BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 10:17 PM   #1
tathepilot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
Carrier: none
Default 7100g pop3....? Exchange Server...??Help..!!!

Please Login to Remove!

I just purchased the 7100 for cingular and I have a couple of questiuon.

1. Do I need to have a data plan to access a pop3 email server.

2. Do I need a data account to connect to my exchange server at my office.

If there are online tutorials on how to set this up, that would be great if someone can point me in the right direction.

thx
Old 07-24-2005, 11:19 PM   #2
Bawdygard
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

You might want to start with the FAQs (menu at top of page). There's an excellent thread there entitled "What Are The Methods of Receiving Email On BlackBerry?"

And, yes, I believe Pop3 is going to require a data account. I can't think of how else the e-mail is going to get to your BB (unless I'm just having one of those senior moments).
Old 07-25-2005, 02:36 AM   #3
9balla4life
Thumbs Must Hurt

Location: Land where Blackburr's grow off trees....not sure yet
Model: 8120
PIN: 24760E78

Quote:
Originally Posted by tathepilot
I just purchased the 7100 for cingular and I have a couple of questiuon.

1. Do I need to have a data plan to access a pop3 email server.

2. Do I need a data account to connect to my exchange server at my office.

If there are online tutorials on how to set this up, that would be great if someone can point me in the right direction.

thx
Having a BES server is a very large purchase so unless you work for a really well known company you probably don't have access to the BES. However, you can use BWC to set up all your pop3 e-mails... try www.cingular.com/blackberrystart I think you can take it from there.

I would advised that you get a data plan. BB's and PDA devices kill data that are transfered. What you need to ask yourself is how important e-mail access is to you, could it potentially casue you lots of money? Get the unlimited data plan for $44.99 and then you won't have to worry about anything else. If you don't have that feature on your account then your BB would say "data connection refused" or something like that unless they have come out with a data plan that is PPU.
Currently using 8100 Pearl.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:07 PM   #4
tathepilot
Thumbs Must Hurt

No my company is not using BES.
So you are saying that I still need to get a data plan if I use the web client for my pop3 and exchange server @ my office..?

To make it clear here is what I'm trying to achieve.

I would like to check and reply to my pop3 directly from my bb.
I would also like to get and reply to email from my company exchange server (non bes)

I'm with cingular

Last edited by tathepilot; 07-25-2005 at 01:31 PM..
Old 07-25-2005, 02:11 PM   #5
Bawdygard
Thumbs Must Hurt

Then I think a data plan is in your future.

As for what you want to accomplish, there are a number of ways to do it - each with their pros and cons, depending on personal preferences. For instance, you can have your pop3 e-mail forwarded to your BB, leaving the original e-mail intact in the pop3 account. When responding to the e-mail, you would copy yourself at the pop3 address if you wanted a copy of your reply. As for the office e-mail, you could accomplish the same thing by setting up a rule for forwarding e-mail when you're out of the office, Again, the original e-mail would be left intact and if you wanted a copy of your reply, you could copy yourself at that address. To help keep things straight, I'd check out a free utility called BBReply that's out here umpteen times. This gives you the ability to set the Reply To in outgoing e-mail so you can (try to) keep replies to your accounts straight.

Again, there are a number of other ways to handle e-mail, depending on the desired outcome...
Old 07-25-2005, 02:21 PM   #6
tathepilot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawdygard
Then I think a data plan is in your future.

As for what you want to accomplish, there are a number of ways to do it - each with their pros and cons, depending on personal preferences. For instance, you can have your pop3 e-mail forwarded to your BB, leaving the original e-mail intact in the pop3 account. When responding to the e-mail, you would copy yourself at the pop3 address if you wanted a copy of your reply. As for the office e-mail, you could accomplish the same thing by setting up a rule for forwarding e-mail when you're out of the office, Again, the original e-mail would be left intact and if you wanted a copy of your reply, you could copy yourself at that address. To help keep things straight, I'd check out a free utility called BBReply that's out here umpteen times. This gives you the ability to set the Reply To in outgoing e-mail so you can (try to) keep replies to your accounts straight.

Again, there are a number of other ways to handle e-mail, depending on the desired outcome...
Thanks....
I guess more specifically I should ask "can I achieve any of the above without getting a data plan...?" At an extra $50. a month on my wireless bill I'd like to save some money....
Old 07-25-2005, 02:31 PM   #7
Bawdygard
Thumbs Must Hurt

Not to my (limited) knowledge. That's why I jumped ship from Cingular to T-Mobile...
Old 08-06-2005, 01:43 PM   #8
petcall

Model: 7100g

I had to replace my blackberry recently and did the restore backup file function from pc to handheld. During the transfer my pictures were lost. I now get little red x boxes instead of the photos that came with the new handheld. Could someone explain to me how this happened? When I click on the "photos" anyway it gives me an error message saying it "cannot open DRM content." Please explain.

JustsawElvis
Old 08-06-2005, 06:51 PM   #9
jibi
BlackBerry God

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by tathepilot
Thanks....
I guess more specifically I should ask "can I achieve any of the above without getting a data plan...?" At an extra $50. a month on my wireless bill I'd like to save some money....
no.