Old 07-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
johnnyrichter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8530
PIN: <Status<Options
Carrier: Verizon
Default Questions about my Alltel 8130.

Please Login to Remove!

I've owned this phone for about 6 months now, and I'm very let down with it.

When I bought the phone...right away I noticed the HUGE lack of 3rd party software, especially AOL Instant Messenger...which I use constantly. It seems like 90% of the in-demand software is meant for other cellular providers and not Alltel, what's up with that? Does anyone make an AIM program that will work with my carrier/phone?

Second, I noticed a very big issue with this phone...the inability to send/receive pics via text message like a normal phone(razr, razr2, LG, etc). I've called alltel at least once a month since buying this phone and they keep telling me "Sorry that's not us, it's RIM. They will have the software update tested and ready by the end of the month for all you 8130 owners". Again...I was told this same exact line EACH MONTH. I then decided yesterday to e-mail RIM about it...and guess what they told me? "Sorry but that's Alltel's responsibility...all the software is made for all blackberrys and it's Alltel's responsibility to offer that software to you." Absolutely no help from either company, that's lovely considering I spent almost $300 on this heap. Not being able to send/receive pics via text is a deal-breaker for me, and makes me want to toss this 8130 in the trash. Does anyone have any legit/solid info about this??

My last question is about upgrading the OS. I've never done it since buying this phone, so I checked out the new OS thread at the top of this section. The 3rd line in my "about" screen says v4.3.0.81 and the platform is v3.1.0.40. What confuses me is the new OS main version number is older than mine...but the platform version number is newer. Does this mean I should upgrade...or keep mine because mine is newer?

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that I've purchased/downloaded two different programs via Axcess, and when trying to run them I'm told "Sorry this program won't work with your model phone" or something like that, yet I still get charged for it. One of the progs was "color your trackball". Would have been nice to know this before-hand. :\

Last edited by johnnyrichter; 07-14-2008 at 07:57 PM..
Old 07-14-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

1. jivetalk works on any phone with a data connnection its only 20 bucks i believe

2. this issue is with YOUR CARRIER. they must not support it. SPRINT doesnt support it, so i dont get them either. i have a CURVE on TMOBILE and it had MMS. so them blaming it on rim is BS. i can COMFIRM from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and it is your carrier and NOT rim

3. you should keep yours. but it is always good to download your firnware to add/remove features on the device

***the trackball app only worked for the 8100 model. the 8110 8120 and 8130 cannot use it because they lack the LED ( i believe it was LED) lights under the trackball that thoose programs use.

also, there is a free app to do that called "colorpearl" you can find a link on here..... unluckly, it still wont work
Old 07-14-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
johnnyrichter

I looked in to that beejiveIM program you mentioned...and wow. That's probably the coolest mobile IM program ever. It's easy to use, AIM looks awesome, has all sorts of options...easily could be the best one out there for our phones. Thanks so much for that!!!

As for the issue of not being able to attach media to texts...or receive media attached to texts...I'll call Alltel again tomorrow about this and inform them of the new info I've received from others and from RIM. Maybe this time I'll get some no-BS answers from those clowns.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:12 AM   #4
redhandeddenial
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vzw

johnny
im wiht vzw so my process may be a hair different but i think its the same.

to send a pic you can go into media>pictures>my pictures>scroll to the pic you wanna send and hit the bberry button>send as mms

pick who you wanna send it to>the address, or mobile # push the trackball. now while this looks like an email it is a picture message or mms. technically all picture and video messages are emails, there used to be an old trick wiht vzw lg phones you could make a mp3 clipping and send it to "yournumber"@vzwpix.com and it would show up as a pix message.

i hope this helps!
Old 07-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
johnnyrichter

The only send options I have are...

-Send as email

-Send to messenger(Blackberry Messenger)

-Send using Bluetooth

Nothing about mms.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:44 PM   #6
livspop
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon (Alltel)

Here's the real truth about the Alltel MMS issue: It is both the fault of Alltel and RIM. Alltel's MMS provider is not one that is natively compatible with the RIM software in terms of sending MMS messages. RIM has been working to develop a fix for the Pearl, but their "fix" has failed testing at least three times. The next attempt by RIM was delivered to Alltel this week. Believe me, I know this for a fact.

Anyway - it boils down to this: Alltel has deployed an MMS system that is not as easily merged with RIM's software as many others are. But, it must be doable because the Alltel Curve has functional MMS. Notice that I did not say "fully" functional because it is not an incredibly reliable service, even two months after the phone was released.

Now, to the issue of the phone not being able to MMS: If you spent some time looking into the issue prior to buying the phone, you would have know that the Alltel 8130 would not be MMS capable at launch. However, you are correct that tech support has been feeding customers with a line of bull about the release "coming soon" since the day the phone came out. Obviously, that has not panned out.

As for the issue of compatibility of programs, again, you really have to do your research on sites like this, Crackberry and HoFo before you start downloading stuff willy-nilly to your phone. The people who use BBs are some of the most intelligent people out there, and believe me, if there's a problem or a glitch with any software title, you'd find it if you searched one of these sites. I have probably saved $100 on programs that are either free or wouldn't have worked on my phone. One search on this site about the colorpearl app (or whatever it's called) would have yielded 100 threads that told you that it would not work on an 8110, 8120 or 8130.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:49 AM   #7
johnnyrichter

That's some very useful information, I really appreciate your input.

