BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
kady05
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question 8100 typing problem (double letters) since upgrading to 4.2.1.107, update post #13

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all, I've never posted here, just have read a few topics when I needed some help, but I've been having an issue for quite some time now and can't seem to find anything already posted about it.

Ever since I upgraded my Pearl (8100) to the version 4.2.1.107, I occasionally get double letters when I'm texting (or typing in general). So say I want to type 'what', sometimes I'll get 'qqggat' instead, or 'and' will become 'abbd'. Make sense?
I called T-Mobile about it awhile back, and they said they had a few other customers call about the same issue, but that there wasn't a 'fix' for it. They suggested I try typing slower to see if that helped. It sometimes does, but not consistently. It's becoming really annoying; I would LOVE to be able to type normally and as fast as I'd like!

So, has anyone had this issue, and is there any way to resolve it? Is there a newer version out that I've failed to see on here? Any suggestions would be great!

Last edited by kady05; 08-19-2008 at 07:03 AM..
Old 04-04-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
linekbp

Model: 8110
Carrier: airtel

hope the handset is not dropped or water logged , or else it might be hardware problem , I GUESS
Old 04-04-2008, 07:07 AM   #3
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
So say I want to type 'what', sometimes I'll get 'qqggat' instead, or 'and' will become 'abbd'. Make sense?
Sounds like your Pearl is in Suretype mode, and you're trying to type in Multi-tap mode.
Before you start typing, click the menu button and choose 'Enable Multitap' from the menu.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
kady05

Quote:
Originally Posted by linekbp View Post
hope the handset is not dropped or water logged , or else it might be hardware problem , I GUESS
Funny you should mention that. It has been dropped in water before . I followed all the directions on here (remove battery immediately, let dry for 4-5 days), and it's worked fine. I believe I downloaded the upgrade before I dropped it in the water though, so it started having the issue before it was dropped in water.. I could be wrong though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Sounds like your Pearl is in Suretype mode, and you're trying to type in Multi-tap mode.
Before you start typing, click the menu button and choose 'Enable Multitap' from the menu.
Nope, it's in Multitap. I just went and enabled Suretype (I HATE Suretype), then disabled it and enabled Multitap just to be sure, and it that's what it's been on (Multitap). It doesn't do the double letters all the time, btw, maybe.. 2-3 times during a text. It's enough to be really annoying!
Old 04-04-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Actually, this is a multi-tap issue that has been present in all of the 4.2.1 OS versions but was better (although not gone altogether) in the later versions. I suggest updating to the latest for the 8100. That would be the best bet. I also suggest learning to use SureType as it's MUCH faster once you take the time to learn it and doesn't suffer from the double letter issue.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ilanguage.html

Last edited by John Clark; 04-04-2008 at 11:37 AM..
Old 04-05-2008, 07:28 AM   #6
kady05

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Actually, this is a multi-tap issue that has been present in all of the 4.2.1 OS versions but was better (although not gone altogether) in the later versions. I suggest updating to the latest for the 8100. That would be the best bet. I also suggest learning to use SureType as it's MUCH faster once you take the time to learn it and doesn't suffer from the double letter issue.

Well, I updated it to the 4.2.1.109 last night, and it's still having the issue. I think I'm going to just have to deal
Old 04-07-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
mattpsu03

Carrier: Cellular One

I am having the same issue so you are not alone

If you find an OS that works or a fix, let me know.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:31 PM   #8
strike2tamu
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900

Quote:

Agreed Suretype is great, doesnt take long to learn and get used to. ( I have always used T9 mode for my tmobile phones, so I already knew how to work it, but its not hard...much less typing.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:13 AM   #9
diko

Carrier: Turkcell

Hi, my first time here just like kady05.

I just recently upgraded two 8100 units (of TMO origin) used by myself and my dad to OS 4.2.1.107. Both units have the "double letter" problem mentioned here and they were never dropped into water before.

Another annoyance is with the Italian landline numbers on my addressbook. In Italy local area codes have a 0 at the their beginning, for example if you want to dial a number in Milan from abroad, the number would be something like +39 02 12345678, 39 is for Italy and 02 (without omitting the 0) for the area code of Milan.

