Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
skygirl65

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular
Default Any work around for IT disabled SMS and PIN

Please Login to Remove!

My company has disabled the PIN and SMS on all our blackberries. We all get text's from our family and friends, but we can't reply. Are there any work arounds for this? Some of my team carry a second cell phone just so they can text (especially if they have kids). This is crazy. I tried google talk, but (of course) IT had disabled that too.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint

Why would you want to bypass the company's wishes? Wouldn't that be grounds for termination?

This is probably one of the reasons your company went with the BB platform...To maintain control of their network, devices and bandwith.

I am afraid you will have to get a personal phone to send texts if that is what the company wants....

SteveTaz
Old 07-13-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
jlink38
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW

Why don't you just ask them? You will get fired from your job for doing that. That would be defacing company property.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygirl65 View Post
Are there any work arounds for this?
1. Ask IT to grant you an exception from the IT policies.
2. Keep your BB off their BES.

That's it.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

There seems to be a rash of 'how do I get around company policy' threads lately.

No, there is no way around the security that is enforced on a BlackBerry connected to a company BES.

As others stated, you can try talking to your IT Dept/BES Admin, but they probably have good reasons for disabling it. One reason I can think of is if the company is paying for the device and the plan, and you're using text messaging for personal use, the device's plan may not include SMS - and is therefore an added expense. Given that you're using it for personal use, they disable it.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #6
jlink38
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
There seems to be a rash of 'how do I get around company policy' threads lately.

No, there is no way around the security that is enforced on a BlackBerry connected to a company BES.

As others stated, you can try talking to your IT Dept/BES Admin, but they probably have good reasons for disabling it. One reason I can think of is if the company is paying for the device and the plan, and you're using text messaging for personal use, the device's plan may not include SMS - and is therefore an added expense. Given that you're using it for personal use, they disable it.

Right. SMS is not part of any plan on any carrier lately, so many companies choose not to use it, especially if PIN messaging and e-mail are included in the BES package.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Not entirely certain why they disabled PIN messaging though. Would have been just as easy to let you PIN inside the organization for communication, but once its a policy you cant bypass it, only ask it to be changed.
Closed Thread