BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS
Default Any else start using their personal BlackBerry for work?

Please Login to Remove!

As much I love my BlackBerry for personal reasons, I just realized this week that I have been using it just a little more every week for work purposes.. The notes feature is just too useful while running from one biulding to another. Especially since we started deploying GPS in our patrol cars I just found it easier to make the notes on my BlackBerry and sending the deputies on their way and emailing myself the information, instead of wasting the time to walk back and forth to my computer or carry a piece of paper around.

Has anyone else realized that they started using their personal BlackBerry for work related purposes???

Have I truly started going down the dark path!!!

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

About 60-70% of my daily emails in/out come from work so I guess we're in the same boat. One other good thing is that I am not on BES. And I get some reibursements every end of the month.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Not me. I have one device for work (8830) and one for ME (8130). Never the 2 shall mix.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
LinkMobile
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: 24294B29
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricpac View Post
About 60-70% of my daily emails in/out come from work so I guess we're in the same boat. One other good thing is that I am not on BES. And I get some reibursements every end of the month.
Same for me.. But no reimbusement on my end...
Old 04-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #5
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Yea no reinbursement for me either, but I am ok with that our budget is a bit rocky right now all for the greater good I suppose.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-15-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (mindlessly posted)

I too am like juwaack
One for me one for work

Never shall they mix
Old 04-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
option94
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 21BFC0A1
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (At&t curve)

I do it, and get no reimbursement. It makes my life easier while at work, so that's all I care about.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
Yea no reinbursement for me either, but I am ok with that our budget is a bit rocky right now all for the greater good I suppose.
If you're self employed and use your BB for work, it is a business expense, or if you have a side business, like you do some consulting.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #9
ArmyGeorge
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 24546662
Carrier: AT&T

This is called "Selfless Service" in the Army, one of our core values....
--Garmin GPS, returned, got BBTracker
--Dalwhinnie Single Malt
Old 04-15-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
LinkMobile
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: 24294B29

Quote:
Originally Posted by option94 View Post

I do it, and get no reimbursement. It makes my life easier while at work, so that's all I care about.
That and Sprint's Dealer Plan is fairly generous
Old 04-15-2008, 08:33 PM   #11
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

At work, they finally gave me the green light to use my personal Blackberry to join the corporate network. I was still not high enough up the food chain to rate a unit from the IT department, but since I took on some added responsibilities dealing with corporate contacts they said I could use my personal BB and become one with the collective. I was actually happy because I was using an 8800 while the only model issued by IT was an 8700. So I got set up on the corporate BES, and 2 weeks later I got sh!t-canned! It was simply a matter of corporate downsizing, but damm! I was there long enough to get an IT Policy pushed onto my device, then cut loose. That's cold man.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:36 PM   #12
ArmyGeorge
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 24546662

New Jersey eh? Want a job at Dix?

https://www.benning.army.mil/videos/video23/index.htm
--Garmin GPS, returned, got BBTracker
--Dalwhinnie Single Malt
Old 04-16-2008, 04:17 AM   #13
ikasen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by option94 View Post

Same with me.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:40 AM   #14
RedVR6
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A

I ought to...since it seems that my company and IT department (my department) does not feel it necessary that its employees have proper communication devices to work together and have a little more freedom when working remotely/from home.

That said, I do have the ability to connect to our BES but won't do it. It is easier for my co-workers to get my via my Yahoo or GTalk accounts when needed. It is all mind boggling to me.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:37 AM   #15
Reverend Beavis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: TMO

I use my personal BB for work. Mostly email and calendar. I've tried for years to get BES, but I'm told NO because our IS dept doesn't want to support multiple platforms. Doesn't make much sense though, since our admin services and IS dept's use BlackBerry's!
Old 04-16-2008, 08:39 AM   #16
david9962000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9360
Carrier: at&t

Both, I have 3 e-mails acct.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:59 AM   #17
RadHaz75
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: BALL
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

we dont allow anyone to use personal blackberrys with our servers. if you want a blackberry and have the business justification for it we are more than willing to pay for the device and service. our hr views it as a security risk in the same manor if you were to plug your personal laptop into our corporate network.

that being said we allow our corporate devices to be used as personal devices within reason. for people that are always on call we feel that it is within reason for them to be able to use the device personally granted they dont abuse it.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #18
nathanotis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Hero

I'm on call a couple times a month, so work forwards phones to me and I also have work e-mail set up on my personal 8320. I also get reimbursed.
n.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #19
quillhill
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Torch
Carrier: at&t

I have been using my personal BB to do some work related tasks since I got my first one nearly two years ago. The previous ownership had no desire to issue me a cell phone and I had no desire to be tethered to their company of choice at the time. We were not and still are not running and never will run an Exchange Server (the latter portion of the statement made by our IT folks).

So, our new ownership has a decent FAN discount for those of us with personal lines on at&t, plus they've deployed a fair number of at&t devices to employees. I still don't rate having a company issued phone and they don't have an issue with my personal phone being used to push e-mail from the Kerio MailServer the company is using now.

I get my work e-mail, take occasional work related calls from my editor or photographer(s) while out on assignment, and use the calendar to keep track of my appointments.

I'm cool with having things co-mingled as long as I'm paying the bill since I at least have say over what I do with my phone.

What I don't do is keep professional contacts on my cell.

I really am in need of one of those card scanners, though, maybe I should get the company to buy me one of those since they're not footing the bill for my phone
Old 04-16-2008, 04:26 PM   #20
CrazEtooN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: iPhne
PIN: point

I have the option of putting my personal BB on my company's BES, but they have far too many rules for my liking. No apps, no maps, no SD card, no MMS, and we have to pay for our own BES capable data plan amongst other things. Of course, this only applies to those of us that want to use our own, personal Berrys on the BES... They also offer the option of renting a BB from their corporate stock pile for nothing but data use on their BES, but as of right now, I can't justify the extra $10 or $15 a month due to my situation.

Edit: Forgot the rest... I still use my Berry for work though, just not for syncing to my work email address. The calendar, tasks, memo pad, GPS, and some apps I have are invaluable to my daily work life; not to mention I have a "personal" email address that I only use for work related stuff, and I give it to my clients, and of course that email is synced to the Berry.

I have no problem with this however, because despite the growing trend of BlackBerrys being used for personal/entertainment reasons, I still bought mine as, and still consider mine, a business tool first, a personal entertainment device second.

Last edited by CrazEtooN; 04-16-2008 at 04:30 PM..
Closed Thread