Old 07-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
MICP1480
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default WOW! 6 stars

Please Login to Remove!

I just took the Verizon Navigator out for a spin on my 8330, and I have to say that it took me right to the front door. I tried it going back to my home and I knew of a shorter route and it did exactly that. I put this navigation system with the other expensive ones on the top of the list. I also found out what the "DO NOT Disturb" function was on my phone. The best was that when the navigation is working the screen does not shut off. I am very pleased. Six stars Verizon.

MICP1480
Old 07-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

This is a point I always try to mention when people complain about the GPS being locked down. Yes, it would be GREAT if it weren't, but the app that its locked to is great. It has a couple of different voices you can choose from for the spoken turn-by-turn directions, and a comprehensive local search feature. I can't wait till v 4.0 is out for the BB so it will include real-time traffic info.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
Shane Pitman

Carrier: Sprint

I was just pointing out to my wife how accurate the GPS on my 8330 was (Sprint here). We're sitting in our beach house on Virginia Beach (actually Chicks Beach technically) and it pinpointed me in the house on a satellite view map.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:33 PM   #4
A320Mech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

I just got done with a 300+ mile trip using TeleNav on my ATT 8310 and I was impressed. My main gripe is that every half hour or so it would say "No cell coverage in this area" even though I had service, and it would just display the turn icons for 5 min or so then tell me that I now have cell service and display the map again. It also gave me an "uncaught exception" about 4 hours into my journey, leaving me stranded in the Bronx while I rebooted. Not cool. As far as the actual directions though, 6 stars all the way. I don't even see the point in getting something like a TomTom when I can even get traffic reports and re-routed directions on a cell phone!
Old 07-04-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
Shane Pitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by A320Mech View Post
I just got done with a 300+ mile trip using TeleNav on my ATT 8310 and I was impressed. My main gripe is that every half hour or so it would say "No cell coverage in this area" even though I had service, and it would just display the turn icons for 5 min or so then tell me that I now have cell service and display the map again. It also gave me an "uncaught exception" about 4 hours into my journey, leaving me stranded in the Bronx while I rebooted. Not cool. As far as the actual directions though, 6 stars all the way. I don't even see the point in getting something like a TomTom when I can even get traffic reports and re-routed directions on a cell phone!

I still use a portable GPS unit for road trips just because the screen is bigger and easier to see at a glance, and the volume is louder, but I admit you could easily use it for navigation.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
hacku

I wish they would just sell the VZ Navigator software instead of wanting to charge you $10/mo. :(

Does anyone know if there is a way to unlock the GPS so it can be used with some other navigation software?
Old 07-04-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

There is no way.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
hacku

Well that sucks... :(

I hope someone finds a way to crack the phone and unlock the GPS. That would be very nice.

I just upgraded to this phone 2 days ago (had a Motorola Q) and I absolutely love it!
Old 07-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #9
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

There's multiple threads out there of people wishing to hack Verizon's GPS. It's very unlikely that it will happen.

As people have said, you get what you pay for - excellent GPS for a relatively low price.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #10
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICP1480 View Post
I just took the Verizon Navigator out for a spin on my 8330, and I have to say that it took me right to the front door. I tried it going back to my home and I knew of a shorter route and it did exactly that. I put this navigation system with the other expensive ones on the top of the list. I also found out what the "DO NOT Disturb" function was on my phone. The best was that when the navigation is working the screen does not shut off. I am very pleased. Six stars Verizon.

MICP1480
That's great to hear. I don't have it, but I was wondering if it's possible to get it for a day at the time, or week or two when I'm traveling. I don't really need it all the time.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:04 AM   #11
hacku

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachamphetamine View Post
As people have said, you get what you pay for - excellent GPS for a relatively low price.
You call $10/mo. a relatively low price? You can go and buy a GPS system at Best Buy for a couple of hundred bucks. Having to pay $10/mo. until you don't need it anymore is ridiculous.

Thats why I was saying that I wish they would just sell the software for like $100 or something instead of having to pay a monthly price on it.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:10 AM   #12
thomasdl62
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Last I checked you could get VZ Nav for a day or for the month. Day charge was 2.99 I think. Also think there was airtime useage charge in addition to the fee for the application.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:18 AM   #13
obeythelaw
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

the VZ Nav software is very good. However, you do know that use Blackberry users are getting ripped off?!?! I don't mean the price, I mean that we pay $10 for VZ Nav that is the oldest version. Almost every other non Blackberry phone on Verizon that is GPS capabale has the newest VZ Nav version that has weather and traffic and the newest updated maps. Not us. Of course, I've contacted them and they said they are working on it, but no timetable.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:35 AM   #14
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

the last official word from verizon was "within a few weeks"
Old 07-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #15
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacku View Post
You call $10/mo. a relatively low price? You can go and buy a GPS system at Best Buy for a couple of hundred bucks. Having to pay $10/mo. until you don't need it anymore is ridiculous.

Thats why I was saying that I wish they would just sell the software for like $100 or something instead of having to pay a monthly price on it.
Yes, I do call it a relatively low price for a convenient service. Sure, you can go out and buy the GPS system, but it's stationary as opposed to your phone that you can bring anywhere - especially while traveling not in your own car. If someone doesn't want to pay for VZ Nav, there's always the option to buy a BT puck and use a third-party application.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:55 AM   #16
markdish
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: alltel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Pitman View Post
I was just pointing out to my wife how accurate the GPS on my 8330 was (Sprint here). We're sitting in our beach house on Virginia Beach (actually Chicks Beach technically) and it pinpointed me in the house on a satellite view map.
i live in VA Beach ...... sorry for hijack :P
Old 07-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #17
jdawg0024

I have the 8330 for sprint (which also uses telnav) It comes with my cell plan so there is no charge for it. It blows Blackberry maps and google maps out of the water, it my number one for GPS. I also have ran into a couple of VRZN users that say they can not use google maps, which confuses me becasue my buddy has the 8330 for VRZN and he can use it just fine, except it doesnt use GPS instead it uses the surrounding cell phones towers to give your location within 1000 meters
Old 07-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #18
hnsimpson
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: pm me for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacku View Post
I wish they would just sell the VZ Navigator software instead of wanting to charge you $10/mo. :(

Does anyone know if there is a way to unlock the GPS so it can be used with some other navigation software?
Their are 2 ways to hack the GPS of Verizon:

1- Get a GPS puck and use Bluetooth
or
2- Switch Carriers

-simpson

-Young MC
Old 07-07-2008, 03:35 AM   #19
irockash
Thumbs Must Hurt

I don't mind the monthly subscription for GPS (to be honest, I've had it free for a year, but paid for it before... perks of being a reseller), in my case TeleNav.

Maps always tend to be up to date, instead of having to upgrade or repurchase software annually. Also, the TeleNav site works wonders... setting up routes and addresses before hand, automatic syncing, and also the ability to share addresses with other users.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:05 AM   #20
kparton
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8110
PIN: 20688648
Carrier: Orange UK
Default Question about BB Messenger

woops

Last edited by kparton; 07-07-2008 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: wrong thread
Closed Thread