Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
gammer

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Export BES DB?

Please Login to Remove!

Currently running Blackberry Manager 4.0.6.7 on a Lotus Notes box for 27 users.

We are planning on decommissioning the current server and implementing a new notes server.

The plan is to get Notes up and running, install BES 4.0.6.7 and export the DB from the old server and import it to the new server.

The problem is I'm finding conflicting info on how to do this. One thread suggests doing it from scratch, wiping the handhelds and activating again.

And then I found this PDF (see attachment) on how to export/import. But we don't have SQL Sever Enterprise Manager???

Has anyone done a similar "upgrade/install", or know of a way to do this properly?
Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BackUpandRestoreBlackberryDB.pdf (55.0 KB, 54 views)
Old 04-09-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
gammer

Just wanted to mention that I got the "command line" back up to work from the attachment. So my question is: is exporting/importing the way to go for my situation? or should I go from scratch?
Old 04-09-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
voyager9355
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

gammer,

I followed that same doc to set up backups of my BES DB.

I would imagine the best thing to do would be a clean install of the BES server (you gotta do it anyway, right?), then restore your BES DB to the new installation from the backup you made before shutting down the old system.

Good luck! I went from BES 2.2 on my mail server to 4.1.3 on a newly installed separate Domino server last summer - and it really was simple.

I can't say whether or not it will run through activation on the handhelds. Maybe someone else knows the answer to that?
Old 04-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
gammer

Thanks Voyager9355.
Yeah, that sounds like a good plan...install BES on the new server, import the DB and then we are going to upgrade to 4.1.x
Old 04-23-2008, 09:38 AM   #5
gammer

I just wanted to update this thread, in case anyone is doing a similar database backup and restore. In case you were wondering, we were de-commissioning an old Notes server with BES 4.0.6.7 and putting a brand new server in its place running the exact same version of Windows (server 2003) BES and Lotus Domino.

Tips:
(pre-tip: The great thing about Lotus is that after you run the installer, you can simply grab the Lotus folder off the old server and just copy and paste it over the Lotus folder on the new server...done...thats all. Now on to BES)

1. I used the attached pdf and the 'command line' to back up our DB.
2. after installing the exact same version of BlackBerry manager to our new server, restore the DB using the command line from the attached pdf.
3. I then had to copy the RIM folder from Program Files on the old server and paste it over the RIM folder on the new server.
4. *Important*...this was never mentioned, but you need to copy the CE.dll file from c:\windows\system32 folder from the old server to the new server. The CE.dll file is responsible for the IT Security policy to work correctly.

That should be all you need.

We will be upgrading to BlackBerry Manager 4.1.4 in a couple weeks, but for now our new BES is working fine.
Closed Thread