Old 03-03-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
elan19
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Voice Recording is Awesome

Please Login to Remove!

There is little talk about the "Send Voice Note" application on the BB Curve but I just noticed it and I think it's a great feature for sending the following kinds of voice emails to myself or my wife (takes less than 10 seconds to do a brief note - that's what makes it so great):

* Details of a cash purchase (so can later enter it into Quicken at home - I was intending to buy TrackIt:Expense Edition but for the 3-5 cash transactions I do per month, it's less of a hassle to send them to my home email with the subject "Q").

* To Do list item (something to add to my list when I get home - maybe someday I'll keep a to do list on a phone but I tried that once a few years ago and it didn't work for me).

* Gift idea

* Something I need to remember to do as soon as I get home.

Perhaps I'll post a followup a few weeks from now to note how well this actually works in practice. My guess is that I will no longer forget ideas or things I need to do - and I will no longer write things on small scraps of paper.

My only wish is that I could reduce the number of keystrokes - ideally I'd hit one key (perhaps one of the two user assignable button) and it would immediately start recording and then when I hit the same button again it would send it to a default email address (mine). But even as is, it takes a about 10 key presses (start with a double click on the app to start recording), and all clicks can be the track ball if you send it with no subject, so that's quick enough to be very useful.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
kurrupt_1
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 2159FC90
Carrier: T-Mobile

It's nice huh!
Old 03-15-2008, 01:31 AM   #3
SamLvsBB

Model: 9780
Carrier: Bell / Rogers

these are great ideas... i never use the bb voice... i might have to now... thanks
Old 03-15-2008, 03:27 AM   #4
makedonce
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
PIN: 24AE6BA3
Carrier: T-mobile MK

I still havent figured out how to use it. I can record the note.. but the menu button doesn't bring anything up..
BB Support rule #1: When in doubt, pull it out..... (the battery)

http://www.twitter.com/petarnikoloski
Old 03-15-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

I wish they would give us the new OS with a REAL voice recorder.

How many more months?
Old 03-15-2008, 08:10 AM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

it is coming.... evenutally
Old 03-15-2008, 08:11 AM   #7
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

yes it is coming slowly but surely

I like the voice note feature in BBM
Old 03-15-2008, 09:29 AM   #8
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

"Evenutally" . . . . yes I am sure.

I still think it will be after the new generation of Blackberrys are introduced, late this year. Getting the new OS to operate on the current devices is the challenge
Old 03-15-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
dstrauss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

"Eventually" June will be here and I'll have the option to get an Exchange Activesync iPhone - then I'll have all the neat MM features that 4.5 is supposed to deliver...seriously, I have enjoyed the Curve 8310 better than any other smartphone (going all the way back to a Handspring with cell module), but I think the iPhone 2.0 software is going to crack RIM's armor. They really need to get 4.5 in the field before long (and before Dataviz shifts all its development cash to the iPhone as well).
Old 03-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #10
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Nothing having to do with MicroSoft will ever crack RIM's armor. Please remember that RIM is also going to be introducing new hardware and software and it will take more than a new iPhone feature to attract Blackberry owners to iPhone. If the makers of iPhone would actually give the iPhone owners half of what they promissed, they would be way more happy.

No keyboard = No love

Last edited by greggebhardt; 03-15-2008 at 04:09 PM..
Old 03-15-2008, 07:53 PM   #11
whdigital
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Go right ahead and get that iPhone 2.0 in June. Just make sure you're never in the middle of typing that Exchange email when your phone rings... With the new SDK from Apple, all 3rd party apps will quit when the phone is in use. No multi-threading/tasking!
Old 03-16-2008, 12:46 AM   #12
tdawg00
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
PIN: 24aa7bfa
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
"Eventually" June will be here and I'll have the option to get an Exchange Activesync iPhone - then I'll have all the neat MM features that 4.5 is supposed to deliver...seriously, I have enjoyed the Curve 8310 better than any other smartphone (going all the way back to a Handspring with cell module), but I think the iPhone 2.0 software is going to crack RIM's armor. They really need to get 4.5 in the field before long (and before Dataviz shifts all its development cash to the iPhone as well).
I wonder why the hundreds of MS mobile OS loaded on hundreds of touchscreen s phone havent dented the armor or the fact that as soon as this is release and some guy hacks into MS through the easily hackable iphone will they realize that the BB is the way to go in the enterprise market.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:42 PM   #13
MrSauga

Model: 8320
Carrier: Rogers
Default re; voice

BB 8320
1. record voice note
2. send as mms
3. defaults to last email sent
4. click ball
5 click "save draft"

Done, its in your email as send to draft
Old 03-29-2008, 11:28 PM   #14
Aquabob

Model: 8300
Default Try Jott

Check out Jott.com. It's a free service that's part of the Jawbone bluetooth headset site (but it's free, and you don't need a Jawbone to use it).

Jott is a free service that takes 30 seconds of your voice, and accurately transcribes it into text. You can email the text to yourself, or add people to your contact list and Jott others.

My wife uses it to update me on credit card and ATM purchases which I then enter into Quicken.

I use it to send lists of items that need to be taken care of to my office staff. I also use it to remember ideas, makes lists of things I need to do, etc.

Jott has also partnered with a few dozen companies that make plugin's to Jott; Google Calendar for instance. You can Jott 'Google Calendar', and it will place an appt. for you in your calendar.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:51 PM   #15
illusive

Wirelessly posted (curve 8310)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabob
Check out Jott.com. It's a free service that's part of the Jawbone bluetooth headset site (but it's free, and you don't need a Jawbone to use it).

Jott is a free service that takes 30 seconds of your voice, and accurately transcribes it into text. You can email the text to yourself, or add people to your contact list and Jott others.

My wife uses it to update me on credit card and ATM purchases which I then enter into Quicken.

I use it to send lists of items that need to be taken care of to my office staff. I also use it to remember ideas, makes lists of things I need to do, etc.

Jott has also partnered with a few dozen companies that make plugin's to Jott; Google Calendar for instance. You can Jott 'Google Calendar', and it will place an appt. for you in your calendar.
Sounds like some good stuff, ill def have to try it out ;)
Old 03-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #16
martinrrrr

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

I just signed up. Jott does work great, thanks for the tip.
Closed Thread