As for failing to research before purchasing my phone and apps...a big mistake on my part, especially when it involves such a sophisticated device. After feeling lost with this thing...and after realizing that I was being jerked around by Alltel, I was compelled to find a good forum to join. I'm glad I did, and will return the favor by pointing other BB owners in this direction.

As for the Alltel/MMS issue...I called Alltel earlier today to tell them what RIM had told me. The guy was really cool about it, owns an 8130 as well...and his exact words were "Dude, I've been waiting as long as you, it does suck. They won't tell us anything. Last I heard we received the update several months ago and it was under testing with our tech department to make sure it was fully compatible/functional with our phones. It was aimed to be released in May, but never happened."

I don't mind waiting for it, just wanted to make sure the update wasn't forgotten about or tossed to the side.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:12 AM   #8
beninark
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

this is the reason I went from Alltel to AT&T(then Cingular). They were always pulling this stuff on me. My friend was wanting to buy a smart phone from them for the calendar features alone and they kept telling him if he bought a smart phone then he would have to buy a internet plan...finally I convinced him to buy a phone off ebay so he wouldnt have to pay for the extra plan.

AGGGG I just dislike Alltel sooooo much. No real positive experiences with them.

AT&T on the other hand has been spectacular for me...for the last 2 years I have been with them...luck of the draw? I dunno...

That being said my mom is in the same boat as you with her pearl...She keeps dragging me into the Alltel store so I can make heads or tails of what they are saying...

Thankfully she doesnt text or she would be yelling about this MMS stuff...
Old 07-16-2008, 01:51 AM   #9
johnnyrichter

I've actually had the best luck with Alltel. Apart from this MMS issue, they've been a great provider for the 4 years I have been a customer.

I was a Verizon customer before then, had to switch after moving to a no-Verizon zone.

Speaking of which...aren't these two companies merging or something?
Old 07-16-2008, 08:12 AM   #10
Phranc

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrichter View Post

As for the Alltel/MMS issue...I called Alltel earlier today to tell them what RIM had told me. The guy was really cool about it, owns an 8130 as well...and his exact words were "Dude, I've been waiting as long as you, it does suck. They won't tell us anything. Last I heard we received the update several months ago and it was under testing with our tech department to make sure it was fully compatible/functional with our phones. It was aimed to be released in May, but never happened."

I don't mind waiting for it, just wanted to make sure the update wasn't forgotten about or tossed to the side.
I've been feuding with Alltel for a year and half over this. While it's true that most of the CS reps have no clue why MMS doesn't work and most tech support folks don't know either, Alltel should step up and be upfront about the issue. When you go into an Alltel store to get a Blackberry the sales people don't know about the MMS issue either.

Blowing smoke and lying about an issue like this is no way to run a business, although this is fast becoming the normal business model. It may become a moot point soon, as Verizon takes over Alltel, and system operations become absorbed into Verizon.

As an aside, Verizon has gotten MMS to work with Blackberries in the last few months, so maybe there is some hope for Alltel subscribers.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:27 PM   #11
thackstonns
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Alltel

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninark View Post
this is the reason I went from Alltel to AT&T(then Cingular). They were always pulling this stuff on me. My friend was wanting to buy a smart phone from them for the calendar features alone and they kept telling him if he bought a smart phone then he would have to buy a internet plan...finally I convinced him to buy a phone off ebay so he wouldnt have to pay for the extra plan.

AGGGG I just dislike Alltel sooooo much. No real positive experiences with them.

AT&T on the other hand has been spectacular for me...for the last 2 years I have been with them...luck of the draw? I dunno...

That being said my mom is in the same boat as you with her pearl...She keeps dragging me into the Alltel store so I can make heads or tails of what they are saying...

Thankfully she doesnt text or she would be yelling about this MMS stuff...
Yeah At&t is great to bad thier gsm and for anyone out of a major metropolitan area there coverage sucks. And they obviously dont care. They have no towers in remote locations. Alltel at least is a rural carrier, and have been putting up towers where no one else will. Now that verizon bought us I can guarentee that you will pay for every feature. Alltel will sell you a smart phone without the data plan. (But you have to pay full price 4 it.) just not a blackberry, the reason is that blackberry constantly connects to its servers. and on cdma one bb without data will ping the tower so often it will take it down. I know i have seen engineers triangulate bb's that arent on a data plan just for that reason. Yeah no mms on the pearl sucks. Hard really hard. but you can still email or send threw bb messenger.
To be honest I am tired of people bashing alltel. I have a blackberry curve with alltel. I am on a $90 plan which gives me unlimited data, 500 min which wouldnt be enough except I also have 10 my circle numbers. unlimited text. and 7pm night and weekends. And good speeds with evdo. Good reception. And I live in a small town in Nebraska.
Sorry about the rant, but 5 min of searching could have answered all your questions. and avoided you from looking like an idiot.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:29 PM   #12
johnnyrichter

I'm hoping this merger/takeover benefits me as far as reception/service area goes, but who knows.

Sucks living 1-2miles too far from the nearest 1XEV tower...I average 2-3bars 1X and get stuck with slow net.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #13
Phranc

I dont' think the VZW takeover is going to make any changes in your reception. Alltel already has their own network/agreements that make it's coverage greater than Verizon's. the only difference will be that you will go on Verizon's towers without seeing the roaming icon. Unless they build a new tower closer, you got what you got.
Closed Thread