CrackMem really facilitates major memory savings at OS installation time and can also be used to remove some OS modules even after installation.

A major feature of the program is the Put It Back buttton which will re-instate the OS to its original state after you have installed it on the phone.

CrackMem is specifically aimed at Curve and Pearl phones because I have these phones. I have not tested it on any other BlacBerry phone types. Also I have tested it on most versions of OS 4.2.1, 4.211 and 4.5 up to 4.5.0.52 for the 8310. No testing has been done on any other OS or phone.

CrackMem is free for all to use and distribute and it will remain free. The source code will be donated to Kevin at CrackBerry in about a month when I am certain that further modifications are not neccessary.

Enjoy.
Will this work on CDMA curves and pearl?( 8130 and 8330) ?
Old 07-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
Pete6

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankeith513 View Post
Will this work on CDMA curves and pearl?( 8130 and 8330) ?
I think that I answered your question over on CrackBerry - right.

I recognized your signature. Let us hope that you are not an eon away from being the one, Neo. There all three spellings in one sentence.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
Iare Tosevite
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Pete6, there's 2 grammar problems in your post. ;)

Anyway the program sounds nice. Maybe I will try it.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:49 PM   #7
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

Can i buy a vowel ? E
Old 07-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #8
esad_b

Model: 8100
Carrier: rogers

will this work with 4.2.1.107 or just 4.2.1.109?

thanks
Old 07-26-2008, 04:41 PM   #9
Pete6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iare Tosevite View Post
Pete6, there's 2 grammar problems in your post. ;)

Anyway the program sounds nice. Maybe I will try it.
You are quite correct although, I would call then errors rather than problems.

In truth, I was, at the time, more interested in communicating rather than being prosaic.

I like you signature. I had 15 excellent years with DEC as Badge number 45,700.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:46 PM   #10
Pete6

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
will this work with 4.2.1.107 or just 4.2.1.109?

thanks
I have not tested the program with all versions of all OSs on all phones. I have a an 8100 and an 8310 and have tested CrackMem with OSs for those phones.

Others have used CrackMem on a wider variety of phones and OSs so, whilst I cannot be sure that it will work on any given OS, I have no reason to believe that it will fail either.

CrackMem was designed to be independent of the OSs installed on the PC and, if you install it there is an explanation of how the program works in the help text.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #11
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

does this work on cdma devices because I dont see any of them listed
Old 07-26-2008, 04:57 PM   #12
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
does this work on cdma devices because I dont see any of them listed
I guess we have to check Crackberry

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #13
Dawg
No longer Registered.

nope not gonna do it.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:02 PM   #14
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650

I hear ya.

I did survive the other memory cleaning program that we were all tinkering with a few weeks ago.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-26-2008, 05:03 PM   #15
Dawg
No longer Registered.

I am using the other and I like it I havent had any issues with it.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #16
Pete6

Quote:
nope not gonna do it.
Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Your own signature betrays you .

CrackMem has been tested on CDMA devices and several users in the CrackBerry thread, now four pages long, report good results with 8130 and 8330 devices.

The program has been pretty well bashed to death over the last few weeks and has come from my original compiled DOS batch file (v1.0 - 1.6) to the present Delphi version. It has survived.

There seem to be no problems when used with OS 4.2.x.x up to OS 4.5.0.x.

It is equally clear that a program is no substitue for a human. One tiny change to a filename or a folder location and the program cannot cope. CrackMem will therefore only work with OSs that I have specifically targetted it for. It is my belief that RIM will not suddenly change their foder structure or their file naming convention in the immediate future so CrackMem can be 'tweaked' to support newer OS releases as they happen.

CrackMem has been tested under Windows XP and Vista Home Premium by me and by CrackBerry members under Vista 64 bit products.

In truth, you really should read my original post when you go there to download the program as it contains some fairly useful information. The built-in help text also contains an explanation of how the program works, what it does and exactly which files are moved. Please not that I said moved, not deleted. You can put everyting back just the way it was via a Put It Back button.

CrackMem is completely free and I offer it in this forum as a convenience to you since, we all have the same phones and seemingly similar enthusiasm.

Last edited by Pete6; 07-26-2008 at 05:36 PM..
Old 07-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #17
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete6 View Post
Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Your own signature betrays you .

CrackMem has been tested on CDMA devices and several users in the CrackBerry thread, now four pages long, report good results with 8130 and 8330 devices.

The program has been pretty well bashed to death over the last few weeks and has come from my original compiled DOS batch file (v1.0 - 1.6) to the present Delphi version. It has survived.

There seem to be no problems when used with OS 4.2.x.x up to OS 4.5.0.x.

It is equally clear that a program is no substitue for a human. One tiny change to a filename or a folder location and the program cannot cope. CrackMem will therefore only work with OSs that I have specifically targetted it for. It is my belief that RIM will not suddenly change their foder structure or their file naming convention in the immediate future so CrackMem can be 'tweaked' to support newer OS releases as they happen.

CrackMem has been tested under Windows XP and Vista Home Premium by me and by CrackBerry members under Vista 64 bit products.

In truth, you really should read my original post when you go there to download the program as it contains some fairly useful information. The built-in help text also contains an explanation of how the program works, what it does and exactly which files are moved. Please not that I said moved, not deleted. You can put everyting back just the way it was via a Put It Back button.

CrackMem is completely free and I offer it in this forum as a convenience to you since, we all have the same phones and seemingly similar enthusiasm.
Ok I have no idea what you meant by your shot at my sig but what ever.

I will not be downloading because I dont visit that site nor will I. I have my own reasons that dont need to be aired here. Its stupid to post a program and point to another site to download it that someone has to register to get it.

Just seems like you are trying to bump your post count and importance at the other site.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #18
Pete6

Quote:
Ok I have no idea what you meant by your shot at my sig but what ever.

I will not be downloading because I dont visit that site nor will I. I have my own reasons that dont need to be aired here. Its stupid to post a program and point to another site to download it that someone has to register to get it.

Just seems like you are trying to bump your post count and importance at the other site.
It is not stupid at all to have a single and controllable distribution point for any piece of software. Microsoft do it so why not me. It is about the only possible way to distribute software that needs updates and support.

You do not need to register to download the program. It is but two clicks away.

If you do not wish to download then do not do so. I do not mind at all.

I have no need to ' bump your post count and importance at the other site ' and nor do I wish to. My post count is somewhere around 2000+, I think so, a couple more or less do not matter

I initially wrote CrackMem as MaxMem but a post installation memory manager named MaxMem came along whislt I was writing CrackMem and so I changed the name.

I am however a little surprised that I posted my program over here in the hope that it might help people and I am faced with all this negativity.

However I have never worried about narrow mindedness in others as long as I may avoid it in myself.

I shall continue to support CrackMem both here and on CrackBerry.

Last edited by Pete6; 07-26-2008 at 07:00 PM..
Old 07-26-2008, 07:01 PM   #19
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Registration IS, in fact, required to download the app from CB.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:15 PM   #20
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I get this when attempting to download it:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CBLogin.JPG (131.9 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by John Clark; 07-26-2008 at 07:16 PM..
Closed Thread