Now, when I dial such numbers, the new OS thinks it's clever enough to take out the zero from the address book entry and dial +39 2 12345678, which of course fails to connect. All such numbers, I have to dial manually which is VERY annoying, immagine I work with theses contacts all the time.

These problems were surely not there in the old OS. In the lack of any fixes, any suggestions for how I can downgrade the OS would be highly appreciated...

Cheers
Old 07-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Upgrade to OS 4.5:

Old 07-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #11
diko

Carrier: Turkcell

Thanks, I will install asap, my hopes are with it!
Old 07-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #12
strike2tamu
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900

Good luck.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:02 AM   #13
kady05

Just wanted to update that I'm still having this problem, and it's worse than before. I have version 4.2.1.109 now. I saw someone suggested upgrading to the 4.5, so I went and made sure I had the updated Desktop Manager to try the upgrade, and now my Desktop Manager doesn't work. It loads, but won't let me click on anything after that, I click and nothing. My phone is connected to the computer, so I'm not sure what's wrong. I did accidently throw out the Roxio media manager disk, do you need that for everything to work (might start a new topic on that!)?

Has anyone updated to the 4.5 version and had the texting/typing issue (it's not just when I text, it's anytime I type) go away? That's what I'd really like to know.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:37 AM   #14
Moonshadow
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130
Carrier: TELUS

Wirelessly posted (8100 Pearl)

I think there is some really good advice here.

Other users have noticed the text issue works better in 4.5. Also if you are using mullyi tap is it possible you are accidentally hitting other keys? The keys are somewhat small.

Also follow the instruction carfully re upgrading not the DM and OS. Before upgrading the DM be sure to uninstall any previous versions.

Telus - 8130 - BES/BIS
Old 08-19-2008, 08:07 AM   #15
kady05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshadow View Post
Wirelessly posted (8100 Pearl)

I think there is some really good advice here.

Other users have noticed the text issue works better in 4.5. Also if you are using mullyi tap is it possible you are accidentally hitting other keys? The keys are somewhat small.

Also follow the instruction carfully re upgrading not the DM and OS. Before upgrading the DM be sure to uninstall any previous versions.
No, not hitting other keys. Like I said, if I'm trying to type 'what', it sometimes turns into 'qqggat' instead. The customer service rep. at T-Mobile told me to try typing slower. That sometimes helps, but not always, and I don't want to have to type slower, that was the point of me getting a Pearl!

I'll try uninstalling the desktop manager completely and then reinstalling it today to see if that helps that issue.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:08 AM   #16
bp3dots
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: BOLD
PIN: 24A8056C

you may also try checking in options>screen/keyboard - Key rate - If its on fast knock it down to normal. it will still be quick, but might eliminate the double letter issue.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #17
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
Just wanted to update that I'm still having this problem, and it's worse than before. I have version 4.2.1.109 now. I saw someone suggested upgrading to the 4.5, so I went and made sure I had the updated Desktop Manager to try the upgrade, and now my Desktop Manager doesn't work. It loads, but won't let me click on anything after that, I click and nothing. My phone is connected to the computer, so I'm not sure what's wrong. I did accidently throw out the Roxio media manager disk, do you need that for everything to work (might start a new topic on that!)?

Has anyone updated to the 4.5 version and had the texting/typing issue (it's not just when I text, it's anytime I type) go away? That's what I'd really like to know.
Yes, it goes away with OS 4.5.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:03 AM   #18
kady05

Quote:
Yes, it goes away with OS 4.5.
Ok, well I just uninstalled the DM and now I'm downloading the newest version. Hopefully it'll work this time and I can upgrade to the 4.5.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #19
kady05

I'm trying to upgrade now, and I'm not sure if it's working.

My phone has been completely lit up for almost an hour, and the screen shows a drawing of a phone & a computer on it. Is this what it's supposed to do? I've only upgraded once before, and it was awhile ago, so I can't remember if this is how it's supposed to work. Any suggestions? I figure I'll unplug it if it doesn't do something in another 30min. and try again. I did all the steps that were given, so I'm not sure what's wrong.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #20
kady05

Also thought I'd add that the DM still doesn't do anything when I click on the options (App. Loader, etc.). I click, and nothing happens. It does prompt me to update my phone when I open it now, and I click 'Update', but that's it.