Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
crappa21

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att
Default curve battery

Please Login to Remove!

IS anyone else having problems with the battery life of the curve? I had it charging over night and when i got home this afternoon after very moderate use i only had 2 bars left. Is this because i didnt drain the battery before my first charge when i first got it last month?
Old 04-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

whats the percentage at under options>status?

also whats your definition of moderate use?

i send and receive about 100 emails a day, while using jivetalk, the media player, BB messenger, and about a total of 2 hours worth of surfing, and talking on the phone for about 2 hours as well, and about 200-400 text a day, and i'm at about 25% at the end of the night at around 10pm... my morning starts at 9

k wow, i just realized i use my phone alot!!!

Last edited by Cory Scheuer; 04-21-2008 at 04:15 PM..
Old 04-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Do you use the GPS a lot? That is a big drain on power. I don't think your failure to properly condition the battery should be responsible for that much of a drain in such a short time....
Old 04-21-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
crappa21

today i talked for about an hour thats about it and received like maybe 10 emails... maybe it did have something to do with the att navigator. Even so i have just recently gotten that ap and even before hand i am really not seeing the battery life others have described. i wonder if i got a defective battery or something. I just ordered an adapter for a 110v power outlet in my car that i plan on using to keep the phone charged and for my lock box key pad ( im a Realtor).
Old 04-21-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

bring it back... get a replacement battery
Old 04-21-2008, 05:09 PM   #6
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crappa21 View Post
today i talked for about an hour thats about it and received like maybe 10 emails... maybe it did have something to do with the att navigator. Even so i have just recently gotten that ap and even before hand i am really not seeing the battery life others have described. i wonder if i got a defective battery or something. I just ordered an adapter for a 110v power outlet in my car that i plan on using to keep the phone charged and for my lock box key pad ( im a Realtor).
Turn your ATT Navigator OFF! I bet you will see your battery return to normal.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
crappa21

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
Turn your ATT Navigator OFF! I bet you will see your battery return to normal.
i just started using it and i have had subpar battery life since before i was using it.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:46 PM   #8
jack55
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: STORM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Scheuer View Post
whats the percentage at under options>status?

also whats your definition of moderate use?

i send and receive about 100 emails a day, while using jivetalk, the media player, BB messenger, and about a total of 2 hours worth of surfing, and talking on the phone for about 2 hours as well, and about 200-400 text a day, and i'm at about 25% at the end of the night at around 10pm... my morning starts at 9

k wow, i just realized i use my phone alot!!!
Well... with Posts: 1,068 and everything you do above, you play with your BB 24/7. Do you even work?
Old 04-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #9
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

yea lol i'm a full time loss prevention manager for HBC (Hudson Bay Company) handling about 3 stores rights now... along with my company (see sig), so yeah i work... to much at times lol
Old 04-22-2008, 05:54 AM   #10
bbnflpn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: ATT

i have had battery issues too,

your talking, i charge right before bed, i go to sleep and i wake up and battery is half dead. yes i have had replacement batteries, and replacement phones.

i do not use gprs, and i do not have the status lights on, i have my blue tooth off and not engaged at all,

i think there is a battery vampire about,

i have 3 back up batteries and 3 chargers, one i keep at home, one at work and one in my car.

im on my 4th phone since january, i just got my 4th replacement today, and i charged it up, and now off the charger a few mins its already at 85% i think im about going nuts here,

yes i drain the battery fully and charge it fully for the first and 2nd charges.

i just dont get it
Old 04-22-2008, 07:58 AM   #11
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint

Hi bbnflpn:

Back in my Treo days I do know one thing that ate up batteries was if you were in a fringe phone reception area. The device was constantly seeking a signal and that chewed up the battery rather quickly. Do you often have a weak signal?

I don't know if BBs are subject to that "feature", but I thought it might be worth mentioning. Also, have you checked to see if you are leaving any applications like an internet connection running in the background instead of actually disconnecting?

I am still learning....

SteveTaz
Old 04-22-2008, 10:49 AM   #12
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Poor coverage will affect battery life as well.

Quote:
maybe it did have something to do with the att navigator.
at&t has its own nav app or are you referring to Telenav? Either way, make sure you're actually closing the app when you're not using it. You can hit Alt-Esc to see if it's still running.

Quote:
Is this because i didnt drain the battery before my first charge when i first got it last month?
No -- the battery is Li ion not NiCad or NiMH. You don't want to drain Li ion batteries.

Last edited by takeshi; 04-22-2008 at 10:51 AM..
Old 04-22-2008, 10:55 AM   #13
blackjerry

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks for teaching this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetaz View Post
Hi bbnflpn:

Back in my Treo days I do know one thing that ate up batteries was if you were in a fringe phone reception area. The device was constantly seeking a signal and that chewed up the battery rather quickly. Do you often have a weak signal?

I don't know if BBs are subject to that "feature", but I thought it might be worth mentioning. Also, have you checked to see if you are leaving any applications like an internet connection running in the background instead of actually disconnecting?

I am still learning....

SteveTaz
Old 04-22-2008, 01:30 PM   #14
bbnflpn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetaz View Post
Hi bbnflpn:

I am still learning....

SteveTaz
how do you turn off the internet connection, i dont use it that often, but im not sure how to do it, i usually have a pretty good signal and in my area im listed as being on edge,

i have found that once i turn the blue tooth on on any of the phones, it kill the battery even if i have the function turned off completely and only turn it on when i need to use it, lately i have given up on blue tooth completely and just use the corded headset that was given with the phone.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:08 PM   #15
moorken
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9790
Carrier: ?

I switched back from a 8800 to a 8300 and must say that the battery life is significantly lower then for the 8800 (RIM states the battery life is 20% less then for the 8800, however i have the feeling it is a lot more)

BUT, i must say, when i've fully charged the 8300 it "loses" its first 2 bars pretty fast, but you can still continue for a couple of days, i even survive most of the time over the weekend with only 1 bar left. its like the first 2 bars are only lit when the battery is more then 90% full....
Old 04-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #16
MaxDiggity
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorken View Post
BUT, i must say, when i've fully charged the 8300 it "loses" its first 2 bars pretty fast, but you can still continue for a couple of days, i even survive most of the time over the weekend with only 1 bar left. its like the first 2 bars are only lit when the battery is more then 90% full....
Yes, well put, exactly what it seems like.
Closed Thread